1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will hold DMo to contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 8, 2016.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, maybe if Morey told DMo if he would fire BJ, he would give him the incentives. Since BJ is probably the most hated agent by all 30 teams now, the owners would thank Morey for doing that. :)

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Can any real expert tell me what will happen to Dekker, will he be back to Small forward, or back to the D League?

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Small forward and some small ball PF possibly. His defense is much too good to go down to the D League

heypartner likes this.
  5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I'm so tired of BJ's Handjobs jeez

6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

the D League?!? He's an important part of our rotation.

7. RESINator

RESINator Member

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

RFA was negotiated by players and owners. The players had a say in the rules of RFA. To include the incentives now, to bow to pressure to do more than match the contract's principle items, which is the rule again as negotiated by owners and players, would be to set a precedent that apparently no team in the league wants to see set. Players might like it and usually I'm a union man but when guys are negotiating over how many millions my pro-union leanings don't really survive that and I just see both parties as part of a business, who have already negotiated this rule. To break it would be to impact all 30 teams. Morey could possibly come back to him and offer him more if/when he plays well but it would have to be a result of that, not of a player and his agent trying to break restricted free agency as it exists now.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

And as for the "terrorism" thing I was just using a turn of phrase. I could have as easily said "you don't negotiate with hostage-takers" and it would have been more artful of me to do so. I think it was obvious I wasn't comparing NBA players or agents to terrorists. I was using the analogy to make a point.

MrSabotage likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yep, and basketballolic's new theory for DMo finally getting his $16m is centered around BJ holding the Offer Sheet hostage, and pressuring Morey into paying a high ransom or lose it by threatening to have DMo walk in and demand a physical at a date too late for Morey to assess whether to waive or not.

it's so awesome what the internet comes up with

And that Kevin Pelton from ESPN Insider asked Larry Coon in and interview about that scenario/theory, probably because he asked his readership to give him questions to ask. Coon didn't bother responding....probably shaking his damn head.

Deuce and Batman Jones like this.
  11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It goes without saying, having backing from the entire league on your side gives you powerful leverage. If it were to go to an arbiter, that weight of support would have to get considered.

It wouldn't be seen as GM going ripoff rogue so much, it'd be considered within standard business practice. So it if goes from this fierce battle into that WAR, thats a losing proposition for player & agent. So fight til certain death just for your own principle, or withdraw from it

Batman Jones likes this.
  12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Then someone has to get traded in order for Dekker to get play time. Corey Brewer needs to get traded in December 15. Maybe trade him and KJ McDaniels for Dunn from the Timberwolves and their second rounder. I tried the trade machine; and it worked.

13. heypartner

btw: I'm calling it right now. When DMo signs for the $31m or (probably) $35m, this will be basketballholic's new conspiracy theory of how BJ and DMo had a genius plan finding the seams in the fabric of the CBA universe, but the owners blocked them illegally through collusion.

#RFAisDirtyBusiness

Deuce, craguin, pippendagimp and 3 others like this.
  14. Batman Jones

I forgot about his "dirty business" stuff. He's just looking sillier and sillier isn't he? I haven't been keeping up with every thread. Has he even dared to show his face since Morey matched?

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Kris Dunn?? No way they give up Dunn.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Lolz.

Vivi and Mathloom like this.
  17. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Idiot inbred trailer-trash. Minn would not do that deal.

18. Nivos

Nivos Member

Question:
    Do you think there was a cooperation with the Nets front office as some kind of "GM's vs. Agents" war game?
    Were the Nets aware that the Rockets could pull that off or even planned it with them to be constructed like that?

#258 Nivos, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  19. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

From what I remember teams are not supposed to be in any sort of contact during negotiations

20. heypartner

oh...yeah. I didn't make up the new theory. As others have said, he has "doubled down and tripled down" on the DMo gets his big payday of $16m, or Morey loses him to Utah, or worst case for DMo is Morey matches a second offer but so late that DMo is untradeable effectively for 2yrs, both guaranteed but he has to come down somewhat on his $16m.

also, the cornerstone of the theory was this offer sheet has a player option for last year and he was being all smug telling ppl he knew that for certain and everyone else has to do their research ... then he was caught tweeting Bobby Marks, and Bobby had to say No, not once, but twice, because holic didn't think he understood the question the first time. Analogy to me is it's like in middle school when kids would settle an argument with the teacher, except in this case it's the obnoxious kid and the teacher has to break the news that he's wrong, and he doesn't believe her, and asks her again in another way.

went like this

holic
    "Bobby, are any of DMo's last years a PO"

bm:
    "no. Year 3 and 4 are not guaranteed."
    (if you know the cba this answer by bm is technically accurate and different than a PO. Capologist talk in these terms)

holic:
    Yes, I know they aren't guaranteed. But are you sure the last one isn't a PO

bm:
    I am

So the cornerstone of his theory was thoroughly shot down, for all who he called idiots to witness, when someone found the tweets, and posted them here

#260 heypartner, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Mathloom and Batman Jones like this.