1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade V-Span to Spurs, acquire Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrieflySpeaking, Jul 12, 2007.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We got Scola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AggieRocketFan96

So the Rox traded a guy that doesn't want to come back to the NBA for a guy that can't/hasn't/won't come to the NBA? Of all the teams Scola could play for in the NBA, you would think San Antonio would have been ideal as they have 2 of his good buddies from his homeland, Manu and Fabricio. Spurs may have the edge on this one, they at least have VSPAN committed to a contract unlike Scola who is committed to his team in Spain. Well at lesat we got this Jackie Butler guy who may prove to be the best PF option right now on the current roster.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well it is very importnat that either scola comes over this season, or spanoulis goes back to greece.

can you imagine what morey will look like if scola stays overseas and the spurs convince spanoulis to play for them?

still, nice move for jackie butler. i've seen him play a bunch of times for the knicks. he's a very good per minute rebounder and shot blocker. he has bulk and a nice soft touch around the basket. he is the future backup center for our team, and IMO he's easily worth a future second rounder and cash. plus he's only 22.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

He had a good year with the Knicks in the season before last but did a Marcus Banks after the Spurs signed him in last free agency.

Spurs benefit from this move by dumping Butler's contract. I guess they have no room for Deke now.

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

Get him over here :eek:

6. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Great trade but I'll save my excitement for Scola IF we're able to get him over here.

PLEASE COME HERE SCOLA!

7. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Could Butler take any minutes at the 4?

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek:

wow. i wonder if silly is crying to his momma about this too?

I hate dealing with the spurs...they have that stigma that they can do no wrong, and rightfully so. I'm not sure why they want vspan, but i'm guessing its a long term gamble for them. They dont care if he stays in europe for a few more seasons and the contributes to there team in 2010 or so. Who knows. Should be interesting to see how it turns out

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Wow, not bad indeed.

Scola is a big time Euro who EVERYONE is high on. Butler has potential. Isiah desperatley wanted to hang to him but couldn't spend the money to match the Spurs' proposal.

Boy, this could work out VERY nicely if Scola pans out.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

He plays the 4 as well but IMO he's a lesser player than Chuck Hayes, more height, less rebounding.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WHAT??????

THIS IS FAN- FRICKEN - TASTIC !!!!!!!!

Hopefully we can get him over here, he can start right away.....

Dennis Lindsey must think he can get V-Span to change his mind, or maybe they just want some cap relief.

DD

#51 DaDakota, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  12. uchlha

uchlha Member

guess what that means? WE ARE BUYING ANOTHER 2nd ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR LOL

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

how does this buyout thing work if he does want to come here? an nba team can only contribute a certain amount towards the buyout am i right? so i imagine a contract we give him would have to be large enough to where he's getting paid and he can use the rest to pay off his former team? a bit confused on it.

i guess there's a chance, we can basically offer him the starting pf position.

on another note, do you think the spurs have knowledge about scola's intent on playing in the nba this year or ever and perhaps moved him because of it?

14. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

trading a player who wasnt going to come back to the team for a 4 and a back up 5.....not bad at all

15. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

My dream lineup now.

James/Brooks/JL3
    Tmac/Snyder/Head
    Battier/Wells/Justin Reed (I think EVERYONE forgot that we acquired him)
    Scola/Hayes/Landry(Mike Harris?)
    Yao/Butler/Deke(Mike Harris)

Looks good Guys?

#55 WhoMikeJames, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  16. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

It's pretty obvious the Spurs have given up on trying to get Scola over to play for them, I don't see how the Rockets could fare better, but you never know.

I just hope V-Span doesn't decide to play, I mean their situation at PG isn't the best. They have TP starting but after that Vaughn, maybe they'll guarantee V-Span a backup role and he'll come over.

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Yeh, didn't you have a list of underrated players before the season and had Chuck Hayes and Butler on it?

18. uchlha

uchlha Member

so uh whered rafer vanish to lol. next move needs to involve a trade with the following: rafer/JL3/Sura's Contract/Reed

19. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

So our roster is now:

Yao/Deke/Butler
    Scola/Hayes/Harris or Landry
    Battier/Bonzi/Snyder
    Tmac/Head/Bonzi/Snyder
    James/Alston/Brooks

With tradeable: Sura, Head, JLIII, and Novak

Our first unit is big and athletic.
    Our Second is smaller but quicker, with lots of interchangeable parts.
    All of this assuming that Scola comes over and can actually contribute. Well Morey said he had a trade ready for a PF, so now we can't get mad at him for passing up on other PF's. Brooks looks like a Speedy C. clone, but with better range. Harris is Hayes but with offense. It's all slowly coming together.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Great Move.

If VSpan decides to play for the Spurs, he's getting the Quitten treatment.