1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocketscast Live

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Oct 28, 2013.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Does anybody know any news on Jason Friedman and Craig Ackerman's podcast?

And in case anybody doesn't know about their podcast check it out. Not to take away from Clutch's podcast but you know, it's J&C! It's a must if you're a Rox fan. :grin:

2. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

He was responding to people earlier in the preseason that they would be trying to do it soon, but he's been ignoring those queries recently. Don't know if something is up with that or what, but in any case I imagine scheduling it any time soon would get pretty dicey considering the Rockets early schedule.

3. skyline07

skyline07 Member

I love rocketscastlive, So i wish to see J and C soon

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I sent him a tweet a couple of days ago with no reply. He seemed pretty excited about doing podcasts up until Stern fined the Rockets for the article he wrote during the off season. I have no clue if that has anything to do with his silence or not.

It could be that the Rockets are waiting for a clear definition of what can and can not be discussed during podcasts.

Or maybe he is waiting for the beginning of the season to start back up.

Or maybe he and Craig just don't have the time with all of their other responsibilities.

Regardless of the reason I really enjoyed his podcasts last season. If he does it again this season I'll listen to all of them, if not I'll enjoy reading his articles.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep....This is just my gut, but I have a feeling that they got word from the guys up stairs that its probably not a good idea to continue them. I think the fine from Stern last year put them on edge, and even though the Rocketscasts probably weren't the main culprit (the free agency articles were mostly), they are going to watch what they put out there much closer this year.

Its unfortunate really, but at least we see here that there is a huge demand for this kind of access and gives Clutch an opportunity to take advantage of it. I've already been hugely impressed with Clutch's podcast with the legend Bill Fitch, and maybe there are more of these with special guests coming our way to make up for the loss of the Rocketscast.

Also the nice thing about the Clutchfans podcast is not being affiliated with the Rockets so the speech is much more free. Jason and Craig are professionals and are great at what they do, but if they have to do them while looking over their shoulder the entire time then I dont blame them for discontinuing them.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

this makes alot of sense, i didnt even take into account the artlice this year. good point Dobro

7. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Not sure I understand the connection between Rocketscast and the fine they rec'd from the league. The Rockets got fined for supposedly doing something they were not supposed to do during a moratorium period. Since we're in the regular season now, are you saying that there are still certain topics that teams cannot publicly discussed or put out? Even so, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything on Rocketscast that might be league-sensitive materials. Anyway, interesting insight & circumstance if you are indeed on to something.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There are restrictions on topics that team officials are allowed to publicly discuss. The fine during the summer reflects the opinion that Friedman and Ackerman are considered to be officially affiliated with the team. In that case, they have to be extra careful on what they say, so I can understand them be reluctant to continue it.

Hopefully the NBA loosens up a bit when Stern exits.

9. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

This is all speculation in any case, based on the fact that we haven't heard anything recently. Could just be that Craig's camera got swallowed by a dog and they are waiting for it to reappear out the other end before starting up.

10. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Jason is probably still jet-lagged :) He mentioned on twitter that he's been busy, bought a house recently and other crazy stuff.

11. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

12. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Speculations confirmed by twitter/jasoncfriedman. Rocketscast is on indefinite hiatus (i.e. dead as a door nail).

13. dobro1229

Jason Friedman ‏@JasonCFriedman

Right now I'd label RL as being on indefinite hiatus. A big part of the show's appeal was, I think, the platform that allowed us
    to interact w/ fans on all sorts of subjects. But as team employees, so many of those subjects (especially trades, FA, etc.) are
    extremely sensitive in nature, especially w/r/t league rules and restrictions. So rather than filter the product, we've placed
    it on the shelf for the time being. Hope that makes sense and thanks so much again for your viewership and support.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, as expected. Hopefully Clutch will have time to put up more podcasts this year to make up for the loss.

I take it that Jason isn't even allowed to comment in this stuff in interviews on the radio or in other podcasts?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Translated: I don't want to get the team fined again.

16. JBar

JBar Rookie

Nice one, Jastaguy

17. Convictedstupid

I think if Clutch can't physically do them, maybe he can find people that he trusts to do them a couple times a week? I love listening to this type of stuff.

18. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Translated: they told me next time it comes out of my paycheck

19. JBar

JBar Rookie

If that's the case, it truly sucks, Justaguy. Does anyone know how much that fine was for?

20. dobro1229