1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo a Maverick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wadero, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. PeppermintCandy

Wow. Dallas got a huge upgrade in talent while keeping their core roster intact. Plus, there's plenty of time in the regular season to bring it all together for the playoffs. Damn.

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

More lobs from Rondo and Tyson

3. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I am glad we didn't get Rondo. He would not have fit well with everyone else on the team. It won't work out well for the Mavs :)

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

How the hell is this the best package they could get?

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Unbelievable that's all it took to get the best pure pg in the game. While Maury continues to obsess over "flexibility," the Mavs are doing whatever it takes to try to win a championship now.

6. Raven

Raven Member

Why don't you wait until the end of the day before grabbing your pitchfork. Rondo would not have been a good fit next to Harden, and giving up assets just to #### block Dallas is silly.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's the right move for Dallas. Might not work out, but their current team needed something extra to get to the "elite" level and Rondo might just help them do that.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Clutchfans: Because Maury screwed up!!1!

NBA execs: Because ... we know more about Rondo than you do.

1 person likes this.
  9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Rondo will help defensively.

10. Chamillionaire

So true. I was one of the posters who thought Pels would be better because they look great... on paper.

11. PeppermintCandy

Not sure if Rondo would have fit in Houston, but he looks to be a great fit for Dallas. Will plays elite perimeter D that they sorely lacked, will playmake and set up their shooters, will PnR with and lob pass to Tyson Chandler. Plus, he will be driven to make this work, IMO.

12. dude1394

dude1394 Member

This i not quite understand. Jae crowder was just as likely to get a dnp as get time. Wright is a loss for sure that we will have to deal with. Jameer is one of four points on the team. Aminu/jefferson will get crowders minutes and they were doing it anyway.

13. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

can someone show us the advanced analytics of rondo vs wright

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wright was a very valuable player. Clutch off the bench.

15. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

dallas bench is empty, when Parsons pulls his back that's that.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Rondo is not off the ball guy. He radically changes the dynamic of that team. Good for Dirk and Parsons. Not so good for Ellis, who needs the ball a lot to create for himself.

Who is their back-up big now? They will learn how difficult it is to have no back-up big and no bench.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Rondo will turn Parsons into the superstar that he's destined to be.

18. gigantism

gigantism Member

Here's why I'm extremely skeptical of this trade from Dallas' perspective. The Mavs were already on pace to have a great offense, so obviously, the reason they aren't the runaway favorites to win the title is because they're ranked 22nd on defense, and it's hard to imagine a PG moving the needle there in any meaningful way. It's even harder to imagine Rondo improving the Dallas offense any further, especially considering his history of leading poor offenses year after year - Boston has not had an above average offense since 2009, and their offense the last 3 years has been truly terrible. I'm just skeptical of any point guard as incompetent at shooting (and really, scoring in general) as Rondo being able to lead a historically great offense - their spacing is going to be noticeably worse now with Rondo.

The other thing that makes me super skeptical of Rondo is that the last 3 years, he's actually had a NEGATIVE on/off, meaning his team actually performed better with him off the floor. With a junk roster like the one the Celtics had the last 3 years, it should've been very easy for a star to improve the team's play while on the floor.

They'll be all flash and no substance.

19. MONON

MONON Member

Probably Parsons, with Dirk the backup 5 & Jefferson & Aminu handling the backup 3. They may even try Powell there.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think giving up Wright is going to be very important. Tyson Chandler's health is a big concern.

I still think Rondo is overrated. What he will help the Mavs is defense. Their defense is what is preventing them to be a contending team. Rondo has always been a big gamble for any team that gets him. He is not an easy guy to gel.

But I don't blame Dallas for taking that gamble. The West is just too tough. They have to do something to be competitive.