1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul Responds to TSA: Introduces 'American Traveler Dignity Act'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rtsy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Link please.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

turn on CNN....im sure they will show the debate again where the numbers were reported and not argued by the civil rights fool who, when asked what HIS solution would be, avoided the question like the plague and went on to say that the reason people arent seeing delays in lines is due to the weather in the midwest and people are more concerned with not getting bumped off their flights.......which i guess means that as long as they are in a rush, its ok for a protester to go thru a scanner

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

No thanks.

4. NJRocket

well u can pretty much turn on any news outlet of ur choice...its being reported quite often throughout the day

all that said....my ex and my kids went thru security at IAH earlier today and said there were no protesters, no holdups etc

5. rtsy

rtsy Member

The media supports the state. http://reason.com/blog/2010/11/19/the-statist-media-ctd

More sniffity statism from your nation's editorial boards:

New York Times:

Some individual pat-downs have gone too far, and the T.S.A. was ham-handed in answering those concerns. But the Obama administration should weather this storm by realizing these attacks are purely partisan and ideological. Americans know the difference between a big scanner and big government.

Louisville Courier-Journal:

At what point did Americans turn into a nation of crybabies?

Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Don't like searches? Agree to body scan

Rochester Post-Bulletin:

Grin and bear it

Houston Chronicle:

The hysterical hullabaloo over airport security procedures is a waste of time

Bakersfield Californian:

Assume TSA has good reason for intrusive frisking

Seattle Times:

TSA is constantly evaluating and updating screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats.

The goal is to employ state-of-the-art procedures to protect the flying public. Passengers who cannot handle these methods are not forced by anyone to travel. They should opt out, all right ... of flying.

The Tennesseean:

Rather than trying to slow down the security process at airports, travelers should do all that they can to keep it running smoothly.

Roanoke Times:

If protesters really want to make their point, they should hit where it hurts -- the pocket book. Don't fly at all. Drop a note to airlines letting them know they have lost business and it won't return until things improve.

While you're at it, include a note about airlines' ridiculous add-on fees. If anything deserves a protest, it's those.

Boston Globe:

The new "enhanced" patdown by airport screeners has sparked an unfortunate backlash among some fliers and privacy advocates

Springfield Republican:

Let's consider these searches the 21st-century equivalent of a WWII rationing card.

Polls show that most Americans accept the scanners. The public and Congress can also insist that the TSA improve its technology and procedures.

But it's never easy to balance liberty and security, and 9/11 showed the need for vigilance. As the British would say, let's not get our knickers in a twist - even if the twist shows up on the scanners.

Santa Fe New Mexican:

Much of the outrage springs from ignorance: Protesters somehow think that the attendants around the machines are peeping Toms, staring salaciously at you, then your private parts. But the images taken by the scanners only show up in a separate room, there to be viewed by an inspector who has no idea who he or she is actually looking at.

B-b-but even if it isn't the indecency of it all, it's the principle of the thing, comes the bellowing from the would-be offendees. Well, yes — so, for the moment, you can stand, or bend over, on principle and suffer attendant indignities.

Sacramento Bee:

Would you rather board a flight with all passengers fully screened, or one for which they haven't?

If they're honest about it, the answer is obvious to even the most ardent civil libertarians.

Spokane Spokesman-Review:

TSA isn't at fault here, though. TSA is on our side. The underwear bomber and his allies and sympathizers, whoever they are, are the real culprits. [...]

[M]odest traveler inconvenience is a reasonable price to pay for a little added peace of mind.

Extra baggage fees? That's altogether different.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ouTyLqT9WuI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ouTyLqT9WuI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

6. NJRocket

and there are many times when the media does not support the state.....not sure what ur point is?

The media also thinks Kubiak should be fired......do u disagree?

7. SunsRocketsfan

where are you flying in from? Depending if you are in the commuter terminal, terminal 1 or terminal 2 you may or may not have the new scanners. The new scanners are only being used in terminal 2 right now I believe which is for longer flights. Shouldn't be as crazy also with thanksgiving week over. Enjoy your trip!

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They should make people fly nude.

9. SunsRocketsfan

for anyone traveling here is a list of airports that are currently employing the new nude scanners

• Albuquerque International Sunport Airport
    • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
    • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
    • Boston Logan International
    • Bush Houston Interncontinental Airport
    • Boise Airport
    • Bradley International Airport
    • Brownsville
    • Buffalo Niagara International Airport
    • Charlotte Douglas International
    • Chicago O'Hare International
    • Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International
    • Cleveland International Airport
    • Corpus Christie Airport
    • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
    • Denver International Airport
    • Detroit Metro Airport
    • Dulles International Airport
    • El Paso International Airport
    • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International
    • Fort Wayne International Airport
    • Fresno Airport
    • Gulfport International Airport
    • Grand Rapids Airport
    • Harrisburg International Airport
    • Harlingen/Valley International Airport
    • Honolulu International Airport
    • Indianapolis International Airport
    • Jacksonville International Airport
    • John F. Kennedy International Airport
    • Kansas City International
    • LaGuardia International Airport
    • Lambert/St. Louis International Airport
    • Laredo International Airport
    • Lihue Airport
    • Los Angeles International
    • Luis Munoz Marin International Airport
    • McAllen Miller Airport
    • McCarran International Airport
    • Memphis International Airport
    • Miami International Airport
    • General Mitchell Milwaukee International Airport
    • Mineta San José International
    • Minneapolis/St.Paul International Airport
    • Nashville International Airport
    • Newark Liberty International Airport
    • Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
    • Oakland International Airport
    • Omaha Eppley Field Airport
    • Orlando International Airport
    • Palm Beach International Airport
    • Philadelphia International Airport
    • Phoenix International Airport
    • Pittsburgh International Airport
    • Port Columbus International
    • Raleigh-Durham International Airport
    • Richmond International Airport
    • Rochester International Airport
    • Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
    • Salt Lake City International Airport
    • San Antonio International Airport
    • San Diego International Airport
    • San Francisco International Airport
    • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
    • Spokane International Airport
    • T.F. Green Airport
    • Tampa International Airport
    • Tulsa International Airport

http://gizmodo.com/5694997/heres-a-...tly-using-full-body-scanners?skyline=true&s=i

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting to see people claim the govt. is being intrusive in its effort to stop terrorism because of invasive searches or body scans.

Yet, many of these same people didn't find the govt. and it's efforts to stop terrorism intrusive when they were doing things like torturing, having wiretaps, denying trials to people, and all that.

Fascinating that Big Govt. is OK when it tortures, and imprisons people without access to a trial or lawyer, but if it makes people feel embarrassed at an airport, then it is a huge infringement of civil rights.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am flying USAir so Terminal 2. I guess I will have to get ready to get my junk scanned.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree. I think it has to do with the "If its not happening to me its not my problem" attitude. Those things have a harder time passing Constitutional muster than the scanners.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i am against the naked body scanners and sexual molesting and have been critical of not only bush, but obama when it comes to torture. you can find posts of mine going back 5 years or so where i was criticizing the bush administration for authorization of torture. ive even called for the death penalty for war crimes several times on this board.

and its not about being 'embarrassed' at the airport. ive been to hippie hollow - im much more 'free' than the average person. im no oden, but im not ashamed of what i gots. its about maintaining our humanity and dignity and not being scared cowards who give into the terrorists. its also about pointing out absolutely unnecessary naked body scanning and sexual molesting is wrt to fighting "the terrorists".

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What the TSA is doing is not even close to what the Nazis did.

Says the guy who is calling TSA employees Nazis.
    In terms of numbers yes they aren't that comparable but in terms of the potential damage that could be caused by a terrorist attack they are. As noted the determination of what is reasonable has to be weighed with the potential of what might happen if something goes wrong.

I have noticed that you and other critics seem to have a fixation on the sexual nature of these searches. While I will agree there are probably some perverts among the TSA the purpose of the pat down isn't sexual gratification. I mean do you considers doctors perverts because they feel your balls and stick their fingers up your butt?

While I agree these searches are very uncomfortable and given the odds are not worth conducting I am not about to call them sexual molestation. This seems to be more of a projection by the critics

I completely agree it should be based on effectiveness and cost benefit ratio which I think are not in favor. That said I think they are Constitutional and think it is petty to be calling TSA employees Nazis or the program sexual molestation.

15. jo mama

i could also point out how "interesting" it is that liberals and democrats were against the police state, the patriot act, warrantless wiretapping and the like when bush was president, but now that its a democrat they are for all this stuff and even defend naked body scanning and sexual molesting - nothing bush did was as much a violation on the average american as what has happened under obama.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Just to counter my own post it sounds like things are working out pretty well.

17. rtsy

rtsy Member

I find it much interesting that people still support a fraud of a president.

27 February 2010

With almost no debate, the Democratic leadership in Congress pushed through an unamended extension of the USA Patriot Act’s most notorious provisions, granting sweeping powers to eavesdrop and seize library, Internet and other personal records of US citizens.

-------------------------

The same person who introduced 'American Traveler Dignity Act'.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOSGkv7UC-8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TOSGkv7UC-8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

No Change

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vqXmQYHV-1I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vqXmQYHV-1I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

18. jo mama

the nazis didnt come to power and immediately start concentrating people - it was all done incrementally. just like w/ the tsa - first you go through a metal detector, then you take off your shoes and belt, then no liquids over 3 oz, then you get the wand, then you get naked body scanned and sexually molested...where does it go from here? if people can accept being naked body scanned and sexually molested, what wont they accept?

im not calling them nazis - im just pointing out that they are acting like nazis when they want to naked body scan and sexually molest innocent americans. i initially brought up nazis in response to your assertion that they didnt create the policy, they are only carrying out orders...i simply pointed out that that is the excuse the nazis used - "we were only following orders" - but that didnt make the orders right.

looking at images of naked people and touching their genitals is very sexual.

do you really not understand the difference b/t a physical exam by a trained, professional doctor, who is poking and prodding you to determine if you have any serious medical conditions...and a security guard who does not have 1/10th the training an average police officer has touching your genitalia for reasons that even you admit are unnecessary, a waste of time, money and resources?

there is no reason to beat around the bush - by definition, thats exactly what it is...anyone else touches you there and they go to jail for sexual molesting, but we allow the government to do it to us and our children.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Ron Paul is right, as usual.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member