1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rosenthal] "This Phil Jackson Thing Is Really Frustrating"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by chongx04, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chongx04

chongx04 Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wow that was a good read. It was entertaining as hell. It goes to show how lucky we are with Morey and Les.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Rockets should go after Phil Jackson to play a role that Jerry West plays for the Warriors.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I don't know about that Carl. Morey and Phil don't seem like they would mix well. Philosophical differences to start Phil seems like a know it all.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Phil Jackson is basically just trolling the entire league in his retirement. He really does use his clout to get him involved in things he otherwise has no business being involved in.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Nice article. I especially liked the phrase "bats**t nesting dolls of speculation" and hope for the opportunity to use it often in my daily life.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I think that Phil Jackson certainly is qualified for the position and deserves a shot.

Having said that, this is looking more and more like a money grab for Phil Jackson. He said he will take the job, but he isn't leaving LA? How in the hell is he going to be in charge of basketball operations living on the other side of the country?

8. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Big fan of Seth Rosenthal's writing as well as his blog in general. One of the better team blogs on the internet.

He and his buddies also wrote We'll Always Have Linsanity, which was a fun read

9. chongx04

chongx04 Member

It seems more like some weird temporary position under the guise of "President of Basketball Operations" where the organization uses his name to convince Melo to stay. From a logical standpoint, that's the only thing I can see making sense. But...we are talking about the Knicks. This is most likely going to be a disaster.

10. MaoKhan

MaoKhan Member

what a pimp, he's got the Knicks by the balls

11. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Good read.

Question: If you were part of the 94-95 championship runs, then how can you like Big Chief Triangle?

Oh wait, you don't like him, you just respect him for his basketball acumen much like you respect Jordan's sklls. always a d-bag in my book.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would personally rather have Rudy T back in a front office role than bring in Phil Jackson to the Rockets in any role.

I think Phil Jax, while one of if not the most successful coach to ever coach in the league, is very overrated by the lure of what he did with the Bulls and Lakers.

He did a great job with the talent he had previously, but he's not a miracle workers, he's not going to turn water into wine, and he's not going to suddenly change the Knicks from the laughing stock of the NBA with an incomplete/overpaid roster into champions.

What the Knicks really need is a Daryl Morey or Sam Hinkie type rather than a superstar type. Forget "attracting the stars".... your the F-ing Knicks... people will pay to go to Knicks games, and you WILL get on TV... worry about being good and relevant. You do that by building a smart roster around your best players, drafting smart, and developing talent.

There are problems with bringing in a coach to be the GM and president of operations philosophically from the beginning, but bringing in Phil Jackson as that President or the GM adds another wrinkle to the mix.

I quote - This partnership of Phil Jax and the Knicks is doomed from the start. One of the dumbest things I've heard might be happening in professional basketball in years.

Phil Jackson- Way to screw with your legacy by attaching yourself to a dumb partnership just because you are bored and want to make more money. There are smarter ways to fill your day with activities.

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Uh, because the Bulls were in the eastern conference and we didn't play them in the finals? Not sure how being a fan in 94 and 95 meant you had to hate Phil Jackson. The Bulls were never a rivalry...back then it was more focused on San Antonio and Utah...even Barkley's Suns to an extent.

14. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Didn't imply that they were our direct rivals in the championships, only that most sports commentators put asterisks next to our two championships because those were the years that Jordan was out. So i have little fondness for the whole bulls organization from that era. Thats all.

On the Phil front, if Jackson was the all time greatest coach ever, maybe he couldn't win another championship without Jordan, i opine that he should have at least been able to get 11 of the remaining 12 players from a 3 championship team to at least the ECFs wihthout MJ.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Phil Jackson has 13 championship rings, he isn't going to screw his legacy. When the Knicks/Jackson union fails, Phil will write a book about how disfunctional the Knicks and Dolan are and claim that he was very limited in what he could do...... and he will be right. No one is going to give the Knicks and Dolan the benefit of the doubt.

Jackson gets what he wants most, money and attention.... and he gets to stir **** up in NY.... it is a win/win situation for him.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I really liked that too -- not sure why it didn't get more publicity. Maybe the weird cartoon cover or something. LOL.