1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want two first round picks to trade Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItalianRocket, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Et tu, DD?

I can understand going on other fan sites and seeing, "Let's trade some toenail clippings and butt hairs for Omer Asik, then flip him for [a good player, as if Morey would have never just traded for that 'good player' in the first place]." They don't know any better.

I think we all know Asik's offensive liabilities.

I mean, if you throw him a pass, he looks like he's catching a bowling ball.

But it's his rebounding and his defense that stand out. The way an opposing player will take it to the basket and get turned back---not necessarily blocked, but turned back---by the Great Wall of Turkey.

12 rebounds in 30 mpg, as he was playing last year, is nothing to sneeze at. Hypothetically, with more "traditional" minutes (34 mpg?), he might have even led the league in rebounding.

Thankfully I've known a few Turks in my life. Worked with a Turk at [such-and-so company] until my contract was up. From what I understand, the modern form of writing in Turkey---romanized script---was introduced by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. Quite a country, a meeting of West and East.

In fact, my former coworker used to play for the Turkish league and knows Asik. I need to call him, see what he might know.

#161 ROXTXIA, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He did have more total rebounds than anyone else last year, but was 3rd in rebs/game.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you know a little something about NBA defense, and watch/ed him play it, there is more to get excited about beyond 10pt/12reb per game.

Also on offense.... yes, he's pretty terrible at scoring himself, but as a team offensive player he sets very, very good screens, and rolls to the rim well. The only liability is the guards knowing to never send him a bounce pass EVER, and don't put him in position to force a contested layup. Also, coaches need to make sure he passes the ball back out on an offensive rebound. He's terrible at finishing in traffic.

If you know who Asik is, he's a very exciting player to acquire. If you think he's going to grow into areas he's never been adequate at before in his career you are going to be disappointed.

I would hope GM's would be smart enough to know these things.

4. atwood

atwood Member

Besides defense side, Asik's passing skill is really good if not great. Not many C can pass the ball like him. He can initiate a fast break via the long pass in a very solid way. He would not be the perfect candidate to catch those long pass though...

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

So, he will not be traded this season. Good for Rockets, bad for Ömer.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ömer may have a change of heart. Winning can do that :)

7. Deniz

Deniz Member

Like Irish? Dr.Oz (Mehmet Öz), Ersan Ilyasova, Mehmet Okur etc are also light-skinned. Or Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (founder of Turkey), Orhan Gazi Sultan (Ottoman Sultan) were also light-skinned and blond.
    And what about Chandler Parsons lost brothers Kıvanç Tatlıtuğ and Engin Öztürk? :grin: Do they also look like Irish? Yeah, most Turks look like Irish lol:rolleyes:

This!

8. Deniz

Deniz Member

I hope so :)

9. nirianto

nirianto Member

I want Asik to stay. I don't mind seeing Asik and Howard on the floor depending on match-ups. Remember early in the season when we played against Memphis? Asik and Howard completely shut down Gazol and Z-Bo. We need to have two bigs who can play defense. Greg and D-mo are not there yet.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I want Asik to stay too, but I don't want him to be a toxic influence. Plus, if we can get another guy on the cheap to play the Asik role and give a solid 15 minutes off the bench plus play a little TT versus Memphis, then we're set. Kind of like what we had with Mutumbo.

11. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Morey's a smart guy.
    He wants Asik to stay.
    It's all a Ruse.

Morey will come to Omer immediately after the trade deadline and say something like "omer...look, I tried getting Lebron in exchange for you but, the Heat just wouldn't budge" or "Omer, sorry big fella', but the Trailblazers just weren't willing to do an Aldridge-Batum-Lillard package in exchange for your services, and so I guess you're just stuck with us until the end of your contract [Morey giggles off to the side]"

"Oh vell," Omer sighs, "I guess I be here in Houston for next two years. Have to go out, do best I can, try to help team win championship".

Omer from that point on goes into "Rocky" bad a** training-mode style (cue in music) and starts putting up double-double after double-double off the bench; and Morey is like..."YES!!"

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Melo has the talent we want, but can he play well with our guys (or anybody else)? If so, I'd do this deal.

13. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

More like:

Morey - we couldn't trade you , didn't get a good offer.

Asik - you f$!%$ liar, all you do is lie. Tell me to come here and I will start, tell me to try stupid twin towers, tell me you would trade me by 12/15. Well, you're going to pay me and I'm going to play like crap for you until you trade me you motherF@(*(!

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Ryan Anderson went off again today

15. Xepa

Xepa Member

Asik isn't worth a top 5 pick in this year's draft. It's the best draft since 2003. No one on the Rockets outside of Dwight (or perhaps even including Dwight) are worth a top 3 pick. Get real.

16. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Hahaha pure Gold :grin:

Probably what's Gonna Happen when he is Not traded though

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Morey - I told you I would get you 15 million in one season. How's that for some truth.