1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rogers, anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Joe Joe, Feb 10, 2000.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Carlos Rogers will be part of the future rockets nucleus.

1)Don't like him at the SF against the better SFs. I know the better SF score a lot usually, but I can't see the rockets beating the raptors, Pistons with Los at the SF.

2)Injury problems.

3)He's valuable to other teams. Drew and Rogers could, in my opinion really add a boost off the bench for a few playoff bound teams. Walt and TMass, too.

4)Salary Cap-It helps to have options.

5)I think Rudy wants a bruiser(Brian Grant type) at the 4.

6)Kenny Thomas has the backup spot taken at the PF. Cato and Olajuwon are the starters. Not a great frontcourt right now, but Rogers doesn't really add anything to it unless there is an injury.

I like Rogers. When healthy, he should be the starting PF for the rockets. All I say is that the rockets need a SF. Let Anderson back it up, but with Francis being a shorty PG, I like Anderson at the 2.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Keep Los!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"but Rogers doesn't really add anything to [the frontcourt] unless there is an injury"

I completely disagree Joe Joe. Many plays that Rudy designed way back when we got Francis where for a SF that could play high post pick/pass and could knock down an open 15-20 ftr. Proper high post decisions are critical to several of our motion offense plays.

To date: Rogers has played that role the best I've seen on this team. He is smart and fluid as picker; he consistently has proven through his career he can nail the open look; he has the advantage of height in the high post; and he's always a big threat to roll into a passing seam and slam with his long arms.

Here's how I rate players who Rudy have put into the high post role:

1. Rogers (for reasons above), plus he's the only one that runs the triple option play,

2. Bullard (very smart and fluid on decisions and big threat shooting)

3. Hakeem/Thomas (Dream's problem is passing decisions and failure to pick well, but excellent high-post shooter, if not our best--you can't leave him). I give Thomas a tie here. While Hakeem is better at the open 15-20' shot, Thomas is a better picker and can makes post moves from the high post (dream doesn't seem to like to do that).

4. Walt is slow and stupid at the high post.

5. Cato--doesn't really play the high post.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not ranking talent. I'm ranking who fills the high post the best, so that Francis is the most effective.

McGrady in our High-Post
    in other words, it wouldn't matter if someone like McGrady is better than all those players in raw post play, if he can't fill a role for the sophisticated plays designed for Francis, it is not a sum gain. He either fills his role, or is such a good scorer or playmaker, that you design plays around him. He doesn't strike me as ever being that quality of player...so he must fill a role around Francis.

I think this is becoming my new mantra for trade talk: "You must create a sum gain by considering how the players fill their roles around Francis"

Doing half the plays for Francis and half for McGrady, is no good. I want 75% of the plays started and run by Francis. McGrady and others must have good high post skills and intelligence.

When you think of motion offenses, think of how Coach K and Knight always have smart high post players. They are a major key, otherwise everything gets clogged, and your skill players like Francis get slowed down.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 10, 2000).]

4. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Heypartner, I like your approach, but it seems you are not fully weighting defense and rebounding. The most needed piece to the Rockets in my opinion is a forward significantly taller/longer than Shandon (for a better match-up against the Garnets, Hills, G. Robinsons, Raheems, Odoms, A. Walkers & Jamisons out there) that also has quite some athleticism. Basically a younger and improved version of Los (Los is fine to keep around as a good sub, but I don't think he would excel enough as a starter, and isn't that young anyway). The ideal candidate would offer weak side shot-blocking (in the future we only have Cato), be a great interior player (for when the guards break down the defense they can finish with great efficiency), be a solid rebounder relative to others at his position (be it a 3 or 4), and offer athleticism to generally make the defense more active and be great finishing the fast break. Of the people we have talked about, McGrady is as good as any in doing most of these things and has a great ceiling. Other guys like Jamision, A. Walker, and Mashburn appear to fit many of these qualities as well. Also, for 4’s, a Ratlif, Camby, J. Williams, Fortston or M. Taylor (the latter three less so because of a lack of shot-blocking). So in my mind McGrady does fit quite well and would add another dimension to the team. (Note I am not mentioning the basically impossible guys to acquire like Garnett, Duncan, Odom, Hill, etc.)

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sir,

You are exactly right; I was not weighing defense. I was talking strictly about the role of high post play in our offense.

I drifted to talk of McGrady, but really I'm trying to point out the effectiveness of Rogers in the high post. That's all.

Without a doubt, I agree with all your remarks about defense and rebounding. You're preaching to the choir.