1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul Responds to TSA: Introduces 'American Traveler Dignity Act'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rtsy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I remember in post 9/11 NYC, it was the NYPD conducting searches at subway entrances. you had the right to decline being randomly searched. they had to let you walk.

with the new Houston rule, do you have the right to decline a search before getting on the bus?

2. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lol... the response.

"being on a bus is a privilege, if you want to decline the search, you cant ride"

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

If that's true, I'll drive. It's hard to avoid the airport stupidity, but I can avoid this easily enough.

4. Classic

Classic Member

Damn. What's next?

"Walking in a mall is a privilege"?
    "Going to a baseball game is a privilege"?
    "Sitting at a park is a privilege"?
    "breathing air is a privilege"?

Of course, these career politicians will just keep getting voted in over and over.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just to be nitpicky but driving is a privilege also and the USSC has already backed random stops of drivers.

Anyway this seems like a stupid policy and one that is likely to cause way more problems than it might solve. Then again so have TSA searches.

6. rhadamanthus

We've already had this discussion earlier in this thread. Long story made short - it's not comparable. However, your nitpickiness is duly noted.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Papers, please.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this. that's why I was asking. can anyone clarify?

9. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Metro is publicly funded, as are the airports and most roadways. It's an easy angle for TSA to claim they can do WTF they want.

I'm not lawyer but it seems it should be illegal without probable cause. A cop, who's trained and sworn in, cannot randomly pull you over on a public road and search you or your car. At least not legally.

Will it get to a point that if a person is in public he or she will be subject to random search or interrogation? This would mean my privacy ends once I reach about 1/3rd down my driveway.

10. rhadamanthus

More lunacy from the department of molestation.

This stuff just pisses me off to no ****ing end.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

12. Hightop

Hightop Member

Houston Bus Riders Say No to TSA

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e-nhKM3gEGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. rhadamanthus

14. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

15. rhadamanthus

^^^^MoonDogg seems to have nailed it...

link

Idiots. Complete and utter power-tripping idiots.

1 person likes this.
  16. rhadamanthus

More hijinks.

18-month-old baby pulled from flight, parents interviewed by TSA

Pretty clear incident of profiling. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

17. Hightop

Hightop Member

hahahahahahahahaha

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ry-due-to-sex-abuse-allegations-works-at-phl/

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://CBSPHL.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=574792;hostDomain=video.philadelphia.cbslocal.com;playerWidth=400;playerHeight=300;isShowIcon=true;clipId=7325915;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=CBS.PHILLY%252Fworldnowplayer;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=fixed'></script>

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The CBS 3 I-Team has learned that a Catholic priest who was removed from the ministry over sex abuse allegations now holds a sensitive security post at Philadelphia International Airport.

The security checkpoint between Terminals D and E is a busy place where thousands of people – including lots of kids – pass through every day. But you might not believe who the I-Team observed working as a TSA supervisor at that checkpoint this week: Thomas Harkins.

Until 2002, Harkins was a Catholic priest working at churches across South Jersey. But the Diocese of Camden removed him from ministry because it found he sexually abused two young girls. Now, in a new lawsuit, a third woman is claiming she also is one of Harkins’ victims.

The I-Team asked Harkins about the suit as he was leaving his shift at the airport.

“I have nothing to say,” was Harkins’ reply.

The new lawsuit, filed in federal court against the Camden Diocese says quite a bit. It accuses Harkins of sexually abusing an 11-year-old girl 10 to 15 times in 1980 and 1981. The lawsuit, filed on behalf of the alleged victim, claims the abuse occurred while Harkins was a priest at Saint Anthony of Padua parish in Hammonton, NJ, with one assault even occurring in Harkins’ bedroom at the rectory.

The I-Team asked Harkins if the traveling public should be worried.

“No, they shouldn’t be,” he said.

“The public should not be worried with you in a position like this despite your past?” reporter Ben Simmoneau asked.

“I have nothing to say,” Harkins repeated.

He then used his TSA badge to walk into a restricted area where our cameras could not follow.

“They should know who they’re hiring,” said Karen Polesir, a Philadelphia spokeswoman with the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP). She believes Harkins’ TSA job is inappropriate.

“As the public, we are screened to our underwear getting on a plane, and yet they hire a man like that.”

A TSA official tells the I-Team Harkins’ title is “Transportation Security Manager, Baggage,” meaning he deals mostly with luggage, not passengers.

“Sure, that’s his title,” Polesir said. “That doesn’t mean that’s where he stays, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t fill other roles when necessary.”

The TSA says all its employees go through a criminal background check before they’re hired, but because these cases are so old, criminal charges were not filed. A spokesman says the Camden Diocese settled the first two lawsuits with Harkins’ accusers–it has not seen this suit just yet.

18. rhadamanthus

1 person likes this.
  19. Classic

Classic Member

Thanks for keeping up with this mockery.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You do not have to go through any of the security measures. Just do not fly. You do not have a right to get on an airplane...when you choose to do so, you consent to security.