1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will NOT match the Chandler Parsons offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2014.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I smile every time I see this thread.

Mavs screwed themselves.

False hope is a beautiful thing.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Mavs got better, we got worse - not sure how you figure we are the winners here.

DD

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lol delusion at its finest

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Yeah, he payed Parsons twice his worth and gave him trade kicker+po. Genius move by Cuban.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

We got rid of an overrated player who was going to be paid WAY too much and replaced him with a comparable player who is much better defensively, and also has more experience for half the cost....And kept flexibility to acquire a true star and not a wanna be like Parsons.

Yeah...I'm calling that a win.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious... if DAL ends up ahead of HOU in the standings, will you still think HOU won? If DAL gets into the playoffs, or further in the playoffs, will you still think HOU won?

I don't really care as much about any one player but I do care about whether we are more or less competitive. Right now... I fear we may not even make the playoffs, which is unimaginable for a team with Howard and Harden.

While I am still unhappy with the moves (both made and not) that happened this off-season, I have moved on. I do think this season is important... if we take a step back, then Moorey's performance has to be examined but at the very least a coaching change has to happen. And if the team doesn't move closer to contender status the season following... then the spotlight is on GM.

Oh, btw, I don't buy the whole Bosh story. While I am happy that the team "swings for the fences", I am unhappy that they seemed to be unaware that Bosh really wasn't interested in coming to HOU. Same was true of Melo.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Your questions are non-sensical.

RIGHT NOW I believe what I believe. Dallas ending up ahead of Houston in the standings is irrelevant to what I believe right now. There could be several reasons why Dallas ends up ahead of Houston in the standings other than Chandler Parsons trade off. When I have new data I will do the prudent thing and re-evaluate my stance as I always do.

Houston made the play-offs without Dwight Howard and with Lin starting at PG. We were playing Delfino and Parsons at PF a lot.

And you think this squad isn't going to make the play-offs?

Something would have to go terribly wrong.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Does it really matter who finishes higher if one team is 6 and one team is 7? one team makes the 2nd round and one team makes the first round? Stop thinking like Atlanta and Dallas.

As for Bosh, why are you saying he wasn't interested? it was only when Miami offered the full 5 years max (after low balling him for days) that he went, holy **** that's a lot of money.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think it goes deeper than that, DD. I think Dan Fegan played Morey, Fegan played Cuban, and Parsons happily didn't care where the hell he went, as long as he was treated as "a Star, a Max Contract Star, soon to be a Superstar, a Franchise Player, and every other damn thing that puts me on a pedestal standing amongst all the other Great Players of the NBA, which is where I belong!" Dan Fegan? Happily looking at millions more in his bank account, with every other mid-tier player in the league gazing at Parsons' contract with awe and burning up the various means of communication we have these days, attempting to get Fegan as their agent, so they can get an absurd contract for way more than they're worth.

Fegan is the real winner here. Morey was blind-sided. His epic mistake was letting Parsons out of his deal a year early, and we're dealing with the aftermath now. Morey getting Ariza to somehow sign for clearly below market value represents Daryl trying to recover from this disaster. Despite deserving to be slammed for the restricted free agent gift he handed Parsons and Fegan, he's bobbing and weaving, busy getting what he can from what's left in free agency. The fans of the Rockets were also played. Fans like me, fans like you, all of us. In my humble opinion.

4 people like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Parsons > Marion

Ariza = Parsons

As far as this transaction goes, the Mavs got better, but we didn't get worse.

As a team, with the subtraction of Lin and Asik, yes, the Rockets are now less talented than they were a year ago. But the offseason isn't over yet, and the Mavs future is far less bright than the Rockets.

Twilight Dirk + Parsons + 20MM in cap space (minus Tyson Chandler + Brandan Wright) does not create a contender.

The Mavs will be a nice little team this year. But they basically nailed the coffin shut on Nowitzki's career unless they land Marc Gasol/LaMarcus Aldridge in 2015. And even then, it's iffy.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not sure that Ariza = Parsons.

And I'm pretty sure that Parsons' ceiling is a lot higher than Ariza's.

I expect the Mavs to be better next season...and I'm not sure yet about the Rockets. Depends on what they do with the rest of their cap space.

But I'm definitely disappointed.

13. DaDakota

Not in a BAZILLION years is Ariza equal to Parsons - Parsons is so much more skilled than Ariza.

Ariza was HORRIBLE in Houston - he can't dribble the basketball, can't go left, can't pass, he is a spot up shooter who can defend, there is nothing redeeming about him as a basketball player.

Parsons is a good all around player, who can put the ball on the floor, set up teammates, and has a wonderful game around the rim with both hands.

Parsons will be up around 18-22ppg and Ariza will be in the 13ish range.

This was a major **** UP by Morey- if you let someone go to RFA, you have to be willing to match - which BTW is what Morey said, so now everyone knows his word is BS - and his bluff can be called.

Morey just got caught in a bluff, and that is a bad place to be in the tournament of NBA GMing.

DD

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

God your posts sucks.

He has no redeemable qualities as a basketball player except the ones I just listed a few characters earlier!!!

You also didn't watch him at all in Washington clearly because his ability to attack the basket and then pass off has gotten a lot better.

But in general you are right that Parsons is a more skilled offensive player. Much more skilled.

Teams always say they will match on RFA and sometimes they don't. It's happened throughout the existence of RFA. Your attempts at dramatizing and sensationalizing are futile.

15. DaDakota

Indeed.

It is the truth, Morey's bluff got called, now teams know he is full of it when he says he will match, he matched on Kyle, matched on Landry - his word had meaning, now - not so much.

DD

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So maybe in the future teams offer less because they know Morey won't match. Playing a game of what ifs is fun.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

DD you also said Von Wafer had a higher ceiling than Ariza. Again, STOP. You've been wrong more times than right.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I see vintage DD is back, and he's in mid-season form.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's only vintage DD when his "fanclub" starts posting right after him to support everything he says and then he accidentally posts as one of them because he forgot to switch accounts.