1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo Benched After Shouting Match With Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 25, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Reeko, you are correct that Rondo is happy he was traded to Dallas, but you are incorrect if you think there was a condition on the trade that Rondo agreed to sign an extension with the Mavs.

To your point, the Mavericks didn't really give up much to get Rondo.

Rondo may end up re-signing with Dallas, I honestly have no idea, but I promise you that he didn't already agree to do so. He has every intention of exploring free agency and if the Lakers are willing to pay him a big contract he'd rather be there than Dallas.

2. hakeemthagreat

He needs to be in Houston. Rondo can't shoot, but he can penetrate & is a beast at pick and rolls. Carlisle wants things done his way. Mchale lets players do what the hell they want too. For Rondo:

Houston>Dallas

3. ch44

ch44 Member

I'm sure the Lakers thought the same thing about Dwight.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Glad that Mavs made a trade for him. I said repeatedly that he is no long good in the previous posts, the rockets should not make a trade for him. Glad that Morey did not go for him. Only dumb person like Barkley think Mavs are the top three team in West with Rondo.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

I couldn't disagree more. I'm unsure if Rondo is an elite PG anymore or not, but if we are taking Rondo at his best, he would be a much, much, much better fit in Dallas than in Houston.

He is a beast in pick and rolls? That is what Dallas' entire offense is.
    He is a good perimeter defender? (at least he used to be) That is what Dallas desperately needs. Although they are different, Beverley and Ariza fill similar roles on our team.
    Rondo needs the ball in his hands to effectively facilitate an offense. So does James Harden. Monta Ellis is effective at slashing and hitting pull up jumpers. Even though I don't think the backcourt fit is perfect with either of them, I think it works better with Ellis than Harden.

I'm not sure about Rondo. We haven't seen him as an elite PG in years. But even when he was, I don't think he would have been a very good fit with the way Houston is currently built.

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Well the good news, if he does end up in Houston next year, is that McHale doesn't call plays so they won't fight over that :grin:

1 person likes this.
  7. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

Houston PG need 3 pts and defense. Rondo?

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Unfortunately, I have heard several people, "media experts", say the same thing.

I was watching PTI the other day- not sure why I decided to torture myself that way- and Tony Kornheiser made a prediction about the Western Conference playoffs. He said he could see an upset in every round of the playoffs. It went something like this.

"I could see OKC beating Golden State. I could see San Antonio beating Memphis. I could see the Clippers beating Portland. And I could CERTAINLY, DEFINITELY see Dallas beating Houston!"

And he emphasized it just about that much. Almost like he was completely dismissing Houston.

I have just gotten used to it. The media has been down on Houston all year long. I hope we are able to prove them wrong when it matters- in the playoffs.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Have you seen Rondo try to shoot 3 pointers? Or free throws?

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rondo trade was horrible for the Mavs, not just because of the trade itself, but because they so jumped the gun.

For one, the team was playing great before the trade. Wright was hitting like 90% of his field goals. Their offense was tops in the league, and while they weren't a top 4 team in the West, they were doing very good.

Of course, they are still in the 5th seed, but like the rest of the top teams in the West, they've regressed since that hot start.

The bigger thing, to me, is who they passed up. Dragic would have been a beast as the PG on that squad. And would have been able to kind of be "the man" on that team in a sense. And might have actually said OK to Dallas... why, I don't know, Dallas sucks, but you never know. But all the PGs that got moved, with Rondo still on the market and Dallas in search of a point guard, those last few hours before the trade deadline would have been even more amazing.

Their loss.

1 person likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say a team like Sacremento. I'd like to see him there. He has to be a Alpha. Either 1a or 1b. He needs a group of guys that'll listen to him. Not saying that they'll get a whole lot of wins but I think that fits his game.

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

they came back to win the game.

dallas won.

13. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Worst case for Dallas, they decide not to keep Rondo, then execute a sign-and-trade with him. Whether he plays there or not next year, they'll still get some value out of him.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Rondo didn't play the rest of the game.

That they won probably has very little to do with some kind of emotive impact on the rest of the squad, and more to do with the fact that Rondo isn't really a net positive.

That's the worst case now. The worst case overall was the lost opportunity cost of perhaps trading for a better fit.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Regarding Rondo's impending free agency, this was the best I could find:

Rajon Rondo: Free agency not ‘closed,’ but Mavericks have ‘the upside’

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He can stay right where he is.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Or "had"....

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, he can not do either. Playing him with Howard together in the fourth Q. would be like waiting for something to be happened.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The post game interview with Carlisle made me LOL.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So where exactly does Rondo "fit"? Please don't name a perfect pie-in-the-sky situation.

Rondo's career peaked in Boston. He'll never be the same guy again. He's got a severe personality defect/disorder that will continue to plague whatever team he joins. "Fit" and conflicts with teammates & coaches are part of the package with this psycho.

He's living on past results and is trying to use it to land a huge contract this summer. Doc, KG, PP and Ray Allen won't be there to keep most of his explosions in a bottle. Even if they were, Rondo is older now and they probably couldn't.

From my standpoint, there's been a giant red flag painted on his forehead since his 2nd year in the league (which is when stuff about him become widely known outside Boston).