1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rod Strickland set to sign with Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Oct 25, 2002.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I heard this on Fox radio. I remember a few weeks ago when talking about Boston trading away Anderson for Baker and I said it depends on whether they can sign Strickland and there were people who said that he had already re-signed with Miami. What happened? I assumed it was right since I haven't heard anything about Strickland until this. It makes the T-Wolves a bit tougher, though the Rockets are clearly better from top to bottom and depth wise.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Rod Strickland did not re-sign with Miami. He is a free agent. Terrell Brandon will most likely retire due to injuries, so the T-Wolves need a point guard and it looks like Rod will be their man.

3. RocksMillenium

I didn't hear about Brandon retiring, though it made sense since he admitted to wanting to come off the bench, and his knee injury was serious enough that he wouldn't start a big chunk of the season until he healed.

4. BobFinn*

He didn't retire yet, but there are rumors he will soon.

5. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a good fit, until Rod goes mental again.

6. BobFinn*

Agent: Strickland agrees to terms with Wolves

October 26, 2002

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Point guard Rod Strickland agreed to terms with the Minnesota Timberwolves, his agent said Saturday.

Leon Rose said Strickland would join the team for practice Sunday. The Timberwolves were not immediately available for comment Saturday night.

The 36-year-old Strickland averaged 10.4 points and 6.1 assists last season with Miami, his sixth team in 14 NBA seasons.

The free agent would add some vital depth to Minnesota's injury-depleted backcourt. Point guard Terrell Brandon, recovering from a knee injury, is out indefinitely, and Felipe Lopez will miss the season because of a knee injury.

Because Strickland has more than 10 years experience, the Wolves would have to pay him at least the veteran's minimum salary of $1.03 million.

7. RocksMillenium

Not a bad signing by the T-Wolves. I think the Rockets are still better, but it helps the Wolves playoff run, especially if Brandon can get healthy.