1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocketscast - Interview with Sam Hinkie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/media/rockets/6.5.09_Sam_Podcast.mp3

Talks about a bunch of different stuff.. most interesting was the talk about the draft and how even though they don't have a pick now (though they expect to) they still feel that there is value in getting in touch with people that aren't available to them now, but will likely be in the NBA for a long time.. his example was Hasheem Thabeet.

Don't have time to do a full recap but there is some good stuff in there if yall have time to listen.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for link. I probably would have missed this otherwise.

3. logicx

logicx Member

Thx for the post.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This is a key point that many people, myself included, tend to forget. Just because you can't get a guy in the draft, doesn't mean you shouldn't reach out to him and make him feel valued. Three or four years down the line when he's opting out to test the free agent market, you have that personal connection in your back pocket.

Thanks for the link, by the way. Listening now.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i wonder what it would take to get thabeet...he'd be a good fit at the 4 and 5....we have nothing OKC could use more than Thabeet, not sure hwat we could give memphis....it would be very tough to pull that off

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well if we make a play for Washington's fifth pick, we would be in a great position to snag Rubio or Thabeet. Most teams in the top five are willing to move thier picks for a decent price. From what I have read, Rubio is being a pain in the ass about where he will and won't play.

7. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Yeah, apparently he would to prefer to stay in europe then play for Memphis. maybe sac, dont see Okc taking him because they already have westbrook.

8. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Rubio doesn't want to play for memphis at all.
    Everyones projecting sactown to take him.

9. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Exactly, but is Rubio really worth the number 2? I don't think so. Maybe a 7th or 8th overall.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm also glad that he came out to mention our need to get a backup center since Deke's retirement. He clearly said we can't by with our lack of size.
    I'm glad that some more people are coming around to that fact. The two home wins against the Lakers and the limited minutes that Deke got this year gave the wrong impression to some, that we could get by with what we have.

The 40 point loss in Game 5 and the 19 point loss in Game 7 exposed our lack of size and athleticism in the frontcourt. Intangibles are important, but they can't cover for our weaknesses.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Would like to see the rockets get a veteran 4/5 and a project 5 or 4/5. Size and athletism should be the priority.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I missed where he clearly said that.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont see Thabeet getting past OKC at the third pick, all they are lacking is a center. Memphis may even take him, they are lacking some size at the 4 spot, may just use thabeet at center and gasol at PF or vice versa.

14. worzel gummidge

Hinkie on buying a lottery pick: "picks in the lottery or near there... cash alone won't do it, will have to trade players of real value to get that high". For example, "Ray Allen... for no.5 pick a few years ago.".

On a backup C: "we could use more depth... especially at the 5... those are sort of obvious positions of need for us.".

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does anyone get the impressing that Sam Hinkie rarely even smiles? He sounds extremely serious... Kobe-Bryant-in-NBA-Finals-serious.

[​IMG]