1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will sign Brandan Wright

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Thanks, I was wondering why both haven't signed yet.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@ch44 implied that the trade deal that didn't happen for Wright was Black+Williams. It would have gotten both off the books. And in this instance would have opened up another roster spot which would have been 2 open roster spots after Wright was traded here. That could have allowed the Rockets to add Johnson and bring Bobby Brown back.

But, since the trade did not go through that might have sealed it for Bobby.

Rockets are likely to cut Black or Williams. @cyberx suggested it would be Black.

I have to wonder though, if the Rockets might just cut Williams as he is only 600K guaranteed for next season. That isn't too much dead money.

Black, and his salary, being on the books might be helpful "after the draft" as an expiring salary for trade purposes. Also, they could re-sign him with early bird rights if they need to.

Doesn't really look like Williams is in the Rockets long term plans. I feel the same with Nanu. He is just a salary at this point.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4. ballscientist1

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

no one cares, this is the rockets team for the season!

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Capela is basically a younger Brandan Wright. Excellent pickup if/when it happens.
    48 mins of above the rim play from PnR action and rim protection between Capela/Wright.
    Stats from basketball-reference.com

Player*****mins***pts*****rebs******blks****FT%****stls****asts***Rb%***Blk%**PER**ORtg**DRtg
    Capela:*****27.0***14.4****11.1******1.8*****59%*****0.8*****1.0***23.3%***5.9%**25.4***126**101**
    Wright:******13.6****5.0****3.4*******0.9****64%*****0.5****0.5***14.8%..***6.3%**19.7***124**105**

Here is a you tube clip of Wright approx a year ago; notice the above the rim action rolling to rim or after gather.

#287 ApacheWarrior, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That video took my to this video below, which was a fun throwback. I think Rockets attempt more long twos in this clip below than they have all of this season.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Didn’t know he’s only 30

Tfor3 and don grahamleone like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Probably the night Morey fell in love with him.

Mazulis, Tfor3, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, he will be a fall back plan if Capela is too steep a price this summer. A temporary band aid
    sorta speak.

Chances are we sign Capela & continue to employ Wright as a backup next season. With Nene of course.

Tfor3, D-rock and bilaal14 like this.
  12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Another prime example why we could use some one like Wright was tonight's game, we tend to struggle against tall athletic bigs, if Wright was playing tonight he would've been serviceable to our needs specifically on defense.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was actually shocked he was already 30. I remember when the board wanted him back when he was a Mav, I think. It didn't seem that long ago.

BigMaloe, arabrocket, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

"Help can be in many forms."

You have helped us in many ways. As fans giving us excitement. As nosy investigators helping us quench our thirst for inside information. Giving those of us who are also going through something in our personal lives an inspiration. Some people say "you don't know what you have til it's gone" but any reasonable poster here should be able to see how fortunate we are to have 3 insiders here that are willing to tell us anything at all! But unfortunately the doubters are usually the loudest.

You have already helped us so much in your own way, you owe no one an explanation or apology for how you must conduct your posting here. The fact that you felt you did is a testament to your character and integrity.

We may never know your identity in real life, but everyone here can tell what kind of person you are just by your words because your strength, humility, and positivity shine through.

I hope that we can each give a small piece of that positivity and hope back to you as you fight a battle that is much bigger than sports.

Hold your head high and keep the passion you have in everything you do.

mkahanek, Codman, BigMaloe and 8 others like this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Has anybody gone in depth into the specifics of all the cap maneuvering Morey has done to keep us under the luxury tax? I remember seeing a BimaThug post praising Morey, but I haven't read any actual details.

17. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

[​IMG]

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I know the Rockets DJ is horrible at Toyota Center, but someone let him know to play this when Brandan Wright checks into the game.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

But when you consider JJ is 36- age 30 is nothing.

Rudyc281, ApacheWarrior and Mazulis like this.
  20. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member