1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ronda Rousey's my dream girl - UFC 184

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by what, Feb 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I think it's the celebrity status + so-so looks + champion stature that would make it arousing for some males here.

I personally don't find her to be the "prettiest" in the wrestling world, and there aren't many, save for maybe Carano and the ones mentioned above. :eek: I would NOT kick her out of the bed, nor would I say she has pointy elbows, by any means... and she's a bigger lady, which is a plus if it were for me.

What happened to Gina Carano? Not in the same weight class, are they? I don't know much about the weight classes...

[​IMG]

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Kayla Harrison look OK.

[​IMG]

Nobody looks that great right after a match with frizzy hair and all.

Ronda Rousey is more famous primarily because there is far more MMA coverage than there is judo coverage. Judo is just one of those Olympic sports that people pay attention to 1 out of every 4 years.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I believe she is an ACtresssss now. Regardless of what she is, she is still the Queen of beautiful MMA chicks. (Swoon):eek::):cool::grin:

4. VanityHalfBlack

Well, looks like her dominance in the UFC has finally pinned her a starring role in an action movie alongside none other than Iko Uwais the guy from The raid movies. If you don't know what the Raid movies are, I don't know what else to say besides they've raised the bar pretty ******g high for action movies. Here is a clip to one of the best fights scenes in the raid 2, THE KITCHEN FIGHT:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UZCEZ1iRf_E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rousey, "Raid" Star Team For "Mile 22"
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/36007/rousey-raid-star-team-for-mile-22

Filmmaker Peter Berg ("Lone Survivor"), UFC fighter Ronda Rousey and "The Raid" star Iko Uwais are all teaming for the action thriller "Mile 22".

The story explores the relationship between a CIA field officer (Rousey) and an Indonesian police officer (Uwais) forced to work together as they confront violent and extreme political corruption.

The project will mark Rousey's immediate next project with filming to begin mid-May. Berg is slated to produce, while Graham Roland penned the script.

Rousey makes appearances in both "Furious 7" and the "Entourage" film which both open this Summer.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Carano was having trouble making weight and once Soderbergh cast her in "Haywire" - imagine if Rothrock or Lesseos had gotten that type of opportunity - it probably didn't make sense for her to risk losing to the upcoming generation of fighters.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kayla Harrison doesn't look bad but I doubt she will make 'Women Clutchfans love" material either. If she does go to UFC I'm guessing she will do as good as Ronda Rousey but I'm not sure she will get as much fame as Ronda does simply because she isn't what is considered typically sexy.

Just to add I haven't heard anything about Kayla going to UFC. I hope she does so she get's a chance to get more widely known and make some good money.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Her vs Rousey would be a good fight to watch.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/5...etically-i-could-beat-100-percent-of-ufc-mens

Ronda Rousey: Theoretically, 'I could beat 100 percent' of UFC men's bantamweights

Maybe Joe Rogan was being generous with his estimate.

Ronda Rousey said on ESPN's SportsCenter on Thursday that she could defeat "100 percent" of UFC men's bantamweights given the right circumstances. Rogan, the UFC's color commentator, said earlier this week that he thought she might beat half of them.

"I never say that I'm incapable of beating anybody, because I don't believe in putting limits on myself," Rousey said. "So I mean, I would have to say if you're just talking about what's in the realm of possibility of what's possible of who I could beat, well I could beat 100 percent of them. You can't tell me that there's a zero percent chance that I can beat anyone on the planet, so I'm never gonna say that."

Remember: The UFC women's bantamweight champion has also said she could theoretically beat heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez, so this is not new territory for her.

Rousey (11-0) is coming off a 14-second finish of Cat Zingano via armbar at UFC 184 on Saturday in Los Angeles. Almost immediately, the talk oddly turned to how she would fare in a fight against a man. Rousey said she doesn't mind the comparison and joked to ESPN that she would "throw that idea out there" in a meeting with the UFC on Thursday.

"I'm not offended," Rousey said Thursday on The Dan Patrick Show. "I really don't think that's serious. I consider it a compliment that people will even consider it."

Why is it that Rousey, 28, seems to be so much better against her competition in the women's 135-pound division? She said it isn't the opposition's fault necessarily -- she has just been groomed for this as a judoka since she was a kid. Rousey won the Olympic bronze medal in judo in 2008.

"It's not that they're lacking anything so much," Rousey said on SportsCenter. "They decided later in life that they wanted to be a fighter. A lot of these girls already developed a personality and had a life and one day they decided, 'I'm gonna give it a try.' Whereas, this is literally what I was raised to do."

However, beating Zingano in just 14 seconds seemed to surprise even Rousey. "Rowdy" called it a nearly flawless performance.

"I looked through it and there literally isn't a single wasted movement the entire fight," Rousey said. "I wish I could have reacted a little sooner maybe with her charging at me. I can't say a single bad thing about it, except for my reaction time in the beginning. If you watch it frame by frame, literally I did a backwards cartwheel off my face. I didn't plan that at all. But if that's your reaction at the moment, I guess you planned something right."

Rousey told Dan Patrick that she has heard her next fight could be at the end of summer, around August. But those details will likely be hammered out in a meeting with the UFC on Thursday afternoon. Rousey will be filming a movie called "Mile 22" in May, so her training camp will have to come after that.

And winning in 14 seconds? Rousey considers that a good thing when it comes to longevity.

"I want to win with maximum efficiency and minimum effort," she told Dan Patrick. "People forget that the shorter the fights are, the more fights that I can have. I feel like I'm actually making my career longer this way."

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Also
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qCWuJk1F0YU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This guy is an idiot. There is a reason why we teach how to fall properly first before we let people take falls.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Would any UFC male fight Ronda, if given a choice?

If the guy loses, then he'll have lost to a woman.
    If the guy wins, then he'll have beaten someone who he probably should have beaten, as dictated by society.

It's a lose-lose for the guy, but it's a win-win for Ronda. She loses = oh well. She wins = first woman to officially beat a man + no other woman would probably think to challenge a dude.

That kind of psychological advantage is huge.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Seriously? Out of all the posts in this thread and bigtexxx has the most sensical one.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Lol....

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Dream girl? Smh

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's pretty much exactly what I said earlier in the thread. It's not about style anymore. Everyone knows what skills are needed to win in mma. It's about being a world class athlete and perfecting those skills and Ronda is a olympic athlete fighting against tomboys that picked up fighting in their adult life.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kayla has 20-30 pounds on Rousey. Kayla could fight Cyborg without Cyborg having to cut weight.

16. torocan

torocan Member

It's actually hard to say what Kayla's fighting weight would be.

Unlike MMA, in judo competition the weigh ins take place the day of the match, so large weight cuts don't happen.

For example, Rousey has a walking around weight of 150ish (fights at 135), but competed in Judo at 153. Cyborg walks around at 170 but fights at 145.

As for Kayla transitioning to MMA, it's really hard to say how well she would do. I don't know Kayla's fight style that well (I don't really follow international Judo competition), but from what I understand is that most international Judo competitors specialize in throws (nage waza) vs ground grappling (newaza). IE, there are actually numerous Olympic level Judoka that don't have exceptional ground games (newaza)

Rousey is very unusual in that she was taught from a very young age to focus heavily on newaza (ground grappling) by her mother. Part of this was because her mother (Dr. Anna Marie Demars) suffered injury during her judo career (she was the first american to earn Gold in the world championships in 1984) that made it difficult to execute throws efficiently. Additionally, arm bars specifically were heavily focused upon as Rousey's mother believed that Judo officiating was biased against Americans. This made chokes impractical versus arm bars as the officials would stand up the opponents too quickly.

Thus the stories of Rousey's mother ambushing her daughter around their home with arm bars.

Given the short time constraints allowed to execute your move in practical judo competition, the main idea behind focusing on newaza and arm bars is that a person can fight off a choke longer than an armbar. IE, once an arm bar is in the other person has to submit or their arm breaks and the match is over before the referee can intervene.

Rener Gracie elaborates upon this difference in Rousey's specific approach to Judo and how it influences Rousey's fighting style versus the approach of Brazillian Jiu Jitsu in his last Gracie breakdown at the 12:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q17OFCfp8mc

That said, regardless of whether Kayla is highly skilled at newaza, she would still have exceptional skills in terms of taking opponents to the ground via throws, picks and trips, and would most likely have elite skills when it comes to transitions.

On a side note, a highly under-rated portion of the very high level judo competitor is the ability to reverse a throw through o soto gari (commonly known as the Zantaraia counter as he's famous for it). That's the ability to be thrown and invert/cartwheel/twist your body to neutralize the throw and even turn it to your advantage.

Here's a video of Georgii Zantaraia demonstrating it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6Nhhy6IY0

If you rewatch the Rousey fight in slow motion, what's you'll see after the knee kick is that Zingano gets an underhook on Rousey and attempts a hip throw. Rousey however executes an o soto gari counter by cartwheeling on her head/neck and then following through on the momentum to roll Zingano over.

In the UFC, there's a very, very small number of fighters that are even capable of that counter, let alone would be aware enough to execute it during an actual fight.

As an Olympic gold medalist I would assume that Kayla would be fully versed in throw counters as well as throws. The main question in terms of how her judo would translate to MMA would be how much time she spent working on newaza vs simply waiting for an official to stand her up.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Serena and Venus Williams said they could beat any man ranked 200 or worse in a game of tennis. Karsten Braasch, ranked 203, accepted the challenge and easily beat them, 6-1, 6-2.

18. torocan

torocan Member

To be fair, that match was in 1998 when Serena Williams was 17 years old and ranked #96, IE, before she actually was any good.

And it was a single set (not a full match). It's not uncommon for tennis players to lose an entire set 6-3, 6-2, 6-1, and even 6-0 against greatly inferior competition.

For example, in 2003 Lleyton Hewitt (1) lost to Ivo Karlovic (203) at Wimbledon. Not only was Hewitt seeded #1, but he also was the defending Wimbledon champion. The score of the first set? 6-1.

Would Serena Williams in her prime ranked at #1 beat a sub 200 ranked male tennis player over a full match? Possibly. Probable? No idea as that match has never happened.

As I like to say, sample size...

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

you really need a greater sample size to know that male elite tennis players > female elite tennis players?

20. torocan

torocan Member

No, however, I would need a sample size to say that Serena Williams couldn't beat that guy. 1 set wouldn't be sufficient as it would be like playing HORSE to a score of 5.

Similarly, I would need an actual full match to say that NO professional man could lose to any professional woman.

The big debate over Rousey vs Men is that some believe that Rousey can beat some number of professional UFC male fighters (whatever number that is whether it's, 1%, 5%, 50%, etc), and some believe it's zero.

Personally, I believe in the idea that styles makes fights.

I believe that there are male Bantamweights that would be even matches or underdogs to beat Rousey, IE, they don't have knockout stopping power (needed if you can't grapple well), and they don't have sufficient grappling skills or take down defense to offset Rousey's skill advantage.

That said, I don't think any of those men would be ranked in the top 10 of Bantamweight. Maybe not even the top 15 or 20. However, there's usually 30 or more fighters in a weight class in UFC.

And if you're talking crossing weight classes, we also have to remember that there are two weight classes below bantamweight. Flyweight tops at 125, and straw weight tops at 115.

Are folks also going to argue that Rousey wouldn't be able to beat ANY man who fights at 125 or 115? Men may be inherently stronger at equal size and weight, but when you're talking giving up 20 pounds that makes a BIG difference.

To get a better idea of how much top end strength changes with size and mass here are the Olympic Clean and Jerk records at the lowest 3 weight classes.

69kg (152 lbs) - 196kg (432 lbs)
    62kg (136 lbs) - 177kg (390 lbs)
    56kg (123 lbs) - 137kg (302 lbs)

Ie, the argument of strength being significantly greater within a similar weight class due to physiological differences between genders is true, those differences shrink considerably as you start talking about significant weight disparities. In other words, even if you subscribe to the argument that a Bantamweight male having a peak strength of being 50% to 2x the strength of an equivalent Bantamweight female, that strength advantage drops to 0% to 50% when you're talking a Bantamweight female against an equivalent straw weight male.

This drop in strength as you decrease physical size is the whole reason they have weight classes in the first place.