1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will pick 24th or 25th in NBA Draft (UPDATE: Tiebreaker lost, pick #25 it is)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Apr 17, 2008.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I know you're a big Brandon Rush guy. Let's pretend for a minute we draft him. Wouldn't we be drafting him to do the same thing behind T-Mac and Shane? I don't see the difference.

You make it sound as if we're drafting a guy at 24 with full intentions of making him a starter. Not likely.

Raef Lafrentz has been washed up for years. Not only that, he's not even a free agent. I know you're not advocating we muster up $13 million in salary to trade for a guy that's probably no better than Loren Woods at this point.

If Deke retires we have a serious need. The free agency pool is crap. As evidenced by my previous post this draft is unusually stacked with seven footers and true centers. Picking at 24 what more do you expect? One or two of those guys are bound to slip. I'd rather draft, groom and develop my own guy then end up with DJ Mbenga or somebody like that.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

With Landry's chronic knee problems, I'd use him with our #24/25 pick to move up in the draft to get a taller PF/C. If his knee is not chronic, then, by all means, keep him and pair the pick with Luther and/or Hayes. Trouble is, the injury more than likely is chronic but I'm hoping another team will take a gamble that it isn't.

3. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

2 things:

1. If the jazz get the 4 seed (even tho it's pointless and they don't get home court, but it let's them avoid the spurs) They SHOULD NOT draft ahead of the 567's with better records, or else seed them where they should be.

2. Sucks the suns are ahead of us because they'll trade that pic, i dunno why that matters but someone will probably be shooting for someone we want and they'll get that person and we'll all be pissed

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Media speculating that Walsh doesn't think David Lee is part of the Knicks future. After next season (Lee has one more season to go on his contract) media claims sources are guessing Lee can attract a contract starting at 10m in the first year. Walsh doesn't want to commit to that so they'll have a chance a Wade, LeBron, etc.

If Landry can re-sign for between 1.4M to 2.3M...

Landry+2008 1st round pick for David Lee

The only acceptable salary dump is Crawford but he's a player the Knicks need to keep.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It looks like we are picking #25:

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10786761

Wolves And Knicks Win Key Lottery Tiebreakers
    April 18, 2008 - 5:48 pm

Press Release -
    Four ties among teams that finished the 2007-08 NBA regular season with identical records were broken today through random drawings to help determine the order of selection for the 2008 NBA Draft, which will be held on Thursday, June 26 at The WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The drawings were conducted live on NBA TV earlier today in New York City by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

The results of the drawings:

- Minnesota (22-60) won a tiebreaker with Memphis
    - New York (23-59) won a tiebreaker with the Los Angeles Clippers
    - Phoenix (55-27) won a tiebreaker with Houston
    - San Antonio (56-26) won a tiebreaker with New Orleans

6. MONON

MONON Member

If we draft Hibbert, Deke would probably hang around to tutor him. That would be awesome!!

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we sign Landry for that much, he becomes a base year contract. In reality there is no way to trade him until the 2009-2010 season. However, I am not a contract guru like an Aeliott or Gater. I just know it will be difficult.

Our best contract to trade is Battier with Luther and Rafer way behind. Jackson's expiring won't be attractive until next February.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I forgot about BYC. I guess that'll mean if they need to trade him they have to do it before his current contract expires on July 1?

IMO if a contract is long enough, Jackson will be attractive enough now.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

Draft whoever has the highest FT %.

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I've said for months. Draft Courtney Lee.

11. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Dude, Lee is not THAT gooooooood ... :rolleyes:

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wouldn't even trade Landry for Lee straight up even if it worked salary wise.

13. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Well, at least we won't have to worry about Utah drafting Serge Ibaka or Hibbert, theyll probably go for one of these dudes if my expertise is correct:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

White floppers? :p

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

pretty much right on there

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

The middle guy Chase Budinger is an explosive player with a great shot. He also has height. He can jump and dunk like a beast. I want the Rockets to get him if hes there at #25. He will probably go higher. He might not come out cause he needs to work on his defense. I follow Arizona basketball alot and think he's a great talent. Look at his draft report http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/chasebudinger.html

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

i take a 7ft project any night over a 6"2 SG.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Says all the teams who passed on Gilbert Arenas.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

1. It's a lot easier to develop a swingman than it is a big man rookie. Rush could step in and bet 30 minutes per night just backing up McGrady and Battier. 96 minutes, 3 guys, 30 minutes a piece, plus McGrady will miss another 10 games next year. We have to get a solid 3rd swingman that can eat minutes and play effective offense.

2. The backup big man is a rookie and he will be playing 10 mpg max behind Yao. And if Yao goes down do we want a raw, underdeveloped rookie big man backing him up. If it was Oden or DHoward, definitely yes. But these bigs in this draft are just ............................... big. They're not difference makers. When Yao is healthy, they will get 10 mpg MAX. If Yao is injured, then we are looking for an upgrade, or going to Deke, or playing Hayes more minutes. Giving a rookie big a guaranteed contract and using the first round pick on him does not make sense when we have greater needs. If you have to take a big, buy a second rounder and get him there. But all the same, I'd rather have Raef after he gets bought out, or Mgenga, or Kurt Thomas or a Josh Powell than a rookie big man.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Depends on the big man you are talking about. Hibbert still needs development yes, but he's not as raw as you seem to think (he's like 24 years old and played out his eligibility at Gtown). Plus you give him half a year working with Yao and Mutumbo and I would go to war with him and Deke should Yao go down again.

He needs to improve his rebounding a bit and find a short jumper, but he's not just a big guy with no skills.

Some of the other guys, yeah they are just big, but should Hibbert last to our pick, I would take him.