1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets withdraw qualifying offer to Lee; now FA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lemme also say... Lee looked really good at times and he was the perfect roleplayer shooting guard when he was on. He also looked REALLY off and disinterested in the game at other times, and while his defense was good against guys his size, he would get bullied by the bigger wings.

But even at his best, Lee was still only a roleplayer. He's the perfect guy to play next to Dwight Howard. If you're not building around that caliber of an interior superstar then he's not worth keeping around.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He wont though. Yes its exactly what I want. Asik could still be matched by the Bulls. There is no Gordon. Still no deals in place to make the youth movement. Right now Kevin Martin, Scola, and Lowry the key principles to getting to 500 again are still on the roster.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Is this move financial or is there a good reason they are offering this (Eric Gordon anyone?)

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

We REALLY need to move those three guys... but I'm giving Morey until the season starts to take care of business. If we start the season with more than 1 of those three guys on the roster, I will pitch a fit. Until then... patience, young padawan.

5. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

The minute we drafted Lamb I considered he would be the backup SG and get his 15-20 minutes per night. He needs to play and develop. Lamb is a difference maker and potential star and Courtney Lee is a solid backup/part time starter but not a potential all-star candidate or someone you build around. I like this move, but wish Morey could have gotten something in return. That baffles me.

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Alright Lee, now tease ;) Chicago just long enough and they won't match Asik's offer. Courtney is a Rocket at heart with specific instructions to make the Bulls think they have a chance (enough money).

Like savages.:p He is looking to get paid and has a lot of years left to win a championship.

7. Rockets_Fan15

Rockets_Fan15 Rookie

This news tells me Houston may be trying a S&T for Eric Gordon, which would be awesome!

8. Jman713

Jman713 Member

Change....my fiend change is happening:)

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

This post is...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morey's considering your offer...are you 6'9"?
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Muaz

Muaz Member

If we really needed a player of Lee's caliber I'm pretty sure we could easily flip Lowry for Matthews from Portland probably get a second rounder back from em too. Lee is expendable.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This news just means the Rockets need a center and really don't want Chicago to match. Lee will be a nice distraction and hopefully he keeps Chicago busy for a couple of weeks.

12. Dei

Dei Member

He's getting let go. It's different from wanting him to stay while drafting his replacement or trying to trade him.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Have faith in Lamb.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think they just didn't want Lee picking up the option and messing up the plans for where they were going to get the money for Asik.

15. Dei

Dei Member

This could bite us in the ass in the long run. Lee's situation is very similar to Dragic's. He could flourish elsewhere. But I don't see them doing anything else when they just drafted the exact same player.

16. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

All of these moves look like they're meant to increase variance, which is the only chance a team finishing just outside of the playoffs has of entering the elite without deliberately tanking or having the fortune of being a destination city. Basically you give up a known quantity that is decent for the chance of getting some serious upside. We know Lee will never be much more than a good role player at the SG. If you gamble on Asik and he turns into an elite defensive center great, if he doesn't, you probably dip deeper into the lottery than keeping it the status quo. Isn't this what a lot of you guys hoping to tank wanted?

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nah. Lee doesn't have any more upside. Dragic could become a star player. Lee... no way. He's a roleplayer, best case. He's about to turn 27 too. How much better do you honestly think he's going to get? I think none better. He has already peaked.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Lee reached his ceiling last season. He was playing for a new contract and he will be 27 at the start of next season. Don't expect him to play better consistently next season.

19. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Hmm...guess Morey should have just made that Lee for Asik trade a couple years ago straight up. No?

20. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Courtney Lee and Lamb do not have the same game at all...Lamb can create his own shot