1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want two first round picks to trade Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItalianRocket, Dec 1, 2013.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Isn't Okafor out for the season?

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

playing in turkey...

3. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Steep asking price. I could only see this happen if it were a team with some awful contract(s) they want to get out from under. Something like Asik for picks + get Garnett off our books.

4. J Hard

J Hard Member

You get a cookie ;)

5. Raven

Raven Member

Inside knowledge? If so, tell us the rest of the trade.

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Two first round picks means nothing to me... where are the in the draft? are they lottery picks or are they protected?

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Probably correct, which is a shame because I personally think D-Mo can at least be a rotation player/decent starter with some more time (although he's easily replaceable, especially since Jones seems to have found his own).

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like you mentioned. And then see the haul from that draft and Lin in a three way trade for someone big.

I've been saying it since the Deron Williams trade in 2011, the haul for a superstar seems to be like three picks/young players plus a replacement (Devin Harris in the Williams trade, Martin in the OKC trade etc.)

If that doesn't happen, then he just uses the picks to bolster the bench or take some projects to be the next superstar pairing. I think this is actually more likely, only because I don't know what Morey would be targeting. We (obviously) don't need to upgrade the 2 or the 5. Quality point guards are easy to come by (and would a superstar PG would be a waste next to Harden). Maybe a small forward if he can't resign Parsons? Or is he going for LMA or Love as everyone seems to think?

8. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

Ultimately Asik will not get as much as Lin would RIGHT NOW.

Lin w/Asik would yield much more right now than Asik would ever alone.

Lin+Asik is a building block for an entire NBA TEAM. Although slightly expensive, if they both were guaranteed starting positions, when they re-signed, they would definitely be rebuilding blocks for whichever team they joined.

9. haydenfisher342

Morey has started before that a 2nd round pick is more valuable than any first round pick above 16

10. cw3k

cw3k Member

True, but I don't see Lin is going anywhere. Lin is the insurance in case Harden goes down. Just look at OKC when Westbrook was down. Morey will not allow this happen.

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Two first round picks means too many things for us, Morey will be able to do some trades same as Martin for Harden, maybe Lin & 3 pics for Rondo

12. faraza84

faraza84 Member

No ones gonna give 2 picks with the upcoming draft class considered strong and with the severe implications for tax repeat offenders. Many teams will value picks a lot more than in previous years. I can see maybe one crazy protected pick or a second rounder but I highly doubt 2 first rounders.

13. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Knicks fans want to trade Melo for Parsons, Asik, and Lin. LOLOL

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Generally when people say multiple 1st round picks in any trade scenario, it implies 2 picks the next year and 2 years down the road. In this case, 2014 and 2016. It's also implied that any pick would be lottery protected, or at least top 10 protected.

Even if the Rockets get two 1st in a trade for Asik, they're not coming close to sniffing Wiggins or Parker.

If he said this, then he must've said it before the current CBA. The new rules on 1st round contracts of 2-years guaranteed+2 team-options make it so there's very little difference in salary between low 1st and high 2nd.

15. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

2 first round picks is a lot better bargaining chip for a player on a rebuilding team than a back loaded contract that's about to balloon next season. Asik isn't a rebuilding piece, he's a finishing piece for teams that want to contend right now.

16. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

The problem with that is do we really want to trade Asik to a team that is contending right now since we are contending also? Doesn't that potentially hurt us?

From the sounds of things, Asik just wants to be a starter. I don't think he cares where it is, as long as he's a starter. But, if we try and ship him to a bottom feeder there is no way in hell we get 2 first round picks in return. Maybe two 2nd rounders and a questionable contract in return.

17. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Yeah a team that's completely rebuilding would probably value their picks higher than Asik and we probably don't want to give Asik to a contender (especially in our conference) if not only because the competition but for the fact that we'd get bad picks from them.

A team trying to be relevant, trying to make the playoffs, is probably where we're going to get the best return from him. You want those guys at the trade deadline who are hovering around .500 and are pretty desperate to get better because the GM knows the owner is not going to be happy if they don't see some post season action/revenue this year.

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You put Asik on a team Like Denver, New Orleans, Dallas or Philly, New York, Raptors an they become a lot better.I don't see a rebuilding team giving of their first round pick especially is what is considerd one of the deepest drafts if not ever for a guy like Asik or Lin. They can get a future franchise player in the top 8 to 10 picks.

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Seriously if Omer Asik was black, eveyone on this message board would be pretty mad at his decision for wanting a trade, and that's the sad honest truth. smh. I remember when Brooks demanded a trade a couple of years ago everyone was crucifying him. PITIFUL

20. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Are you implying that CF users are Turkish supremacists or just generally dislike black people while simultaneously being fans of a sport played predominantly by black athletes?