1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul Responds to TSA: Introduces 'American Traveler Dignity Act'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rtsy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

...?

How is a private corp more vulnerable to lawsuits than the federal government? A broken law is a broken law, no matter who is doing it, no? And what law would they be breaking as a private company? How are you entitled to exemption from a private companies security process? If you don't like it, then fly another airline, eh?

I'm sorry, but not all privacy issues are equal, especially to the security they bring.

Privacy of my home... my medical records... my internet search history (lol)? Important.

Privacy of my junk while getting on a giant flying missile with a 100 or so other people? Not as important.

Scan me, but do it quickly, efficiently, and as cost-wise as possible.

That being said, I think security screening should be left to the airline itself, and not the govt... because chances are if the terrorist plot has thwarted the CIA, FBI, and military... then the folks at TSA don't stand much of a chance.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the 4th amendement violations are the most obvious - we have a right to not be treated like criminals when we fly. our children have a right to not be molested by a stranger when they fly. women have a right to not have their breasts felt up when they fly.

and its a fact that the body scanners emit a low-level of radiation so there are health concerns there.

and the fact that former fatherland security chief chertoff advocated for and bought the scanners, then when he leaves his job promptly gets hired by the very company who makes the scanners - that should be investigated.

everything has been done incrementally - first you take off your shoes and belt, then you cant bring liquids on, then bottles over 3 oz...now its naked body scanning and getting felt up by some minimum wage, high-school drop-out, wanna-be mall cop. if people will accept this what wont they accept?

as for the underwear bomber, the airport in amsterdam had 19 body scanners in use at the time and he did not have to go through one. he was brought to the airport by a yet unidentified man, paid cash for a one way ticket and he also did not have a passport - he was able to board w/ a visa. also his father had told the u.s. embassy in nigeria that he might be trying to commit an act of terrorism. despite all this he was still able to board the plane. also, several passengers on the plane reported seeing a 2nd man calmly videotaping the whole incident, but the fbi never id'ed or questioned him. who was this person?

if 'authorities' has been following through on the procedures already in place the underwear bomber would have never gotten on the plane. but the response from 'authorities' is not to actually follow though on procedures already in place, but to start naked body scanning and sexually molesting everyone including grandmas and little kids...its disgusting and the fact that so many americans are fine w/ this is very scary - we are heading down a dangerous path in this country.

it should be clear to all at this point that "the terrorists" have won.

4. justtxyank

When the terrorists figure out that they can stick a small bomb up their rectum and still detonate it with a cell phone are you going to continue to approve of the TSA's security measure when it involves a free colonoscopy to board an airplane?

1 person likes this.
  5. justtxyank

I'm not a dad yet, but I just won't fly before I let some potential perv on a powertrip mess with my child like that. If a teacher did what the TSA does in this case to a child, we'd be wondering if the child would have nightmares for the rest of his/her life and become a detached serial killer with anti-social behavior.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Point taken.

But, I still have no problem walking through an X-Ray, as long as it is efficient and cost-effective.

But... at the end of the day, it seems if you're trying to stop terrorists at the boarding gate, it's too late really.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the body scanners are very expensive and time consuming, so are you saying you are now against them?

8. justtxyank

How often do you fly? Some people fly quite a bit for business purposes and forgive me if I don't just willingly trust my government and corporations with financial interests at stake when they say the radiation has no side effects. My wife develops breast cancer because she flies a lot and does not want some TSA perv cupping her breasts it won't do us much good to hear an "OOPS" from some billion dollar company when they are wrong.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

i think i'd rather be felt up then agree with Ron Paul ;)

...i just don't see the big deal. You guys must be much prettier then I am, because i just haven't noticed them paying much more attention to me then before ...and other then not being able to bring a bottle of water on board and having to double check I'm wearing socks without holes i haven't really been overly inconvenienced. I wee bit extra time, mitigated by a good selection on my ipod.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Pretty much.

I guess I should know better than to trust the government to do something cost effective and time-saving.

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

My understanding is that there are a number of barriers in place that make suing the federal government in regard to this somewhat challenging. On the other hand, it's quite simple to sue a private company - and they are, to a certain extent, monetarily limited in how far and how long they can fight it.

I cannot believe you actually wrote that. A private company's security policy does not trump law or nullify legal recourse - in this case an obvious invasion of privacy tort. More to the point, the argument is a red herring so I won't waste any more effort addressing it.

I don't have an issue with the idea of security and I am not advocating some sort of security-free-for-all. I am simply demanding limitations be put in place to protect us from stupid and ineffective measures that waste our time, money, and decency for nothing. You seem to be struggling to grasp that concept.

#31 rhadamanthus, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I totally agree.

13. rhadamanthus

As an aside, I am flying Wednesday morning. I'll happily post my experience here as I have no intention of going through a scanner.

I'm tempted, when the TSA goon informs me of his intent to fondle my balls, to reply "whatever gets you off, sparky."

14. justtxyank

I forget my law sometimes. Can a department store enact a rule that all customers must either take a nude photo or allow an employee to feel their genitals in order to shop in said store?

15. justtxyank

You should say "You know how I know you're gay?"

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I fly at least once a month and at airports with no body scanners, they feel you up big time. I not the shy type so I don't really care some homo perv gets off by touching my groin, but I would have a serious problem with someone doing the same to my wife or children.

17. rhadamanthus

Perhaps we should ask Donny, lol.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

....seriously? contact? Yuck. I've always walked through the scanners and had them wave the magic wand like they're an old guy looking for treasure at the beach.

For what it's worth -- the guard probably hates it more then you do.

19. justtxyank

:grin:

I think the answer is obvious, but what do I know!

It illustrates my point though. This is ridiculous.

20. rhadamanthus

Probably a wise manuever.

I cannot post that last link enough. If you have not read it, do so. It's outrageous.

EDIT: If I was a remotely attractive woman I would be terrified to go through security. Thankfully, I'm an ugly guy but just thinking about my wife going through this makes me cringe.

#40 rhadamanthus, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010