1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo Benched After Shouting Match With Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just another dumb basketball move by Cuban....if he ever wants success again he'll need to buy another team that already drafted a young HOFer like Dirk, so far that's the only way he's found success in basketball.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Me too -

"how many other ways do you want me to answer the same question?"
    "One - you haven't answered it yet"

The look on Carlisle's face was priceless - like he was going to bench that reporter for the rest of the season.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has always surrounded dirk with a lot of talent.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's tried, either way his success is tied directly to Dirk

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am so glad Dallas traded for him. He has yet to make the Maverick a better team overall. And they lost the assets in the trade.

Some people said that it was a low risk high reward kind of deal. I disagreed. It was high risk (or at least medium high risk) because (1) they paid some good assets to get him, and (2) as JayZ750 pointed out earlier, they paid the opportunity cost of not being able to be in the mix of getting other quality PGs (e.g. Dragic) at the deadline who could have help them more than Rondo.

The "fit" excuse for Rondo is BS IMO. He didn't "fit" in Boston after the championship team was blown up. Now he doesn't "fit" the Mavs. At some point, you have to say that the problem is not with the teams but with the player. If he is truly an all-star caliber player, he should fit anywhere.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

so mark cuban had nothing to with the pieces he acquired to put around dirk? :confused:

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Reading about chaos in Dallas warms my heart. Thanks, guys.

8. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I find it humorous they refer to the Rondo acquisition as a "blockbuster" trade. A lot of people mentioned he had attitude issues. Glad he didn't wind up a Rocket.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would be nice to have that kind of press in houston as well. having only one major newspaper in town has certainly watered down the journalism quality.

10. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Sure...

If you consider Lin, Boozer, and Nash as "Value"

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I still feel great about Rondo, but I think he's a terrible fit for the Mavs. With Rondo, you pair him with good players that move without the ball and he hits them the moment they're open. I have yet to see the Mavs offense run this way with him in the lineup. He brings the ball up and then starts the play that was already called by the coach. You have to treat Rondo like the coach on the court. He's not a great shooter, that's why you give him the ball and let him find the best shot available. If he ends up taking it, it's because he's the best option. Try to make him part of an offense and he's forced to make shots: fail.

You all watch Josh Smith. Very good passer, right? Pretty darn good in traffic. Rondo is light years ahead of Josh Smith when it comes to passing in traffic. I have yet to see Rondo make a play in traffic for the Mavs in about 6 games watched. That's not his style. Mark my words, if he finds a good fit, the entire NBA will be watching him once again.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can't believe this video isn't in here yet. The DAGGERS that Carlisle shoots that reporter (I believe Tim McMahon of ESPN Dallas) on that Rondo question!

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e28TTB7HiBk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If Rondo leaves Dallas (which I think he will to the Lakers) that means Dallas would have pissed away assets - 1st round draft pick, Brendan Wright, Jae Crowder - for nothing.

The kind of move Morey wouldn't make.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

They played the worst (1st) half of basketball I've seen of the Rockets all year

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Lol at Morey saying he was in talks with Boston only to bs Mark Cuban and screw them over

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree with this

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Again, where would that good fit be? I honestly cannot think of what team that would be on. Can't think of one.

We haven't seen Rondo play at an elite level in years. The Mavs were starting 33 year old Jameer Nelson at PG. Replace him with Rondo and their offense has dropped pretty badly and their defense hasn't improved by much.

17. sefant77

sefant77 Member

Yeah its not that Wright and Crowder are free agents this summer and the Mavs could sign them back as FA if Rondo leaves.

The only real asset they gave away was a 1st. That was a fair gamble on the Rondo trade.

18. sefant77

sefant77 Member

not much? You mean from #24 (playing EC garbage at the beginning of the season) to top-10 right now...yeah thats not by much.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

They are FAs but they arent FAs...unless Dallas overpays I think they stay with their current team. If Rondo leaves you think a first rounder is worth half a season of Rondo? Then what do you say about the Lakers who can sign him without giving up an asset? Or Boston who got a first rounder for dealing away a guy who was gonna leave anyway?

Mavs got ripped off, and they deserve it for overpaying for a pg when there are tons of good pgs in the league. Any of the pgs who got moved wouldve made them significantly better than Rondo.

20. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

roslolian is starting to talk free-agency again. Get ready, sefant! This is either going to be tragic or hilarious, depending on your level of pity for her.