1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets will hold DMo to contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 8, 2016.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I wonder what the league is saying to Morey this morning about this deal cause he did do what I thought they shouldn't do which was pull the offer in order to renegotiate a "happy medium" deal like DD and Hollic had alluded to.

Also we got confirmation that yes, the Rockets would have to technically pull the matched offer in order to negotiate a new contract rather than amend the existing agreement.

Big risk the Rockets took this morning, but I'm sure Morey and the league made it crystal clear to BJ that if he pulls a fast one after they pull the offer, he would burn. Probably had them both locked into the room this morning with both documents ready to be signed at the same time, and held them there to make sure they wouldn't make a call to the Jazz in between contracts.

In the end though I think the Rockets will be able to tell other teams and the NBA that they had self motive to move the dates around to benefit the contract for the betterment of the team, but no doubt that the league is not happy that a team catered at all to a RFA who refused to accept the rules of the CBA they had negotiated.

2. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is not a happy medium. This was a mostly one sided stomping by the Rockets.

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

this whole thing is a mess

5. dobro1229

Ummm yeah... the fact that he will have no impact on the Rockets going hard in free agency is a huge get.... and now being tradeable... yeah.... its a good deal. I can't believe D-Mo fought that hard to have a new deal for a few bonuses when it actually made him less likely to be in the league on that contract at the end of the deal to even get the bonuses.

Just saying... they technically took a risk by pulling the offer in order to get a new deal which was a risk if they didn't have BJ locked in a room forcing him to not get on the phone with Utah in between contracts.

craguin likes this.
  6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I think D-Mo was probably sick and tired of how everything went down, because this really hurt him as a player and his own agent's rep took a huge hit as well. Probably told BJ "Look you ****ed up and I ****ed up by listening to you. Just get this **** done at this price range!"

charlieaustin likes this.
  7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

8. dobro1229

I do have a feeling D-Mo and his entourage outside of Wasserman told him to just take the Rockets original deal and this is it. That's what the Rockets wanted to begin with. All the while it has cost him a good month 1/2 of pay, and a PR hit he's going to have to deal with next free agency if he's repped by BJ.

Little does he know, Morey is going to have big FA plans this Summer and if he's high of the list of likely contracts to get moved to make way for a better player.... he could be back in FA before we know it, but I think he can be traded if he's healthy first. Getting ahead of myself here, but just saying his days of being a FA aren't over I'm sure of it.

9. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Depends on his performance this season, his contract could be a huge deal if we are able to make a trade for a superstar big.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But the seams! JB founds the seams!

1. Fails all year long to get any offer or SnT.
    2. Lets QO expire, and many Cap Experts think that was best deal, in hindsight to new
    3. Turns down $8m in Summer, and $7m + Incentives to $8m just recently from Rockets
    4. Signs $37m/4yr from Nets with March 1st waive date
    5. Morey schools him by matching an pointing out deal is only $31m for Rockets
    6. BJ embarrassingly asked his client to Hold Out, and
      with "I'll get you those bonuses. I will SHOW YOU THE MONEY"
    7. Final deal
      1. $31m base + $4m Bonuses = $35m
      2. DMo loses his March 1st Waive date for July 7th
      3. DMo even loses his Trade Veto Power that came with a match, since this is a new Deal directly with Rox

topfive, Deuce, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  11. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We all knew the Rockets would win the Standoff Part 2, as Morey not caving in was important not just to the Rockets, but the entire league.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. Lightsnowaction

Honestly, a absolute great contract. Makes me thank D-Mo for missing his physical and BJ for screwing around alot.

DonKnock and Jayzers_100 like this.
  13. dobro1229

Yeah I just noted this in another thread. D-Mo needs to have a damn good rest of the season unless he wants to be a FA again 7/15. The dates here matter too cause it gives D-Mo a late start to FA.

Again... D-Mo needs to fire his agent lol.

However... as you said, if he has a good season, his contract will be heavily sought after since its so team friendly. All performance dependent.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who gives a crap, the Rockets got better today - which is all that matters.

DD

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

[​IMG][/

DreamShook likes this.
  16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I agree. You know DD I typically never agree with you on anything including last season's D-Mo trade debacle, but I've found myself agreeing with you on most things in this whole D-mo saga. I don't think D-mo will be able to contribute right away or even soon enough, yet we're still better him back just because of the idea of him being able to return to form and also adding the diversity to our bigs.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why didn't he just take the original matched contract? The extra 3 or 4 millions is fools gold, in exchange, he's giving the Rockets even more power to (1) keep him for cheap if he performs, (2) trade him to anyone they want, and (3) dump him for nothing after this season if he doesn't perform or gets hurt.

Yeah, I feel bad for DMo. He's been screwed big time. But he has only himself to blame in trusting a fool like BJ Armstrong.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Timeout, this guy LIKES Ricky Sucio's game?

19. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Thanks for the Info Cod.

Did James hate Howard that much to avoid the team?

I've heard through some people (club workers) that he couldn't stand Howard. But you can never believe what people say. James could have been BSing with them too

20. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

I can't believe from all the sources we have her you, break the news on Clutchfans page ! I salute you! Well done sir. [​IMG]