1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Sports Houston :-)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Now I'm counting on it launching Friday. Better not get postponed...

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Same. Currently setting up a Uverse appointment for installation (as long as my internet connection can stay on for more than 10 minutes which is uncommon for Comcast).

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Am I the only one that has never had any problems with comcast? Had them for 4 years, maybe only two internet outages. Never had any problems with their TV service and customer service always has helped me find ways to keep my bill lower when promotional offers are up.

And I never missed a Rockets game. I guess I am just lucky.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You are lucky (and this is coming from a comcast subscriber).

Comcast service is fine... when it works. If it doesn't, or there's an issue along the way with billing or equipment, it absolutely sucks.

I've been with them more b/c of a lack of other viable options... and their internet is still the best... but I DREAD having to get issues resolved with them.

I am impressed with the X1 setup, moreso the cloud services that basically turns any laptop/ipad/mobile device into your DVR box (can access live tv and recordings)... and considered myself lucky that the upgrade to these services went off without a hitch (and only required one phone call), but I consider that to be an exception rather than the standard.

Thankfully, they're still the largest single majority provider in Houston (an old TWC market), and will continue to need to be included/considered on all local sports team's broadcast decisions.

5. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

All cable/satellite/internet companies are going to give you problems. I've had both dish companies, Time, Comcast and UVerse and by far Comcast had the most problems. The Dish companies ruined several UFC ppv's for me due to weather, so never again with them. Time was ok but still had many problems, outages, ect. UVerse by far has given me the least amount of problems but, even UVerse has not been immune from frustrating me(Their modems have an issue with multiple next gen consoles playing online at the same time)but, i rarely have outages with them.

With that said i think a lot of it is just being "lucky", like you said. You gotta have good lines running to your house, apartment, it cant be raining, and find the right customer service rep, who is actually knowledgeable to enough to help you.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I had a problem with the initial installation of my service for Comcast, but never had an issue when it was up and running. I only had internet, though.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Comcast's actual products have always been solid for me, thought I do think DirecTV's television service is superior. Comcast's Internet is likely second to none unless you have a fiber option available to you. It's their customer service and the way that they've treated me in the pass that makes me hate them as a company.

I hate it that they're currently my only viable option for Internet outside of DSL. I also hate Verizon for stopping their Fios expansion and continuing to pipe crappy 2.5 mb/s DSL into my neighborhood as well.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

YAll arent the only ones.

I have had time warner/comcast cable internet since 99 and it has only gone down for any length of time twice not counting the Ike aftermath.

I also had their tv service thru most of that time and the only reason I switched was because of the crappy dvr and the package prices were lower with Direct even after the discounts dropped off. I've been told that the xfinity dvr is pretty solid but I like the Direct ones just fine right now so havent had any reason to switch.

9. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I've had Comcast for just four months now... 4 modems later, hours of calls, service calls they said would be free and then charged me for, and still spotty service, I'm done. I know part of it is luck but they have screwed me when it comes to doing what they said and the actual service itself.

If they would resolve the issues they said they resolved, I would be okay with the service... But they have yet to do it. I had Uverse before and will switch back. Its a crapshoot i guess, but i would rather take a chance with them than the slime that is Comcast.

10. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

From an article by Evan Dreillich at the Chron today:

"The Astros are projected to receive $58.5 million in annual rights fees from the new network."

How does this compare to what the Astros were getting from Fox Sports Southwest? I thought they were in the ballpark to renew at around $80 million with Fox before CSN Houston was born. Is that number right?

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

For the last few months my internet has been having a lot of outages.. it's been annoying but nothing too frequent. Although once a day for some reason all the channels in the 30s (which is ESPN and CSN) will stop working for 30 minutes..

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Some clarification on the CSN/Root Sports transition: The Rockets' Friday home game vs. the 76ers will be the final game on CSN Houston.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/532320687315095552">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets at Memphis on Monday is expected to be the first game on Root Sports Houston.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/532321200584683520">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

13. theimpossibles1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets at Memphis on Monday is expected to be the first game on Root Sports Houston.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/status/532321200584683520">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    [​IMG]

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Damnit... My Ballstreams subscription ends on the 14th.

15. E-Man

E-Man Member

So will the OKC game on NBA TV be blacked out on Sunday?

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Since there is no local broadcast to conflict with, the Rockets are gonna get the NBA to waive the blackout Sunday.

17. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Is it definite?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No confirmation, but there is absolutely no logical reason why the NBA would reject it.

19. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Any idea when ATT / Directv will let everyone know what channel the new network is going to be on?

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

They're working on channel set up right now. We should know by tomorrow, although I'm still gonna keep watching them on Ballstreams. Such a great product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.