1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rod thorn re:1984 draft: would have picked 1st "hakeem olajuwon, hands down"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by waelhakmeh, Feb 14, 2007.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I will say this: had Dream had the luxury of playing alongside Clyde Drexler or Scottie Pippen for the entirety of his career, we would be talking about Dream as the GOAT.

I don't know how many championships that would have meant, but a couple more is probably a realistic, conservative estimate IMO.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if Dream had the Luxury with playing with a healthy Ralph Sampson and Lolyd and Wiggins didnt do coccaine, we'd be the dynasty everyone was talking about.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

That's true as well.

I am just pointing out that Dream never had the luxury of playing alongside another -- as Battier would say -- "super, duper" star player for a prolonged period of time.

4. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

I think it's the exact opposite. If you want results immediately in this day and age, you go for the guard if all else is equal (say, potential or whatever). The guard will get you more wins more quickly but drafting the big man first means you are willing to postpone the extra wins for a bigger payoff. A guard can get a crappy team to the playoffs his first season, a center/foward usually can't without the same cast.

I dont know how oden's career will be but i'm pretty sure he won't be averaging 20/10 his first year out. Last one to do it was elton brand back in '01. (ok i just checked oden's stats; im now 97.4598% sure he won't get near that).

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I vaguely remember that owner Charlie Thomas wore 2 shirts to the draft, and one said Akeem Olajuwon and one said Michael Jordan, and the one he wore would depend on whether they won or lost the coin flip.

I'm not sure if Jack Ramsay was a Jordan supporter, since he was the coach of the team that picked Bowie. But maybe it wasn't his decision.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

there's even a clip of rod thorn around the time of that draft saying something like "we would never expect to just put the whole franchise on jordan's back and have him carry us." even the people who drafted him didn't think he would become what he became.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rocket Heroes > Bulls Heroes
    Horry > Pippen