1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade V-Span to Spurs, acquire Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrieflySpeaking, Jul 12, 2007.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL, I wish.

2. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Because Dennis Lindsey is over there helping us as undercover agent? :D

Seriously, I guess Spurs don't want to block his way to NBA, remember his 2 team mates/friends are on their roster and won't be happy if they ruin his NBA opportunity.

#102 Kindger, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  3. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

hahha my thought exactly! :D

4. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Dennis Lindsey is now the anti-christ.

This is the worst trade in Spurs history. Scola and Butler for a second round pick and cash.

I am outraged.

LOL quote from spurs forums

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Probably because Scola has a 5 year deal on the table to stay in Spain. If he signs that deal, then basically he's no longer an asset to the Spurs. The Spurs lost their leverage because nobody is willing to give up much for Scola without assurances that he'll come to the NBA next season. Scola now had the upper hand. The Spurs could trade him to a team that he'd be willing to play for or he signs in Spain and they get nothing for him.

The Spurs already have Duncan, Horry and they just resigned Bonner and Oberto. In another year, they'll most likely also bring Splitter over too. So, the Spurs made the best of things and got what they could for Scola. They dumped Butler's contract from their books (he was buried on their bench) and they'll probably buy out VSpan for almost nothing and save some money.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

the catch is taking on jackie butler's contract.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

haha, looks like they hate it and Lindsy. Bunch cry babies, didnt Spurs just win the damn ring for them.

Anyways, they are saying it's a salary dump because Vspan probably would ask to teminate the contract without buyout from the Spurs.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Funny... in essense we traded one Luis for another.

Flores for Scola.

;)

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

BTW, it may take almost all of the MLE to sign Scola. His offer to stay in Europe, I think, is pretty big.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking up here. He plays out of the post like Duncan which means that he should have been considered a viable backup and possible future replacement for TD but Bonner may have simply pushed him off their roster. So why trade him to us? From what I see thus far, Morey may have pulled off a bit of a coup provided Scola really wants to play over here and decides to come over. We'll all know in 3 days.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL! Do all foreign agents go to the same school? Their clients are all "slaves" and "prisoners" when their contracts are held by NBA teams. :D

13. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

It seems that Rockets may have had some confidence that he would come before they agreed to the trade.

Now what do they plan to do to Rafer, JL3 to make room for Francis?

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

useless trade but whatever. still doesn't address the PF position. hopefully that'll come soon

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

16. abundance

abundance Member

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/predraft_vitals_04.html

According to the pre-draft measurements, he is 6'8" without shoes and 6'9.5" with shoes. The NBA rounds up to 6'10" for the NBA listing. Carl Landry is 6'7.75" without shoes and 6'8.5" with shoes. He is only 1/4" taller than Carl Landry. It all depends on which shoes they wear on the court.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, I see your point...

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

To everybody who thinks this deal seems fishy:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but is it really impossible that San Antonio was looking to dump Butler's contract, and nothing more?

The guy was hardly making money hand over fist, but when you're a championship team that has to open its wallet for tons of good players, you take any opportunity you can get to dump useless salary. Even a $2 mil contract can make a difference when you're pressed up against that luxury tax threshhold with three big-money players. They don't want to have to pay the luxury tax any more than anyone else does, and Butler wasn't giving them anything. Add onto that the fact that they didn't see Scola being of much benefit to them. So they gave up an asset they weren't planning on using (Scola) in exchange for a salary dump, because I'm sure they believe they can reach an agreement with Spanoulis to basically end his contract before the season even starts. Voila: $2 mil shaved off the cap instantly. Opportunities to do that are very, very rare... to not just get a contract that expires in a year, but a contract that can potentially be terminated immediately. Plus they get a 2nd-rounder.

That doesn't sound fishy to me. It sounds like it makes a lot of sense is what it sounds like.

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

20. Andy3000

Andy3000 Member

someone needs to call Scola and tell him the kind of Chinese endorsement deals Battier and Chuck Freaking Hayes are getting just because they are playing along side Yao.

Remember, you join Rockets and Chinese companies love you long time, :D :D :p