1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo a Maverick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wadero, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

and people keep believing rondo isn't going to upgrade them defensively which is pretty ridiculous. obviously its going to take the wait and see approach for many to see how rondo with affect dallas. nelson has been absolutely terrible for dallas. there was noway they were going to be able to go deep in the playoffs if they kept their current pg play before the trade.

2. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

You keep bringing up stats and I'm telling you Rondo is an elite player. He will put them on the next level, especially with Rick Carlisle.

Only think Mavs are missing now is some interior defense other than Tyson Chandler. I'm not sure if they can beat the Spurs or Grizzlies without it.

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This is actually super false.

Odds are given based on what they expect the betting public to take. Vegas/bookies aren't looking to give the best teams the best odds, they are looking for even money all around so it's 0% risk to them and they cash in their guaranteed 7.5-10%

That's why often times you'll see big market teams when they are just mediocre (LAL, NYK type) getting better championship odds than teams that are better than them, and getting spread lines that are higher (-11 instead of what should be a -8) because vegas KNOWS certain people will bet those teams regardless of the spread line because that's their team.

OKC is given good odds in spite of injuries because everyone and their mom knows they have 2 super talented players that are just hurt. If Vegas lowers the line to 100 to 1, a shark will buy millions on that line, which vegas doesn't want at all.

4. dragician

dragician Member

By the end of the season, they will have a different starting 5.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

You're confusing point spreads with futures. I explain it in more detail here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9416309&postcount=524

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9416393&postcount=526

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so of the 7 new players we brought in (ariza, terry, papa, black, dorsey, johnson, capela), only ariza (and perhaps terry) would be a playoff rotation player on a contender. meanwhile we lost parsons/asik, who would both definitely get significant playoff pt on GS/SAS/CLE/LAC/OKC/CHI. and i would have to say that GS's new coaching staff has been a very significant change this season.

also you mentioned that dallas has less flexibility going forward than we do -- don't they have ~$12M less in guaranteed payroll this coming summer? :confused:

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This was funny.

"You keep bringing the facts and I will keep bringing my opinion"

The amazing Carlisle was going to change Parsons back into a solid defender or so we were told in the offseason.

Rondo will help. He is far from elite these days.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

he likely doesn't need to even be elite, coming onto a playoff team already before he got there.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This guy gets it.

Nothing funnier than the guys who think they are putting "Morey lovers" into their place getting absolutely worked with actual facts.

If you would have layed out the injury scenario to all the Morey haters before the season started they would have told you that we would be .500 at best because they knew that the depth Morey acquired was garbage and what we lost would be to much to overcome. Looks like that depth isn't so bad.

People are still so infatuated with name players when they should be infatuated with the quality of play these guys are bringing. Hawes? Carter? Rondo? Names without a lot of substance this season.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm an ardent Mavs hater but there is no way that this trade does not improve Dallas. Do I think they will come out of the West? No, but before they were going to be a 7th/8th seed and now they can push for HCA in the Playoffs.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

The ball wasn't in Kidd's hands much during the Mavs' championship run.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Taking the ball out of Ellis' hands and giving away Wright, who was more valuable than Tyson Chandler: another bad decision by Mavs. . . .

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

wright more valuable then TC? yeah that makes no sense. Ellis is not a preferred playmaker, his job is to score and that's when he's at his best. and everyone should know he loves to shoot especially that midrange jumper game.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

you shouldn't be drinking so early in the day.

15. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

what's wrong with not playing off the ball? Harden can't play off the ball, that doesn't mean anything.

Rondo brings superior defense, passing, playmaking to the table. I'd say Mavs got a hell of a deal.

16. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Don't know why people keep talking about bench when we just lost to team that had none.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, the Mavs definitely improved. I'm glad they got him and not us, but I'm hoping we don't match up with the Mavs in the playoffs. Although that series would be intense with all of the bad blood between the teams.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

Rondo makes the Rockets the third best team in Texas once again.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Parsons will benefit a lot playing with a real PG. Hopefully his D improves with Rondo on the perimeter.

Mavs still not a legit championship contender. Still lack rebounding, and still lack elite defending. Now their bench is thinner.

They did improve, but not enough to surpass a healthy Spurs or OKC team in the West.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member