1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs. Celtics On ESPN2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets R' Us, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

They had some of the old footage of the 86 finals where the Rocks lost to the Celtics. IT was really cool for me becuase it was my first time watching it. Anyone else catch it? Who here went to those games? Were they really exciting and tense and down to the wire as it seems on the TV?? [​IMG]

------------------
    Charles Barkley on TBS on the "fat track" poll: "What? 47% said I'd gain more.....why those.....they better be glad this is a family show."

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

No, not really. After losing games one and two in Boston (both by 10+ points), by the time they got to the Summit, it was almost a feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop, and "not on our home court."

What I remember feeling the most about that year was that the Rockets would be back. The Twin Towers were unstoppable, and they had dispatched the Lakers. That sense of unfulfilled promise is why many folks hold such a grudge against Ralph.

------------------

3. JR

JR Contributing Member

i remember craig ehlo scoring the last basket of the year for the rockets in that series on a layup at the end of game 6.

------------------

4. Valio!

Valio! Member

I remember Ralph Sampson clocking Jerry Sichting (sp?) and getting ejected. What WAS that anyway?

------------------
    "I think the people who believed the world was flat were pretty stupid. You would think at least those living near mountains would know better." - P. Mesku

5. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I went to gane 4(I think) at the Summit. I'm pretty sure we lost. Losing to the Celtics was worse than 20 years of losing to the Jazz. Their whole team was made up of Stockton clones. Larry had grace but little style. But man, the rest of them were freaky lookin' bastahds.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I was at game 3 in the Summit. We won easily. I still have the little megaphone they handed out to all the fans at the game. Man, my throat still hurts from all the screaming I did that day.

BTW, we paid $200 for 3 upper prom, slightly off mid court seats. I wonder what those tickets would cost today.

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

7. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Are you sure you weren't at Game 5, Behad? Games 3 and 4 were tight, the only close games of the entire series.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sauce that losing to the Celtics was a bitter pill. If it's any consolation, that was one of the best teams of all time that the Rockets took to six games.

------------------
    The Badministrator

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

No, it was definitely game three. I may be fuzzy on the details of "winning easily" (the eighties were good to me [​IMG] ), but it was game 3 for sure.

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS