1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' Unfamiliar Faces Are Going Places

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsregle, May 4, 2009.

1. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I know it was a long shot for him to win it, but anyone else think Morey should have gotten more than one vote for Executive of the Year?

[rquoter]Rockets' Unfamiliar Faces Are Going Places
    Mostly Unknown Cast Meets Lakers In Second Round

By Daniel Uthman
    Special to The Washington Post
    Monday, May 4, 2009

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Before each game in his team's first-round NBA playoff series, Houston Rockets guard Von Wafer made his way to a pregame commissary, where arena workers, scorekeepers and other staff ate salads, carved meats and assorted desserts. He hardly talked to anyone, filling a carryout container with pasta salad and fruit before walking back to the locker room in his retro Air Jordan IIIs.

Wafer ate the same food as the clock operator or the guy who shoots T-shirts into the crowd. And on the court, he played in shoes he bought off the rack and has worn since last summer.

"They're kind of beaten up, but they feel so good, I don't want to get rid of them," he said. "I'm going to wear them until the end of the playoffs."

In some ways Wafer, Houston's unassuming sixth man and fifth-leading scorer, is emblematic of the Rockets -- a group of faces in the NBA crowd who can blend into the background and still be successful...

Click for Rest of Article

[/rquoter]

#1 rocketsregle, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

I hope Wafer has a monster series against LA

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

awesome article, thanks

4. blender

blender Member

Great article. Thanks.

The article mentions Wafer shot a team-best 46 percent from three-point range and averaged a team-low 0.5 turnovers in the first-round series. Very impressive.

5. dijk

dijk Member

Great story, thanks.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Awesome article, I've been wondering why Wafer wore those Jordan's.

"I'm thinking about getting rid of it," he said. "Too much attention."

That sucks... I liked the Von Hawk.

7. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

He won't need his Von Hawk anymore to get attention cause his game will do the work. BTW, Good read.

8. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Great article, Thanks a lot. :)