1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest's ball handling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Nov 26, 2008.

1. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

No. Nobody in the NBA dribbles worse than Luther Head. At this point I would have more confidence in Yao bringing the ball up the court. :eek:

I've been surprised at how poorly Artest plays with his back to the basket. I was shocked he didn't abuse Jack last night.

He definitely bulls his way to the basket; it seems like 9 times out of 10 he just "finishes," by throwing up junk but gets fouled. The problem is when the refs don't blow the whistle....

He is a very, very good shooter when his feet are set though. I've been pleasantly surprised by that.

The best way to describe his game is indeed, "awkward." I can't imagine too many kids watch him play and try to emulate him.

2. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

head turns the ball over when he dribbles while Artest doesnot

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's because Head is often the guy who brings the ball up. Artest is never that guy unless it's a fastbreak. Also, Artest's strong body keeps the defender away from him, making it harder to steal from him. Head doesn't have that strength. Of course Luther dribbles better than Artest. Luther is a guard. Artest is not.

Anyways, I've been saying this all along. I think this board grossly overrate Artest's offensive talent. We always needed a third guy who could create. When Artest came, everybody and his grandma thought Artest was going to solve this instantly. Artest never struck me as a good creator when he played for the Pacers and the Kings. He's better than Battier. But that doesn't say much.

4. killer instinct

He looks like he's forcing it to much at the wrong times on offense but its like I'm waiting for him to knock it off of his foot at any moment.

HIS SHOT is tu hey el porque.

5. HoustonFan4Life

To me it kinda looks like he thinks about his move faster than his body can react which makes it look akward. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else notices but he shuffles his feet a lot when he makes his move like a roadrunner trying to get ready to take off.

6. jae713

jae713 Member

He really isn't that quick off the dribble. IMO a pick and roll that creates a mismatch with a bigger and slower defender would be a better option than the iso. Also, I am curious, how did the Kings use him offensively.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Artest looks like Barkley ballhandling/passing wise.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

It may be more accurate to say that Artest is a "more willing" offensive player than Battier, but not necessarily better, unless being more willing is actually better.. :)

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know. I've never seen Battier try to create, other than posting up for his little hook shot. Artest at least CAN do something off the dribble, just not very good.

The one thing Battier is definitely better than Artest is spot up 3pt shooting. That's why Battier is still a better fit playing with McGrady and Yao.

We still don't have that 3rd creator we craved. My hope is that Brooks may develop. He has the tools. Just doesn't have the size and experience.

10. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Artest just forces the issue too much when taking his man off the dribble. A simple dribble drive and using his body to bump off the defender would get him to the rim.

Head is by far the worst dribbler and passer that basketball has ever seen. I've never seen anyone throw a ball completely over the head of a 7'6" guy and the rim. And who else throws bounce passes to a 7'6" guy's feet. I cringe everytime he takes more than 1 dribble or whenever he passes the ball, even if the guy is 2 inches away.

11. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

his ball handling is fine, the problem is he cant make the layups these days...

12. Seth

Seth Member

I dont like him, i just want him to be good enough to get us a decent PG, please!

I am begging for him to play decent enough so his trade value goes up.

13. ColdHeartArtest

Do not worry, Ron just need time to find his pace again. It's a new team and only 16 games , I trust him. He will be back.