1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Nov 8, 2015.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

I love Chuck, but the guy should send us a big kiss. He went from not being wanted in the league to a 8, 9 year NBA career thanks to us giving him the opportunity in the first place.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll add that I think it sucks for the team, certainly near-term. Chuck looked very solid when he was on the court. Heck, considering he had no time to get used to the players and just what the coaches wanted out of him, I found his performance remarkable. For a few minutes here and there, it was almost like he never left. Setting massive picks where they were needed, moving well without the ball, blocking out, those quick passes. It was all there, briefly. Those describing him as a scrub dropped down a notch in credibility, at least with me. Either they are kidding, didn't watch the games, or are simply clueless, in my humble opinion. Chuck, at this stage of his career, isn't going to set the world on fire, but he never did. Chuck simply helped the team win games. He gave the Rockets solid minutes when he was on the court, doing what they asked of him. For that he deserves to be slammed? Get a grip, people.

4 people like this.
  3. YallMean

YallMean Member

in 2006 Hayes signed a shoe endorsement deal with Chinese athletic apparel company Li Ning. The deal was valued at $5 million

On July 31, 2007 Hayes signed an incentive-laden contract with the Houston Rockets valued at $8 million over 4 years

On December 9, 2011, Hayes signed a four-year, $21.3 million contract with the Sacramento Kings

Not bad, not bad

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We might have given him a chance, but it was his work ethic and heart that kept him in this league. Chuck was awesome.

1 person likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He needs to thank JVG and Adelman.

JVG understood his defensive value. Adelman made him a positive, rather than a liability on offense by using him as the high post passer.

No other coach understood that his BBIQ is off the roof and needed to be utilized.

Oh, he also should thank Yao Ming for being injured so that Hayes could become the shortest starting center since Wes Unseld.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't know, but perhaps the "hard cap" refers to cumulative $$$ spent, not payroll at a given moment. if so, every $ spent on CH cuts into whatever $$ the team has left to spend.

feel free to correct me.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sure the Rockets told Chuck it was temporary. Respect the hell out of him as a player for being his height and playing center. He's seems cool too. I met him at the post office about 5 years ago. It was mostly a quick hello and "go Rockets". He was driving a Cadillac. He kind of brings up not great memories basketball-wise though. We were King 9th Seed for a while when he was here. The crappies position a team can be in.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Sounds like it considering when they signed him he said something like he doesn't know how long it's gonna last, but he's just gonna enjoy the ride for now.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

the 14th pick? yea those were not good days.

10. Nero

Nero Member

That's what I was wondering too - apparently this stuff, as complicated as it already is - is recalculated on a daily basis as well.

Insane, in other words.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Y dey do dat? :confused:

12. Nero

Nero Member

1 person likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would like to see him in the role of a coach

1 person likes this.
  14. dragician

dragician Member

Welcome to Houston, KD.

15. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Spot on

16. basketballholic

Agreed. That poster should be banned for 6 months with a 3 month grace period if he apologizes.

17. amaru

amaru Member

You can't help but like Chuck Hayes

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

For a 6'6 Center who DIDN'T get drafted, Chuck had/has a great NBA career. Who would of thought he would get a contract like what the Kings gave him.

19. hakeemthagreat

Agree 100%

Chuck's basketball IQ is why he's still in the league. What he lacks in athleticism and height, he has in knowledge of the game. For instance, Chuck is ALWAYS in the right spot defensively. He'll never be a shotblocker. But he's always shutting down a lane, taking a charge or cutting off the angle of his opponents. That's why guys like Blake Griffin have problems against Chuck. He's the type of player I'd want in the same mode of Jason Terry.

1 person likes this.
  20. PotStu

PotStu Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yvn8IG8BgFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>