1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 17, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No one has poached Caboclo, either. I guess he wants to collect that $50k bonus we owe him if he remains a Viper for 90 days (or was it 60?), so is turning down suitors.

amaru, cbs1507 and topfive like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Joe Cheese would be the ultimate player to tank. Un-waive him!

He could need some stat padding.

3. mig0s

mig0s Member

How did Joe do in the G league this year?

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i'm so confused...
    CF told me Qi had immense value - not only in potential but as a marketing tool as well...
    Gee... could he have been overvalued on the board?

lol!

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

So signing Rivers as a FA was the trade that was imminent for which we immediately needed the spot?

I actually don’t like piling on @basketballholic , but these assertions, stated with absolute certainty, are so incredibly obnoxious.

topfive, Deckard and King1 like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he was talking about G league defensive player of the year

topfive likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Stop pretending
    We know you don’t care about anyone on the Rockets
    @Zboy

8. basketballholic

Rivers was an unexpected turn of events. We never thought a player like that would be available this early in the season. Had to jump on that. It was not what we were planning to do with that roster spot. And it has delayed a trade.

9. alethios

alethios Member

He was overvalued as a replacement for Capela. ;)

kjayp likes this.
  10. basketballholic

Actually Capela is overvalued as a starting center. That's been the point of contention.

11. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After a 20/20 game?!? Be gone troll! :mad:

topfive likes this.
  12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Yeah with that 39% FG and 31% 3pt we had to jump on that. I mean who pass that up? Oh that’s right every team but us.

13. basketballholic

Context matters.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't know his stats, but the game was starting to slow down for him. He learned to set a solid pick, apart from shooting jumpers and blocking shots.
    Injuries hurt him, and his lack of strength, stamina, and speed precluded him from taking bigger steps unfortunately.

15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy was an absolute chump on the court. I rooted for him because he had the Rockets jersey on him but he honestly isn’t an NBA player. If you can’t see this, you are either blind or maybe just Asian. :D

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I happen to be both thank you very much!

coachbadlee likes this.
  17. Asian Sensation

If he was shooting better obviously he wouldn’t have been readily available. He struggled in WAS but he’s proven he belongs in the league and that he can play in big games. He has the talent and skill set to help us immediately no matter how much you dislike or hate him.

It was reported that at least 4-5 teams had interest in Rivers. I know reports aren’t always 100% accurate but that sounds about right.

In regards to what @basketballholic said about ‘context’ we gave up zero assets (no picks or players) and got him for free basically. His cap hit for the remainder of the year is like $930K. We couldn’t have done any better. We were literally gifted a nice gift that we needed which we couldn’t otherwise afford.

Since I was just talking about context.... As a comparison the Jazz gave up a young asset in 27 year old Alex Burke ($11.5m expiring) and 2 future 2nd round picks for a soon to be 38 year old one dimensional not-so-sharp shooter. Thru 12 games since returning to Utah... Korver is shooting 43% FG and 38% from 3pt.

What’s your problem with the Rivers signing again?

Pizza_Da_Hut and kevtse like this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Brother he thought zhou Qi was the key for us to stop Kevin Durant
    This makes us 99ers laugh

Dmo likes this.
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Neither being wrong nor making a partially-informed guess is a sign of weakness. If you genuinely have sources , they obviously aren't perfect. Unless your source is Morey, they won't be 100% accurate. That's OK - acknowledge uncertainty when you post. If it is your opinion, also fine - just acknowledge that. Either way, if you are wrong - as you were about Qi unless every single GM in the league is biased or ignorant -- admit it and move on.

Merry Christmas ... I hope 2019 brings you a new level of security.

#239 cmlmel77, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Deckard likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Qi is still a young developing player. I can't say I'm wrong about him right now. He's still better then half the backup centers in the Association. His problem was he didn't have a guaranteed contract. That's all.

Haven't changed my opinion on him yet. He still has defensive player of the year potential. Don't know what the big deal is with stating that. Just because we waived him doesn't mean his career is over.

K?

Merry Christmas to you too.

cmlmel77 likes this.