1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rosenthal] Astros/Braves Trade Talks Fell Through

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Dec 1, 2014.

1. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

I don't get the bad contract on Upton take. The last 4 years he's averaged 26HR's, 83RBI's and a .350 OBP. What Astro has put up those numbers recently. In today's baseball that's not a bad contract for a left fielder who puts up numbers.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

eventually the team has to stop worrying about being the cheapest franchise possible and start worrying about putting a decent team on the field... we are going to have to over pay for anybody, nobody in baseball wants to play for us.

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Wrong Upton.

So the Astros are cheap for not wanting to pay a horrible player 45 million?

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Are you trying to say they are not cheap?

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

No I am asking you if the Astros are cheap for not wanting that horrible contract.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

they are cheap because they have proven to be cheap... them not wanting the contract just reinforces that fact

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i wouldn't take BJ's contract for anybody outside of teheran or freeman.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That deal was likely on the table for the entire league and nobody bit. Willingness to spend is important, but choosing to spend foolishly is a bad idea.

9. Storm the Field

LOL!

Also the "Astros are a bunch of cheapskates, and not taking BJ Upton's awful contract is just another example of how cheap they are" argument is one of the silliest I've ever come across on this board, and I was here for 4-5 iterations of the CSN thread, so that's saying something.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

im not saying that Upton necessarily is a guy you want to pay but in order for us to get better we are going to have to make some deals like that... it cost money to win, and sometimes you have to pay player A so you can have Player B

Our payroll is a joke, our franchise is a joke and they are not doing anything to fix that. If they dont start changing their reputation around the league than we are going to be doomed for a long time.

Players around the league look at us and see a franchise that isnt going to pay them and isnt trying to get better, so why would they think about coming here?

and seeing as how we keep whiffing on #1 picks, how exactly are we going to get any better?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They whiffed on Correa and Appel? They have failed in the major leagues? Man, I didn't even see one of their games.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

we understand this, but gattis is not worth bj upton's horrible contract.

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Exactly! That's the point!

In case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic lol

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How many other #1 picks failed to make it to the majors? Astros have 3 (Correa/Appel/Aiken), while the rest of baseball has 3 (Taylor, Chilcutt, & Bush).:mad:

1 person likes this.
  15. msn

msn Member

Wait, Correa and Appel failed to make it the majors?

Can you quickly tell me about the next dozen horse races, the next three SuperBowls, and the next Presidential election? Thanks in advance!

:cool:

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Shoot I'll take some info on tonight's nba games

17. juicystream

Joel Embiid can't even play for the worst team in NBA history. Complete bust.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

Correa was 18 when we drafted him...

and, fwiw, the draft in baseball is way more of a crapshoot than other sports. there have been countless #1 picks (as well as high first rounders) that did not go pro. thats just the nature of baseball.

calling correa and appel busts at this point because they've been in the minors for 1.5 and 2.5 years is a joke.

if you want immediate benefit from drafts, go watch the NBA or the NFL.

19. juicystream

If you can't tell I was joking, you clearly don't read this board enough.

I do want to ask about the countless #1 picks that did not go pro. All have eventually gone pro, except for Aiken. Minor Leagues are still considered pro-ball. There are 6 players in the history of the MLB draft to go #1 and have not played in the majors (3 of which never will). Do you mean first rounders in general, because they almost all play in the majors at 1-1?

Personally, I think Carlos Correa is special. I mean HOF special. Cal Ripken special.

20. vince

vince Member

Astros talent pool is deep. a lot of guys need to grow into their potential. but it could be a special team, built from the inside out.

Regarding the Aiken pick, they did the right move. No way you risk a #1 pick when your doctors can't sign off on the guy.

losing 3 guys in the Rule 5 draft is a sign of how deep the team is.