1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trying to move up for Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 8, 2001.

1. UofTOrange

UofTOrange Contributing Member

Ok I did some research here goes:

Chris Anstey-No longer in league
    Martin Muursepp -No longer in the league
    Priest Lauderdale - No longer in the league
    Efthimis Rentzias - With hawks, but apparently didn't play this year
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas - Good player, doesn't seem to be able to stay health though
    Radoslav Nesterovic - Has potential, but 4.5 points a game is his best stat
    Andrei Kirilenko - with Jazz, but didn't paly this year
    Mirsad Turckan -Need I make a statement???
    Vladimir Stepania - 2.8 ppg, 3.8 rebs in 9.7 minutes. Actually ok stats for that little playing time
    Priest Lauderdale - No longer in league

Now throw that in with Nowitski and Stojakovic and it doesn't look so good.

------------------

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I think teams shouldn't draft players unless they have ATLEAST one year of an American College. Yes, that includes all of the High School kids.

But hey, its their choice to bomb the pick with a foreigner (Mirsad Turkcan).

------------------

You also forgot Hanno Mottola the Fin for the Hawks. He looked pretty good in limited time.

You also forgot countless others like Big Jake, Hedo, etc.

[This message has been edited by NYKRule (edited June 08, 2001).]

3. MManal

MManal Member

U of T Orange, Predrag Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas (when healthy), Dirk Nowitzki have all been very good foreign players and were drafted straight out of Europe. The jury is still out on players like Hidayet Turkoglu, Jake Tsakilidis and Wang Zhi Zhi, but Turkoglu showed plenty of promise this season and Tsak and Wang didnt look bad either. There is no guarantee that a foreign player will be great, but its not smart to be completely closed off to them.

If given the choice of taking a skilled foreign player that can shoot and drive as opposed to a HS or freshman athlete that can jump through the gym and has no skill development, I'd take the skilled foreign player with the complete game. Obviously this is subjective b/c you dont take all foreign players over all raw players but you get the point, I wouldnt totally discount foreign players like you seem to be doing.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. MManal

MManal Member

U of T, you need to take a look at where those players were picked in the draft. Most of them were picked after the first half of the first round where it becomes increasingly difficult to find studs. Also, I forgot to mention Toni Kukoc in my post.

------------------

Draftsource.net

5. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

most of the other players stated are big guys, and European big guys just doesn't work out...

Scouts see them rebound and block shots overseas and think that it will translate, but it rarely ever does. I honestly believe Nowitzki and Stojakovic falls under a different category, and perhaps so would Gasol. We won't know til after a couple of seasons.

I for one am not too excited about getting Gasol, I think we need all 3 of those picks. We have quite a few holes to fill, and I think Richard Jefferson would be a nice fit at the 13th pick. We need a player that plays D and can finish, and Jefferson fits that bill perfectly. On top of that, we need a center, and I think the Rockets can get Loren Woods at 19 or at the very least Ken Johnson. Add a backup point in case Moochie leaves, and the Rockets will have done an excellent draft. Gasol could have superstar potential, but the Rockets need the supporting cast to carry them into the playoffs.

------------------
    Louisville Rockets my ass

6. UofTOrange

I totally agree with you. I just think in this case I would rather have the high school player. Yes I know this is a slightly unfair comparison but which three would you rather have: Kobe, Garnett, McGrady or Predrag Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas (when healthy), Dirk Nowitzki? i would take my three.
    This whole draft is a crap shoot and for every Efthimis Rentzias I throw out there I am sure you could come back with Jonathon Bender (jury still out but you get the point). I just think that Gasol's stats aren't that impressive overseas and they won't be that impressive over here. I am not totally against foreign players, but in this case there is no I can believe he is a top 10 or 15 pick.

------------------

7. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I think we should have a private workout for Gasol and let him play some one on one with one of the Sf's we like and see if Gasol stands out. I think it's a huge risk to draft a foreign who stats aren't even that impressive. But to trade 3 draft picks for a chance at him is insane. Rudy must be on crack or something. It's not like Gasol is the sure thing and is gonna be as good as Peja or Dirk. Plus the guy is a HORRIBLE free throw shooter. 56% from the line is like Shaq percentage.

------------------

8. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I have no idea how good or bad Gasol is or will be. But I would like to ask this question and see who is brave enough and honest enough to answer. How much would you have pissed and moaned last year if the Rockets had drafted Turkoglu?

------------------

9. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Moe, I would have been angry but the kings drafted him with their own pick. They didn't go through any trouble. While the rockets plan to trade 3 first rounders just to try to get a shot at him.

------------------

10. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

If the Rockets don't keep atleast 2 of their draft picks, I'd be very disappointed. The person that's picked at #10 could be as talented as the #25 that's how deep this draft is.

------------------

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I can't take another bad draft. Why is Rudy thinking about trading 3 picks for a guy who averaged 11pts in Spain? If you gonna move up atleast try to get Griffin or Battier. And to top it off he won't be able to play in the U.S. this year.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

12. MManal

MManal Member

U of T, I wouldnt advocate taking Gasol over the likes of Curry, Griffin, Brown, etc. Also, Im not even saying whether its worthwhile to trade all 3 picks to move up (personally I dont think it is b/c this draft is loaded). The point Im trying to make is that I got the impression from your original post that the US player should always get taken over the foreign player which I dont see as holding water. There's really no hard and fast rule that can be made here, you simply evaluate the talent foreign or US and determine who you think is the best long term.

------------------

Draftsource.net

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I can't take another bad draft. Why is Rudy thinking about trading 3 picks for a guy who averaged 11pts in Spain?

Explain how we could've done better last year than Jason Collier and a first rounder this year. And, please don't criticize when you don't know about the information... he only played 23 minutes per game to get those stats, as do most Spanish players. So that's about a one point per two minute ratio, which if you gave him 36 minutes would give 18 points per game. And this is a guy still developing in many areas. In addition, read boville's post about his championship game, which was fabulous. Just because you haven't seen him throw down a one-handed windmill like Gerald Wallace doesn't mean the guy can't play.

One thing you fail to consider: Griffin and Battier are all but sure to be gone by 6. 6 was really the only attainable pick by packaging all 3 of our picks, and how is it possible to trade up for Griffin or Battier when you know they won't be there? You have to set realistic targets.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

14. drpepper

drpepper Member

It would be (3 1st round picks,could you imagine)INSANE and that is why he is saying it.Maybe there is a GM outthere that thinks Rudy T knows something special so they draft him in the lottery,then that just leaves another player that is lottery worthy in there.nice work!whups [​IMG]

------------------

15. UofTOrange

I agree. I think we are on the same page. I was overstating the point for not taking Gasol by making it to generalized and you called me on it.

------------------

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

While I'm not going to get into an argument about whether or not Mobley and Francis make boneheaded plays....I did not say a headless person couldn't play in the NBA. I said a Headless and Assless person could not play, meaning he has no strength to get his Vanderbilt strong-side plays into the game...he is a weak-side player right now, and maybe a stupid one at that. Playing weakside with no brains doesn't last too long in the NBA.

17. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Langhi did airball the best on the team. He drove the ball in really well even though he would fall flat on his face and get blocked by the backboard. It was great entertainment when he came into the game. It was like watching AMERICAS FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS all over again. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

18. heypartner

DaD,

You make it sound like the Rockets even know before draft day. My understanding is that GMs with middle to late picks chart several scenarios. Your card can't be played until the guy on your right plays his.

19. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

If the Bulls don't swap the pick for Stack or Wells, look for them to pickup johnson at four (Krause will reach...he was prepared to do it for crawford last season) or pick up someone for the Grizz and swap that person for them picking up Johnson.

------------------

20. heypartner

My main gripe with Langhi is that he looks lost out there. I have a sneaking suspicion Dan is a pretty stupid basketball player. He has all the talent and drive, but plays like his head is cut off. And a headless, assless player cannot make it in the NBA.