1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets undefeated when Yao scores at least 25 pts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Feb 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SugarLandDream8

Yao has scored 25 pts or more 13 times this season. The Rockets are 13-0 in those games.

10/30 Dal - 30pts
    11/24 Mia - 28 pts
    12/5 GSW - 33 pts
    12/16 Den - 32 pts
    12/19 Sac - 30 pts
    12/27 Utah - 26 pts
    1/7 Bos - 26 pts
    1/17 Mia - 26 pts
    1/19 Den - 31 pts
    1/31 GSW - 25 pts
    2/3 Chi - 28 pts
    2/7 Min - 30 pts
    2/26 Clev - 28 pts

This tells me give Yao more shots and the Rockets will win more games.

2. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Could you tell me what the Rockets win-lose ratio is when they play at 7:30 PM, at home, and it's raining? I hope it's good!

3. echu888

echu888 Member

That's a good point ... Especially with the efficiency of Yao, he gets about 15 FGAs at most per game...

But part of it is his own shot selection. I believe he tends to avoid shots where he doesn't have a good degree of confidence.

The other part has to do with his aggresiveness. He'll get his if he consistently pushes toward the basket, but he doesn't do that every game.

But anyway, good stat ... reminds of D-Wade going off for 50+ but still losing... that's great for Wade but meaningless for the team. So, I like what this stat says about Yao's contribution to the good of the team. Means when he scores it is a net positive impact on wins, as opposed to "selfish" scoring which hurts the team.

4. jondoe

jondoe Member

Thats why guys like Artest and the former artist known as Tmac like to play with Yao. He is totally unselfish, sometimes to a fault.

5. rawool

rawool Member

22-2 also when 20+ pts

6. Bustnani

Bustnani Member

My guess is that when Yao scores 25+, teams are not fronting. When teams front, it not only takes Yao out of the game, but the entire offense looks like a bunch of headless chickens, they start panicking, shock clock runs down and they force up a shot.

Sometimes I wonder if the opposing coaches pull a rope a dope, let Yao get his in the first 3 quarters , then start fronting and Rockets collapse.

7. FFz

FFz Member

"Houston has now gone two years without losing a game at home during the month of Feb. The Rockets went 8-0 at Toyota Center in Feb. 2008 and closed out Feb. 2009 with the exact same 8-0 record."

from the notes on rockets recape page.

Can You say WOW?!

8. ibm

ibm Member

wow. pls move the 1st round to february. :cool:

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It seems too rare for whatever reason seeing Yao be the go-to player that carries the team for 7-9 straight possessions. He hasnt been that "hot hand" for a while. He gets a consistent within the flow of the offense 20-10 every game. Which is good but sometimes he needs to go from 15 shots to 25 when its needed.

10. slimichael85

slimichael85 Member

Interesting finding

11. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

What's with the sarcasm? All this means is that if we get the ball to Yao in scoring position, we win ball games.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Adelman represents a drastic improvement over JVG in my mind in the respect that this statistic reveals. Sure, Yao's turnover rate (normalized per usage rate) is his highest in his career, but so is his FG%. That basically means that, even though Yao is shooting fewer FG's per game than he has in the past, most of his looks are good ones, and the team is finding more creative ways to get him the ball where he has a good position to score it.

Also, his minutes per game are way down relative to previous years, so factor that in when you are asking yourself why Yao's scoring is down so much this year. In the end, it all comes back to winning, so let's hope it keeps going and that Yao stays healthy to see this team through to its natural finish (hopefully in the WCF and beyond).

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that would be my guess as well. 25+ for yao means yao is having a good game and probably, for whatever reason, that the other team is giving him a more traditional defensive look (single teams from an arrogant defender like ben wallace, or just not much fronting) and thus letting him get off more shots. yao shooting more and having a good game are two things that are probably going to make the rockets win lots of games. unfortunately, they aren't really things we can force to happen. yao either plays well or not, and we can only hope the opposing team is dumb enough to let yao go 1-on-1 a large percentage of the time instead of doubling and/or fronting, which leads to turnovers and lower percentage yao.

and for whatever reason, i'll post this in this thread since it's about weird statistical trends (may have already been mentioned). Clutch, remember when you said the rockets had won something like 40 games in a row when yao and tracy played and the rockets scored 100+ points? isn't it weird that in possibly mcgrady's last game as a rocket, the game against milwaukee, the streak was snapped as we lost with 112? once that streak got mentioned i started watching for it and it and the mcgrady era may have disappeared in one fell swoop.

14. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Rockets undefeated whenever we score more than our opponents. ;)

15. tdlemon

tdlemon Member

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It could also mean that when the opposing team plays poor interior defense, they'll yield more points to Yao.

17. Yao_no1

Yao_no1 Member

I cann't agree with you more :)

18. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

The other thing is that Yao doesn't force shots up as much. He's getting smarter about it and only takes shots in which he's confident in.

If he's not, then he'll pass it out. So even if he did get the ball more, he might not shoot more.

19. Kevin_chn

Kevin_chn Member

"The snag in such sort of anecdotes is of course that people cannot distinguish cause and effect."

-- D.B. Broadbent, Non-Auditory Effects of Noise, from Science Survey

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We'd have to secure home court advantage by then, though.