1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo's 12.9 APG impressive?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MambaJoe, Dec 15, 2012.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

Incredibly stupid post.

Every great PG, from Magic to Stockton, has had someone equal or better to pass to. I guess all their Assists are "inflated" then.

2. TrillRocket$Boi

You guys are all completely wrong. Rondo is such a great PG that brings a different dimension to his team on both offensive and defensive boards. You all are just being biased. Link videos of him passing up "open layups" and then we can talk.

3. blunto

blunto Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AQC6oCi78x4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ccS7MDgrQuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FXTtny7IWWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He's shooting 51% from the field this year, I believe. His 3-pt shooting is terrible as always, but he's averaged taking just 0.6 3-pointers per game in his career; he's not killing his team that way.

The Celtics suck offensively not because of Rondo but because of their system and having a bunch of 50-yr-olds working half court sets that everyone in the league knows.

Anyway, hell yes his stats are impressive. I love Rondo.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good post. Give me Kareem, Worthy, Wilkes, McAdoo and on and on instead of Paul freaking Pierce and KG every day! :)

6. split41

split41 Member

The pierce flop at the end of this makes this video hilarious.

Classic.

7. split41

split41 Member

While I agree Rondos assists are inflated, how can you not be impressed. The guy is an elite traditional point guard, he's on his way to the HOF.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Really? Dude is so far averaging 10.9 points and 8.3 assists per game over his career on .515 TS%. For me those aren't HoF numbers, certainly not yet, and maybe not ever. His career average in PER is 17.3, good but not star-level. He has a one-dimensional game on offense.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He is not as good as Stockton or Magic, so he is overrated? Right.

If Rondo ever gets a team that can run, watch him average 15 assists.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

I love how people bring up that he played with KG,Pierce, and Allen. All 3 guys who have been injured or in some kind of struggle since winning the title.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Defense from a guard is not very impactful overall when talking about team defense. So he can limit the man he's guarding, so what? It's not as important as interior defense.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I suppose that might make sense if you talking about the history of the NBA.

The point now is that this is a PG-dominant league in many ways. So, if he can win that match up it can go a long way to controlling a series. Plus, he can guard Wade.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

My point to Rondo's assist being inflated is because instead of just playing within the flow of the game and making good passes, Rondo during most of the possession, he passes to get an assist. I know you don't agree with my point of view but the reason I believe his assist numbers can be inflated is because when he plays, he focuses on trying to get as many assist as he can while other PGs just play within the flow of the game like CP3.

Like I said, Rondo is a amazing talent and there's no denying that but I feel like whenever he plays, he seems to be trying too hard at times to get as many assist as he can. I've watch a tons of Celtics game this year and during that double digit assist streak he had, most of those games, it seems like he was so focused on trying to get as many assist as he can even though some of those passes are terrible passes. But again, this is my opinion, yours is different so I don't blame you for how you feel.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I was always a fan of Rondo's but I gotta say I lost a ****load of respect for him when he shamelessly played for stats in a blowout loss to the Pistons earlier this year.

15. trowa2

trowa2 Member

so many rondo haters lol

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seriously, what's the OP smoking?

Malone, may he rest in pieces, scored 36,000 points in 19 years, 18 years with his cheap smear of a butt buddy.

Magic had McAdoo, Worthy, and Kareem... all among the 60 greatest players in NBA history.

So what if Rondo passes than shoots the easy j? How do you explain the 10 other assists he's averaging?

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

That's the point, Rondo is a 10apg player (which is still great) stat padding to 12apg, whereas those other 2 (Stockton and Magic) were genuine 12apg players.

18. TebowTime

TebowTime Member

Wow that was a nasty pump-fake by Scola. I don't know why most big men don't to emulate Scola's post game and moves.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Rondo plays the passing lanes well but is by no means a good 1 on 1 defender. As usual, people check out his SPG and assume he's a good defender. Not the case.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Magic and stocktons and isiahs stats were inflated too. It was comical how many the the score keepers gave to them. No matter how you slice it rondo is every bit the passer that stockton was. Magic is at a different level because he was so tall

Why are you hating on rondo's passing. It's laughable for you to do so.