1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will sign Dexter Pittman, per source. Will waive Greg Smith.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2014.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

I feel bad for smith... Players should get some sort of monetary compensation when they are waved while being injured

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Unless Pittman has improved....a lot he is nothing more than a big body. He sucked at Miami. When healthy Greg Smith was better and had a ton more upside.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

What's the alternative? go into the playoffs with an empty roster spot because Smith is hurt?

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You got upset by a 10 days contract for an end of the bench player to fill out some garbage minutes for couple meaningless games at the end of the season?

Really?

5. NotChandlerParsons

I'd assume them not signing Camby means his rehab has not gone well.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much that!

I was never much of a fan of Greg Smith and felt he was overrated (such as he is). That said, a healthy Smith is better than Pittman. From what I remember of Pittman in Miami, he was a total stiff. So this is just a body to throw on the floor. Maybe just a body to give Asik (and Howard) some rest on the last few games of the season just a to get through the games.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He still gets his salary. He was set to be a free agent anyway. Why does he deserve additional compensation?

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

It has nothing to do with potential ability to help the Rockets in the playoff.

It's all about to have someone that can currently walk on the court to fill out some garbage minutes for the remaining games of the season.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Bye bye Dwight Howard!

I thought Smith would be a nice body for us off the bench, hopefully he can get healthy and continue his career elsewhere.

10. bmd

bmd Member

Greg Smith certainly has some game. But let's be honest... there wasn't really much room for him here. He can't shoot, so he wouldn't play PF for the Rockets. And he's a 3rd string center on this team with Howard and Asik.

Even if Asik is traded next year, Morey could pick up a better back-up center than Smith to back-up Howard. That's not a knock on Smith... he's just young and is coming off an injury.

He wasn't really in the future plans.

11. torocan

torocan Member

Darn, tough break for Greg Smith. Injury knocks him out and now he's on the curb.

As for Pittman, Morey had pretty limited options in terms of players available to play center. Marcus Camby has experience, but I find it hard to see him fitting in with our fast paced style of play.

Pittman is 24... hopefully he doesn't upset the cart in the locker room and can play some decent bench minutes.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He will rebound.

13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

just like the tmac spurs signing, pittman is just an insurance policy.....

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

All the key FA's The Clippers & OKC signed after the deadline and all we get is Dexter Pitman? Morey's definitely not trying to win this year

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I like Smith though... I wonder how bad his knee is?

16. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Maybe Pittman can be a Eddy Curry in training. We can throw him in eat the opposing team's point guards when Lin and Bev are having trouble with containment.

17. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Greg pnr with Lin was a beauty to behold. He excels with Lin. Is this new guy willing to pnr or is he faster than Asik with better hand? :grin:

18. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Sad to hear, Greg had earned his spot but injuries upset the best of plans and this is for the best for Houston. I hope Greg lands on his feet.

I expect absolutely nothing but 6 fouls out of Pittman but trying to beat the Clipper/Thunder/Spurs/Grizzlies out of the West 6 fouls is definitely something.

19. BleedsRocketRed

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Smith was healthy he would probably be in the rotation over DMo. He was solid last season.