1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want two first round picks to trade Omer Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItalianRocket, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Remii

Remii Member

You mean for Asik...??? Lol...

2. Remii

Remii Member

This is Morey's slick way of keeping Asik for the rest of the season... He may be asking for too much so he doesn't have to trade him... Asik will probably be more valuable after the season during the draft...

3. joepu

joepu Member

It would be a good idea to get first round picks for 2016 and beyond. Right now the team is overloaded with talent. Unless the rockets hit the jackpot in the draft any picks in the near future will not get a chance to develop. Roster needs stability now and time to build chemistry in order to contend.

4. rogower

rogower Member

"Daryl Morey is asking for two first round picks for Omer Asik" = Translation: Morey already is being offered one first round pick by at least one team and is doing his due diligence. I expect Morey to take the best Asik offer on Dec 15, and my guess is Asik gets traded to either Portland or Boston. The return package will be an expiring contract plus one first round pick. Maybe more than one first round pick if Portland capitulates.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with Jeremy Lin. I can see Houston trading Lin for the same sort of package. I can also see Houston holding on to Lin.

1 person likes this.
  5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

No offense, but clearly you do not understand Daryl Morey with statements like that. It's always about the future... #Assets

6. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I said nothing about the future, all I said was I thought we were competing for a chip this year, trading Asik for a pick and we can kiss contending for a chip bye.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Couldn't we then trade those picks for assets or stars? Just because we don't need them anymore, doesn't mean other teams don't right?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Personally, I would take the Gortat deal with a bit of extra sweetner, like the rights to swap picks in 2015(with protection of course) in addition to the 1st. But the pick has to be expected in the teens. 13~19ish range. If the picks are expected to be much lower, like the Spurs or the Pacers picks, 2 may not even be enough.

The annoying problem is that all the good fits are to teams that we don't want to trade to. If OKC was in the East, I can easily see Asik for Perkins, two 1sts, and maybe Lamb/PJ3. Dallas would be a nice fit for Asik, except seriously? Dallas?

9. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Who's to say that pick might be a bust?

I rather trade for a impact player.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

if by chip you mean championship... i'm gonna have to disagree with you.

this team can hang with anybody.. assuming everyone is healthy & not in a massive slump.

no one is giving morey an all star for asik. no use trading for spare parts that we already own.

a draft pick in the 1st round of this heavenly draft is the logical path..

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I'm hoping we deal Asik by the time Camby is healthy.

Camby's a pretty damn good backup C, when healthy.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Last time Camby was really healthy was in 2009-2010. Since then, he's been injured about as much as not.

13. hahachui

hahachui Member

2 first round pick is fair
    or
    1 top 5 pick

14. calcium

calcium Member

Exactly. If they can't even get something like that right, takes credibility from the other bits of the article.

15. Raven

Raven Member

Morey is so awesome. :grin:

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

oh okay.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A trade won't happen until Okafor is available

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There is absolutely nothing obtainable for Asik that will help a title run more than keeping Asik. When everyone is healthy the Rockets bench is a force of nature, capable of putting up 35+ points in any game. I can see Morey stalling on trading Asik for the whole season if Asik will stand for it. I would.

19. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Is that bum even in the league now?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two first round picks isn't that high - that could be a 22nd and 24th pick in the draft for instance. It's not like he's asking for two top 10 picks or something.

Morrissey will get it done!