1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade V-Span to Spurs, acquire Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrieflySpeaking, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

wow i didnt see this coming...so what the REALISTIC chances of scola coming to the nba? anybody have a real idea?

2. uchlha

uchlha Member

im pretty sure adelman talked to spanuolis and guaranteed that he will get his fair shake and if it doesnt work out they would work out a buyout but i guess spanuolis was just way too stubborn and didnt wish to try to adapt to american life again. very disappointed in him but this move could turn out to be pretty good depending on whether or not scola is bought out and brought over.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Butler was very effective in limited minutes in NY. Rebounded decently and had a low post game. There's no reason he should have been a third string center behind Jerome James. I thought he'd struggle in San Antonio simply because he wouldn't get any more touches, but he was much worse than that. He was terrible for the spurs and obviously out of shape. They glued him to the bench pretty quickly. He's in no position to play meaningful minutes.

I've never seen Scola play. Anyone have any insight into his game? All I know is that the spurs wanted to bring him over but just couldn't.

4. abundance

abundance Member

Scola is looking at signing a new long-term contract to play in Spain. He may not sign it, if he knows he is coming to the Rockets. He'll get more playtime here as a starter than on the bench behind Duncan.

5. uchlha

uchlha Member

higher than spanuolis returning to us lol

6. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I think that's where the MLE will come into play. Most if not all will be used to try and convince him to come over. This makes it a little bit harder to go after Francis if he was in our plans at all. Steve just banked on 30 million, but he still might want more than the vet min.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Yep.

He's not a 4, though. I'd love the Rockets to trade him, because he's a starting caliber center in this league. I'd like to see him get minutes but not at Yao's expense.

8. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

Luis Alberto Scola Balvoa (born April 20, 1980 in Buenos Aires) is an Argentine basketball player. The 2.06 m (6 ft 9 in) and 104 kg (230 lb) power forward currently plays for Spanish TAU Cerámica and the Argentina national basketball team. He has double citizenship: Argentine and Spanish.

Scola started in Buenos Aires Ferrocarril Oeste youth teams, where he also made his professional debut in the 1996-97 season. After the 1997-98 season he moved to Spain to help Second Division Cabitel Gijón to get to First Division. He then signed with TAU Cerámica but stayed the 1999-2000 season with Gijón before moving to TAU Cerámica, with whom he is now playing his seventh season.

In the summer of 2005, the San Antonio Spurs of the NBA (who drafted Scola in 2002) attempted to negotiate with TAU to buy out his contract, but TAU wanted over 3 million dollars for the contract, which made it impossible for Scola to join Argentina national teammate Manu Ginobili. When the deal to buy out Scola's contract fell through, the Spurs instead signed Argentine teammate and good friend Fabricio Oberto.

In October 2005, Luis won the Spanish Supercopa with TAU Cerámica and earned the Most Valuable Player award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_scola

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Wonder what this means for summer league play.

Butler is currently on the Spurs team that's in Vegas right now. Do they cut McFarling and give Butler a jersey? lol

10. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

hey its a start lol

11. BigTex

BigTex Member

Butlers summer league stats thus far

game 1, 3-8 fg, 11pts, 5 reb, 6 ast, 5 to, 8 pf

game 2, 2-12 fg, 7pts, 5 reb, 0 ast, 1 to, 7 pf

game 3, 8-14 fg, 16pts, 12 reb, 2 ast, 2 to, 6 pf

game 5, 8-15 fg, 16pts, 7 reb, 2 ast, 2 to, 5 pf

game 6, 4-7 fg, 11pts, 6reb, 2 ast, 4 to, 8 pf

12. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Sweet, i hope scola will come here

13. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Take all the personal foul stats with a grain of salt in the summer leagues. Michael Jordan could foul out of a summer league game. It's all young or rookie refs who are told to go exactly by the book and want to impress, refereeing out of shape players.

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Game 3 and 5 impressive.

15. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Like I said earlier...he has until the 15th of this month to make a decision between Spain and NBA.

16. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4943775.html

WE SHOULD HAVE PICKED UP ON THIS!!!!!!

17. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Man if he comes here how great would that be...imagine our lineup

yao/deke
    scola/hayes/landry
    battier/wells/novak
    t-mac/wells/head
    james/alston/brooks

18. BigTex

BigTex Member

oops meant games 12345

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's fantastic only if he decides to come over here. I'd wait to see that happen before I start popping open the champagne bottles. This deal smells funny to me. Why would they want to trade for Spanoulis if he's not coming back to the US? Also, what are the terms of that buyout for Scola?

I can see why SA would trade Scola because they have no spot on their team for him but to trade him to a division rival - especially one who is in dire need of a PF seems fishy unless they know he's staying over in Europe. The only way this makes any sense is if both Spanoulis & Scola stay over in Europe. However, if Spanoulis ends up playing for SA this year, I predict that folks on this board will invent new derogatory things to say about him and his mother.

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Atta boy, $ball Morey. Make lemonade out of lemons.

Butler made $2.2 million last year and still has 2 years left on his contract, I believe, with the last being a team option. So, Butler is essentially an expiring contract.