1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waiving Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 10, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My guess is Morey values Melo's contract for salary matching.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's a 1 year veteran's minimum contract. There's not much value there in salary matching and there would certainly be blowback if we traded him against his will to another team without an agreement in place for that team to waive him.

Ultimately I think that's what Morey is hoping for. Either Melo finds a team that will claim him if we waive him OR we can put him in a trade that sends him somewhere that will waive him, but that's another month before we can even explore.

Melo's ideal situation right now is a team agreeing to claim him off of waivers.

YOLO and BigMaloe like this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think much more likely, us being the player friendly organization we are, that we have came to agreement with melo to split ways.

Yet, rather than cut ties and send him to the streets, we keep him on the roster while he trys to find a new home; which allows him to continue being employees.

Also, is backed by Morey saying "Melo has been wonderful and done everything we've asked him to". Trying to protect his image while obviously lying lol.

Easy, hakeem94, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not sure what you mean value is salary matching, as that is completely dynamic.

If the Rockets don't want him, they can cut him tomorrow.

But if they want to save on lux tax dollars, they can trade him to wherever he wants to go and dump him out right, and pick up a TPE.

All signs point too us wanting to wait till Dec. 15 to do something with him.

5. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

He likes man hood?

6. JW86

JW86 Member

If he cannot accept his limited abilities and accept a bench role then he should retire! Please don’t convince this idiot to stay.

Zboy likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Would the Rockets keep him until Dec 15 so he can be traded? Does it lessen or eliminate his cap hit?

If it is so he can be included in a package to upgrade the roster I am all for it. Portland has been rumored as wanting Melo for over a year now. Miami also has pieces that can help. I personally think Aminu/Harkless would be a significant upgrade at the 3/4. Winslow/Johnson fit defensively but they don’t shoot the 3 well. I don’t see anyone on Philly (besides Butler) that we could get that can help us now. If we can get back assets that can help us win now, then why cut him?

I admit I don’t know all the rules surrounding December 15 in regards to what we can or can’t do with Melo. I am looking for clarity.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. TheSource

TheSource Member

Melo + Knight for Draymond Green

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not sure why these potential teams would be willing to give up anything though. They won't really need to when the league basically knows he's played his last game as a rocket and can just claim him off of waivers eventually if they want him

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm only on board with this deal if the rockets literally don't let draymond play a single minute. In fact, maybe they get Green to wear the old turbo uniform and entertain fans. Green isn't like a Beverly, where I hate him until he's on my team, I legitimately hate him and think the basketball world, nay, the entire world would be better without him.

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I would give 1sts for Draymond Green. Dray would be amazing in this lineup. His toughness, defense, and rebounding would make us title contenders again.

Zboy likes this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yup. 4 1st for Draymond anyday.

Not only does it make us stronger but it significantly weakens the Warriors.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. hakeemthagreat

Who said he didn't want a limited role? He said it himself he'll do anything to help the team. Daryl Morey even said Melo has been a professional & done everything they asked of him. MDA didn't even Melo & is pushing him out. This is all about grudges

16. justtxyank

Honestly I think it was all good until Gary Clark took Melo's job. Coach has decided he will play Clark over Melo which Melo is stuck as the 9th/10th man playing some backup 5 and spot minutes at 4. Maybe 10 minutes a game.

I don't even blame Melo for not being happy with that.

Deuce, GermanRoxFan, jboslett and 3 others like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

No he won't accept just anything to help the team. He is willing to make certain sacrifices, but he is conditional. It's the truth. You can be in denial all you want, but this is all about Melo not being able to take a lessor role. I get it, the guy has been a superstar all his career and he's been the primary option for the majority of his career. It's hard to fathom that you no longer can play that role, that you no longer can play heavy minutes, that you may no longer close games or start games. This is Melo's reality.

I believe that he is a good guy in the locker room, but I know he has a huge ego and that's what is going to prevent him from continuing his career. You just watch, if he ends up on another team that's a playoff contender, same issues will arise. At this point, he is better off finding a team like the Hornets, that are trying to make the playoffs and are not trying to tank, but think they are a Melo away from being more competitive.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. If Melo could be somewhat productive defensively, then Gary Clark wouldn't be taking his position. You best believe that.

HakeemOnlyFan, Easy and justtxyank like this.
  19. justtxyank

He needed to be an elite offensive weapon or at least competent on defense. By being ok some games and terrible others on offense and all around bad on defense he made it easy for a guy who was just passable to take his job.

For all the hate Ryno got he had a long stretch last year to start the season where he was bombing from 3 (remember the "CP3-Ryno connection!" theories) AND he was competent on defense. (See threads about him holding up in isolation, etc.) If Melo had done that it would all be fine.

Instead he was mediocre from 3, refused to stop taking long 2s, didn't keep the ball moving AND was bad at defense. So fine, here's a good defender who isn't good on offense but will at least run the damn system.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wish we paid Melo more. The full MLE even. That'd be more valuable than the MLE we have now or Melo's baby contract.