1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rosen]These Guys put some D in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9928972/These-guys-put-some-D-in-the-NBA

There's more at the link, but those were our guys - and I loved seeing flying Ryan listed.

#1 Hayesfan, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

since pippen :confused:

3. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

This is why Fox Sports is usually incorrect at everything they say. Usually, It's every blue moon when I actually believe what their writers say.

Yao is not a very good straight up defender, but is a good weak-side defender? :rolleyes: In my opinion, It's the other way around. Yao is probably the best post defender for the center position at the moment. Chuck Hayes is better than Yao at post defense, but Yao is also one of the best post defenders in the league. His shot blocking is nothing special though, 1.5-2.0 BPG, That's decent.

This is why I hate reading Fox Sports junk, just like last year when they said Wade, Yao and Battier were overrated and this year they are saying Chris Paul is overrated and Kevin Martin soft. :rolleyes:

4. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

Wow, that's a pretty smart article. First off identifying Chuck Hayes, who in my opinion is peerless in lowpost defense. Secondly, by pulling away from the hype of Dwight and especially Lebron. Insane blocks gets you dpoy. Good defense gets you second team defense.

5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I found this interesting.

6. Hayesfan

I disagree with you vehemently. A good straight up defender can get around screens on a pick and roll as well as keep fast players from rolling around them on a post move.

You're telling me that Yao is the best at either of those things at the center position?

He does those things as well as can be expected, but I agree he's a better help defender than one on one.

And I seldom agree with Rosen.

7. Naismith

Naismith Member

When it comes to the Rockets,anything is better than espn.

8. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

If you are asking me to ask a center to shut down a player like Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal, Dwight Howard, etc.... I'm taking Yao Ming before any center in the NBA currently. That in my opinion is a good, straight up 1 on 1, post defender. I do agree that he can't defend the pick n roll to save his life, but that more so has to do with help-side than it does with post defense.

However, as for the Article I agree with Chuck, Battier and Ariza. However, I strongly disagree with what he said about Yao Ming and especially Tim Duncan. So maybe me and the Article writer has different definitions of straight up defender.

I'm with you here though.

9. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Yeah...Yao and Duncan are good position defenders. I agree with most of the list though. Very rarely is Rosen correct on 80 percent of his content.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

This time, Rosen almost got everything right, his analysis on DH and LBJ is dead on. I guess that some ESPN people are going to cry after learning their defensive player,DH,is overrated by Rosen.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Holy you-know-what! I agree with Charlie Rosen!!!

The analysis of Dwight Howard was money. Dwight and Lebron are capable of great defense but neither guy is smart enough to be considered an elite defender. I've seen both guys get torched way too many times due to them not knowing what to do when their athleticism plus some effort didn't stop a guy.

He also took the words right out of my mouth when he said having KG on the floor is like having six defenders.

12. bucket

bucket Member

I think it's natural for a center like Yao, with great size and not-so-great quickness, to be a much better backstop in the lane than one-on-one or pick-and-roll defender. If he can hang out by the basket, he's golden.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if chuck hayes had any offensive game, he would be considered the best defensive player in the L b/c he'll play more.

dude toyed with KG in the post last year. TOYED.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

wut a tool! y rosen no praise aktual stars and fokus on dfensiv playa hoo no play offenze and allow opposing starz to rest on dfensive end. defensers are krap, teams need offensers to sukkeed.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What no bolding for Bogans? He was a Rocket too. :(

16. Hayesfan

Yes he was, but I didn't bold Ron either.. hang on.. i will underline Keith. ;)

17. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

IMO three players would not be on that list if weren't for Jeff Van Gundy: Keith Bogans, Ryan Bowen, Chuck Hayes. JVG made an already good defender in Battier to a top notch one.

18. Hayesfan

Actually I would say Tubby Smith started both Keith and Chuck on the right path... his ball line defense is a good training one for an NBA defense.

Also I would say that it wasn't just JVG but Tom Thib too :) Especially when you see how he improved the Celtics defense.

19. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Would yoi guys call me an idiot if I say Chuck is the 3rd best post defender in the L?

20. Hayesfan

If they do, they are calling Morey one too. He said that last year that Chuck was top five.