1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest v. Trevor Ariza - conclusions?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, May 10, 2010.

?

Ron or Ariza

1. Ron

117 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Ariza

355 vote(s)
    75.2%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

do people still not appreciate how well trevor played when they aquired martin and he was allowed to play his natural position?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one, more cap room.

Oh, you mean when he played SF and got torched on a nightly basis because he could not stay in front of his man, or dribble the ball like an 8th grader?

DD

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Ideally, we would have let Ron go (no point in having him on a developing team) and not signed Ariza (not point having him on any team that can't surround him with All Stars).

4. DaDakota

Exactly how I feel.

Now if Morey can flip Ariza and change into Bosh...then....I will eat my words.

DD

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I appreciate that he went from putrid to decent. Is that what you meant?

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Artest didnt lead us anywhere.....he was just on the team when we made it to the second round.

I think it was the basketball gods showing tmac a lesson. lol

7. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

No, when he played within himself and brought his length and athleticism to the table. The fact of the matter is that this team lacked an inside presence for the entire season, this exposed EVERYONE. Not just Ariza.

Just flash back to Ariza's playoff performance from one year ago. And if you choose, ignore his exceptional offensive play and focus on the impact that he had on the defensive end.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Conclusions? Ariza over Artest anyday. Heard from Barry on the NBA TV, Artest was very bad teammate in the lock room besides his selfish plays on the court. Artest did help us to pass the first round playoff, but he is not a long term soulation on this team. Just hope he could make more destruction to the Lakers which results in the loss of LA to Cleveland.

9. DaDakota

I think Ariza was hidden by the Lakers.......and the Rockets do not have that luxury.

DD

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The problem with this is that anyone can have a great series or a great couple of series. It's wiser to look at his career and his career numbers are not very good.

What he did this season is more indicative of the type of offensive player he is.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Guess I shouldn't be surprised so many people jumping on the Ariza bandwagon after killing him all year long. I said it several times throughout the year, give Ariza time to get acclimated, be patient. The team asked to much of Him early on, my guess is to see what he had or if he could develop.

It's a no brainer IMO, for where the team was at the time, if it's between Ron Ron and Ariza for five years roughly same contract, go with the young guy with upside. Ariza is probably easier to coach as well. I also believe as a 4th or 5th option and less pressure Ariza will be more efficient.

Lakers will probably regret giving Ron 5 years if they don't already.

12. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Which is why I said ignore his offensive performance and look at his defensive impact. He had several huge momentum grabbing defensive plays under the big spot light. That's undeniable.

And I distinctly remember Morey saying that what Trevor brings defensively alone was worth it. I agree.

Even if the Rockets can't score Bosh or any other big free agent this offseason, Trever will be the 5th Option On Offense next year.

So honestly, what is there to complain about???

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I agree... and as someone who bashed on Ariza for his incessant three point attempts... I think he's a good fit now that Martin is here to handle the pressure of performing offensive feats. Couldn't be happier with him actually. Well, maybe if he'd take less risks on steal attempts. Still, love his hops!

Ariza is a good defensive player who has the ability to play off others well. He's got potential to be a glue type player with good offensive skills if he steps into the role. It seems like he shook off his Lakers attitude as well. Maybe a more humble Ariza will help. Him and Brooks didn't seem to get along at first...

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We're going to be over the cap with or without Ariza as long as Yao has a max contract paired with Martin's contract. The only way we'll have significant cap room anytime soon is by letting Yao go.

That doesn't hold much water considering we saw two different roles for Ariza this season. In games that he and Martin played together, Ariza was consistently taking less shots than he did before-Martin, and at the same time shooting at a higher percentage. He was brought here to be a role player, not a number one option like he was forced to be much of the season.

Seems to me like a lot of you just ignored the last month/six weeks of the season.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Firstly, how many times have you trashed T-Mac for not getting past the first round, but suddenly it's meaningless?

2) The Rockets do have that luxury now, and Morey knew that this would be the case. In a down season, Arize got some great practice on his scoring and dribbling which he hadn't been exposed to before. Now he can go back to pre-Rockets Ariza but with slightly more polished skills.

3) He has won the NBA championship. This is important experience for a young guy - he will know how to be a championship role player when this team can afford to have him as the 5th scoring option.

4) Key here: post All Star break, he was average. He is signed for exactly the average NBA salary. That is a good trade asset, especially considering that he's young and his salary is easily tradeable.

This team is currently sporting Yao/Scola/Martin/Brooks as starters. If that 4th guy can't defend a swingman (i.e. if we throw Chase Budinger in there) then we will be so putrid defensively that the offensive capabilities of the 5th offensive option won't make up for it.

There is absolutely no logic to saying we would rather have NOT signed him. We did not make the playoffs, and Morey clearly clearly decided very early on that if he was going to land a star, cap space would not be the best way. He decided to acquire small-medium sized assets (Ariza, buying 3 picks, trading for Knicks pick, Jeffries, David Andersen) with good value, and go after his star that way.

Signing Ariza has given us the flexibility to make a deal with a rebuilding team (Ariza) or a contending team (Battier). The reason Ariza would be valuable to a rebuilding team is because he's young and comes at a good price.

I seriously can not fathom what scenario you're thinking about in your head which says we shouldn't have signed Ariza. I'd love to hear it though.

Where would we be now if we hadn't signed Ariza? Not enough cap space for a MAX FA, and not enough contracts to trade for an FA (without gutting the team).

But please, do tell.

4 people like this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree with all of this. I think this post sums up what I would like to see in Ariza as a Rocket

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

How could you guys not like this trade? Yes Artest was a better leader, but he was also a head case and on the decline. Ariza is a much younger player and one of the better perimeter defenders, which is an absolute necessity when you have players like AB and Martin in the same lineup, both of whom are abused by larger opposing players on a regular basis.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Damn, bro did you really have to own DD like that? :grin:

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd rather have Artest than Ariza going against the Cavs in the finals. Lakers did what they had to do, we did what we had to do. Everyone wins.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ariza was damn near ready to give me a stroke at times before the Martin trade, but at the end of the day it was the right move and judging by his post-trade improvement -- he seems to finally be "getting it" and establishing a more appropriate role on this team.