1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will continue to improve

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 27, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe the shocking news yesterday has put me in some deranged state of mind, but I believe we still have enough to continue improving in Adelman's system and make some noise in the playoffs. I like the mix of players we have on this team, and as good as Yao is, I feel we may actually be a more effective offensive team playing small. We've added a PG who knows the offense like the back of his hand in Bobby Jackson, and we can now use that high post offense with Scola, Landry, or Hayes much more. A big obstacle offensively has been our inability to get the ball cleanly into Yao in the low post. Now that that option is gone, I think our offense can and will flow much better.

The other factor is McGrady. It's been mentioned in the past that he doesn't play his best ball alongside Yao, and I think there's truth to that. He struggles finding that balance between getting Yao the ball and taking control of the offense himself, and it results in tentative play. I think Yao's absence might help T-Mac get into an offensive groove as the season continues, much as it did last season. If McGrady buys in and competes like he's capable, with the other high energy players we have on the team, I think we can continue to improve as an offensive team.

Defensively, Yao's loss can potentially be huge. We'll obviously be playing small a lot more, which means we lose a shot-blocking and defensive rebounding presence. But there are other advantages. As noted by Matt Bullard in the telecast yesterday, when the Rockets play small they can switch defensively much more. They should be quicker in help and recover situations. Their transition defense could improve. And when we really need that shot-blocking and rebounding presence defensively, we got one of the best ever in Dikembe Mutombo. Granted, he's ancient ... but I believe he can get it done in limited minutes when called upon.

Ok, maybe this is an overreaction to an impressive win against a really bad Wizards team. People are dejected because they think our championship hopes are lost. Right now, I feel that getting past the first round will be like a championship in itself. I like how this team will be considered an underdog the rest of the way, and I think that can help keep them motivated as the season wears on. There's no reason why we still can't creep up in the standings and get a 6th or 5th seed. And when we get to the playoffs, we'll be playing with nothing to lose since no one will expect us to win.

I'm still excited about this team. Let's not give up on them.

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

i agree completely. with everything.

i think tmac can be dynamite the rest of the way and especially in the postseason; he just has to believe in this team without yao. if he's thinking its hopeless and feels like there's no point, his play will reflect it; i hope he doesn't have this mindset and i hope the rest of the rockets can continue their strong play to show that the rockets can still do plenty of damage. if they sincerely believe, they can do anything.

we'll miss yao defensively more than anything, but if chuck hayes can play out of his mind and regain his swagger on the court the dropoff won't be too precipitous. it might be wishful thinking but any chance that gerald green can be a consistent contributor would also be a big boost to our bench.

getting to the 2nd round would be a monumental achievement for this team and i want it for all the guys so badly, they really deserve it. there is little i want more than for tmac to get past the first round, at a time when he is facing the most adversity he has ever had entering the playoffs. i honestly won't fault them if they get wiped out in the 1st round again, but you just have to feel for tmac and hope that he can just get that monkey off his back.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We certainly can improve, but the chances of a championship for this year are slim and none, and slim just fractured his foot.

DD

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm totally with you man.

That's a great point on trying to get Yao the ball. I made the same point yesterday in another thread. I'd guess we lose the ball 4-5 times a game just trying to get him the ball in the post. If you add in all the turnovers Yao gets once he already has the ball (which happens all too much), a lot of turnovers are generated just by having him in the game. With less turnover prone players that we will not have to force feed the ball replaceing Yao, I think our turnovers will decrease dramatically.

The only thing I may differ with you on is I don't think Yao is much of a loss defensively. I think we get better defensively with Deke in and Yao out. Even at his age, he's a much better shot blocker than Yao.

5. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I agree that Yao's loss will make it much easier to transition to Adelman's offense. However, there's still one glaring problem that prevents us from reaching that offense, and that's T-Mac, who has a huge problem with holding the ball too long. I can't count how many times he sits at the the top of the key or on the elbow and waits 5 seconds before deciding to pass it off. The point of Adelman's offense is to keep the ball MOVING, but T-Mac is the opposite of that. He doesnt move the ball and he doesnt move without the ball. I know he racks up assists, but that comes from holding the ball and dishing it off after he drives. It should be much easier than that. Everyone complains how our role players stand around and watch T-Mac. That's because T-Mac MAKES them stand around by holding the ball too long at the elbow or at the top of the key. You KNOW your a ball stopper when Bobby Jackson doesn't move on the court, and that resulted from T-Mac sitting with the ball. If T-Mac's going to hold the ball so long then put him in the high post where he can hit cutters. When T-Mac was out, the offense was beautiful. Rafer was penetrating, players were moving, and the ball never stopped. T-Mac can make us win but he prohibits us from getting in Adelman's true offense. It's starting to look like the old Rockets with T-Mac coming off the pick every play. It HAS to be easier than that, and it can be if T-Mac learns to stop being a ball stopper (doubtful). ;)

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Hell yea! Hopefully mr. stat-man, you can provide us some insight on how well the rockets can do with yao out.

20-12 last season without yao in a system where it was just grind grind grind into the post is VERY impressive.

With a freeflowing system, maybe we can muster enough wins to get in. All eyes are on us to NOT succeed. Before we were deemed elite by few, and kind of just coasted around. Got owned for 13-15, then came back and everyone was on our jock. Now we're back down again cause of the injury and now everyone's playing hard to prove everyone wrong AGAIN.

Before we were darkhorses, now we're straight up underdogs. With the hustle guys we have AND the talent, I don't see how we could pull a GSW this season.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We'll win our first round matchup. I'm calling it.

8. Keivan

Keivan Member

I totally agree on every point. Great post.

This team is now totally underrated now that Yao is out. The Rockets still have a lot left, defensively and offensively.
    The Rockets have to keep believing, they are winners and have shown a great attitude so far.
    And yes Sooner423, Mutombo is definatly a better defender than Yao, even at age 41. We will miss Yao's presence at many times but this team can still go far.

I believe. Go Rockets

9. SilentAssassin

I have an idea! Why don't we just see what happens before everyone declares that there's nothing we can do about salvaging this season.

All the sports writers have already declared us dead (remember the Chron's article about the 'Stros a few years back with the tombstone?), so I think that's really going to motivate this team.

I'm excited to see what's going to happen, and how much egg the Rox can throw in all of these so called "expert's" faces. I sincerely feel that the entire league has written them off, and that can only work to our advantage.

I'm also throwing in my vote that Carl Landry and going to kick some major ass in the next couple of months and win ROY honors. That guy is really something else.

10. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

this team is dangerous for one reason and one reason only, this team has HEART! a will to not lose, to do whatever it takes to win.

I dont know when exactly they developed it but its there, and not even the loss of yao killed it

watching them last night made me feel like the next time they lose there will be blood all over the floor

I STILL BELIEVE!

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm with the thread starter. Still think that this team has enough talent to put together a solid run. Will be a lot tougher than it would have been with Yao but I think we'll see other players like Scola and Laundry florish in his absence. Also believe we'll see this team run the break a lot more now, gives them easier baskets.

If they can keep up thier defensive intensity they'll give themselves a real shot to make a run.

12. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

a lot of truth in ur post, I love Mac but he doesnt like to pass the ball just to move it around, he only likes to pass when somebody is wide open.

13. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I am very optimistic, but I can't stop thinking about:

*McGrady going like 1-9 yesterday and fear of him breakingdown trying to carry the team

*ROX are a very bad Freethrow team and other teams will put us on the line

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A stat to consider for those who thinking T-Mac disrupts our offense more than Yao:

For the season, T-Mac has played 297 minutes without Yao. In that time, the team has an offensive rating of 109.4 (defensive rating is 100.4).

For the season, Yao has played 889 minutes without T-Mac. In that time, the team has an offensive rating of 103.9 (defensive rating is 99.0).

Take that for what it's worth. I'm not trying to turn this into a T-Mac vs Yao thread, but I feel we are more than capable of being a very good offensive team with T-Mac as our primary scorer.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Figured that durvasa would post the stat layout that showed Yao had some of the biggest NEGATIVE impact on the team, the one where he suggested Yao was struggling to adapt to Adelman's system. Which would lead to the question of if Yao can't fit onto the offense, or if Yao doesnt fit into "today's" NBA, where the hell DOES he fit then? :eek:

The stuff about McGrady passing only when someone is open...should he start passing to someone who's NOT open for some Luther Head type variety to his game?

16. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more with you here. I still think a middle seed is well attainable by the Rockets. This team has a ton of guts, and I know we seem to say it every damn year, but this is..wait for it...the "best supporting cast T-Mac has ever had." :D We're getting to the 2nd round this year boys!!!

17. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Anything we do past this point is icing on the cake to me. I really have no expectations. I do, however, love this team. And regardless of the outcome, I am going to enjoy the rest of the season watching Luis and Landry grow, knowing we have a VERY bright future ahead of us.

18. bjshot

bjshot Member

I think you way underestimate Yao's defensive influence. His presence changed so many shots and even though he's slow, he cleared space for his teammates for rebounds. There's a reason that Rockets is #1 rebound team. the reason is Yao.

JVG said that defensively half of yao was still way better then Deke after Deke impressive run in last season.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that was supposed to include yao.

if he was on the east, no doubt. but the west, we will need a "few" breaks to advance. let's be real. every team will be at full strength and we're missing one of our superstars and not some role player.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Now, every night it is dog fight for WC players. I don't think all other teams' palyers can keep health to the end of season (sorry, I don't want to curse anyone). If there is also a major injury in the team that the rockets will face in playoffs, the rockets could win easily. You never know what will happen. Maybe, there are couple of players who are suspended (e.g., last year's suns). Don't give up untill the last second!