1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will pick 24th or 25th in NBA Draft (UPDATE: Tiebreaker lost, pick #25 it is)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Apr 17, 2008.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's the regular season record which determines the drafting position irrespective of how one finishes in the playoffs. This happened last year as well.

2. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

He's (extremely) athletic, he's tough, he has a good jumper up to 18 feet-he's basically a better (yes better) version of Carl Landry. IF he can work on his shooting mechanics a little bit and slowly work his way toward the three point line, he has IMMENSE potential. A good comparison is Carmelo, and possibly more athletic.

3. saleem

Are you implying that he can be better than Carmelo? Joe Alexander has decent athletic ability but he is no way near as quick as Melo. His jumper isn't that good and he can't create his shot like him either. If that were so,he would be a high lottery pick.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

"Decent?" You need to watch this video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdAYyqSOuPc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdAYyqSOuPc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

He is more explosive than Carmelo. Actually, if you would go back and look at Carmelo's scouting reports, they all said that he was a good athlete with a good first step and good vertical, but it wasn't "elite."

5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I get that Alexander is like Melo, but from what I've seen of him, is that he would need to have the ball to be good, and he didn't really seem to contribute in other areas as much such as defense. Like Carmelo is a very good player, but he offensive game doesn't really help make plays for teammates. I see Alexander being the same way.

Plus, I understand drafting for the best talent sometimes, but why draft a better version of Landry, when you have other holes to fill and the players to fill them will likely be there?

It makes no sense unless there is preplanned trade to move Landry/Scola, and even then your taking a huge risk that Alexander can play as well as either of them did as a rookie. Landry and Scola showing they are for real in their rookie season doesn't happen often, and while they are not sure things, Alexander is even less of a sure thing.

6. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

And no I didn't say he could be better than Carmelo. He has similar traits and skills, so it makes sense that he can be like Carmelo. But I think Carmelo just has better natural skills so of course Joe can't hope to better than Carmelo.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I've watched Joe before the craze about him started and I observed that he can actually play some defense and is willing to, although I agree that he isn't quite as quick laterally as Carmelo. But he definitely has a better vertical and that allows to get fair shair of blocks (1.5 a game) He's also a better teammate and a better and more willing passer than Carmelo.

8. saleem

I had no idea that Seattle has 4 2nd round picks at 32,43,50,56 in addition to their lottery and the 24th pick from the Suns.
    It would be nice to see if the Rockets can pull out the 32 pick and get another "Landry".

9. Milad

Milad Member

With our first pick we MUST pick Jonas Jerebko, he is a Steve Novak with sick D and he is darn athletic.

10. Tuan

Tuan Member

I wouldnt mind Budinger but comparing him to Ray Allen or Grant Hill is just insane. Maybe you forgot just how good Hill was back in his Pistons days before he got hurt.

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

at 25, we take the best player, just like last year. I dont' care if he's another undersized guard or a Landry clone, if he's the best, we take him. If he turns out to be good but fills a role we don't need, then we have a tradeable asset. I hope Morey picks someone I've never heard of, like last year, because he did a good job. I also hope he trades our deadwood for some awesome euro player just like he did with Scola, but I don't think you get deals like that very often.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Yea, you know Seattle is going to want to move some of those second round picks. That 32nd pick looks awfully good, I would love another deal like last year.

13. Gwill88

Gwill88 Member

I think we need a backup for Rafer - someone that can shoot and d-up. I think either Lester Hudson or Mario Chalmers would be a nice pickup. I like Brooks alright, but he's not that great at defense and I'm a little disappointed in his shooting.

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I say we trade up our 2nd round pick to get DeVon Hardin from California.

15. poprocks

poprocks Member

Wow dude plays like Landry and he's white???? Waitaminute? That's umm freaky!!

16. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Yup, I know, huh?

Just watch at 2:25, he gets ABOVE the rim. Unlike Landry, he has some 'semblence of a perimeter game.