1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

No, he is going to be guarding a lot of 3’s.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was going by your earlier post here which pretty much sounds like it's a foregone conclusion:

[Chriss is not mentally an NBA player. He should be working at Taco Bell or McDonald's and not counted on by a professional team......After the Chriss option is declined, the Rockets will save even more money.]

3. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, it is highly likely his option is declined.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We can also consider that we can both decline the option, and resign him. We will have his Bird rights, and doubtful other teams will out-bid us, if we want to keep him. I don't really think teams need RFA status for guys who are trying to prove themselves.

Even if he pulls off one Cato-game in pre-season (we need to decide on Option before Oct 31st.), seems prudent to just decline the option. If he proves himself, it's likely because he responded well to Paul and Harden, and they will talk him into re-signing in the Summer as a UFA for a contender...with better Bird raises than any other team can produce.

BigMaloe, Vivi, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  5. craguin

craguin Member

RE: declining Chriss' team option...

CBA FAQ #47. First round draft picks operate under a different set of rules?
    Teams have until the October 31 preceding the player's second regular season to exercise their option for the player's third season. Likewise, they have until the October 31 preceding the player's third regular season to exercise their option for the player's fourth season (see question number 57 for more information on options). If the team invokes both options (keeping the player for all four seasons) and submits a qualifying offer after the fourth season, then the player becomes a restricted free agent (see question number 42 for more information on restricted free agency). If the team declines either option, then the player enters free agency as an unrestricted free agent.

However, if the team declines either option and the player becomes a free agent, the team cannot re-sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised its option. In other words, teams can't decline an option year in order to get around the rookie salary scale and give the player more money. This applies to all types of signings, including the Bird exception, the Mid-Level exception, and cap room.
    ----- -----

Hui, Plowman, Y2JT and 3 others like this.
  6. heypartner

yep, read that yesterday. Should have quantified my "outbid" remark. I'm assuming he won't receive a lengthy $4m+ offer that would outbid us....considering we'd have the Bird raises and extra year at our disposal. Harrell only got a 2yr/$12m deal, for comparison.

In total dollar terms, we can top Harrell's contract pretty easily. Or we can do a $4m, one-year, and retain Bird Rights for another contract ... which other teams can't do.

I'm mainly thinking out loud here, trying to reconcile Tilman/Morey dropping salary/tax, leading to Chriss's team option being quite a risk for them, yet us being able to decline it and still "match" should he become an NBA player.

#746 heypartner, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Vivi likes this.
  7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

The deal hasn’t gone through officially right? Is Morey trying to swing a 3rd team deal for our starting SF?!

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its a tough call. you only have until the end of preseason to decide if this kid will be worth more or less than $4M next year. we can't afford to increase our tax bill next year which will be higher than this year's. letting him UFA means we couldn't really "match" any offer. so if he shows any sort of promise i'm guessing he pick up the option. however, if he sucks... he's 21, big, and athletic and is probably worth giving him this year and next to develop. even if he isn't worth more than the vet min, $4M/1yr isn't grossly overpaying him or creating an immovable contract.

i'd say morey will lean towards picking up the option. it protects us incase he has a breakout year, and it doesn't hurt his tradability if he sucks.

plus if we decline his option, he may be less tradable this year. will the hawks or heat prefer him to go into UFA next summer... or RFA the summer after next? probably the latter has more trade value.

craguin likes this.
  9. heypartner

That's a $10m option for Chriss we are talking about (salary+tax). Good point about tradeability, though. We might be able to showcase him enough in a Cato-way to sucker a non-tax team.

I'm thinking it's dreamland to consider him un-"matchable", meaning most lotto busts who don't get options picked up, don't just blow-up. I mean, GSW did not pick up Looney's option and still resigned him, and that dude was legit playable by arguably the best dynasty of history. Heartless busts like Chriss are often that way, because they know they are going to take their rookie-scale fortune and walk away from the NBA because it's too hard...bank their huge Rookie scale, and chase booty in Europe or China for $2m a year or more...loving life.

Harrell only got $12m total with his Bird Rights ... and Chriss has shown nothing about "getting Basketball" compared to the over-drive mentality of Harrell. I consider that "matchable" and also Chriss's ceiling skill wise.

I know everyone will point to Whiteside as journeyman turned huge contract, but much more FRPs get options dropped and don't blow up...and they aren't yet even showing Looney, Harrell type NBA effort and getting it.

$10m is a lot.

craguin likes this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its true! most likely he wont break out this year and signing him for the minimum next summer would probably cost half that.

i'm not sure he was actually in our on-court plans or future plans when this trade was made. it is very possible the trade was made 100% to turn ryno's cost into more cap friendly and tradable pieces.

i just think there is some merit to picking up the option. makes him more tradable, we lock him in for another year rather than risk losing him next summer... lets not lose sight that he's 21, big, athletic, and one of the quickest players ever to 1000 blocks, steals, and 3s. it would be better to develop him for 2 years before giving up. plus having him go into FA in 2020 rather than 2019 would be beneficial to our cap since 2020 would be when knight comes off the books.

D-rock and Shark44 like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's gonna be interesting to watch what the Rockets do with Chriss in terms of picking up the option. If Chriss shows anything they probably need to pick it up to make him more tradable to another team wanting to have his rights for another season if they feel they can get something out of him.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

....Still waiting for Morey to post welcome videos of Knight and Chriss on twitter like he normally does with new additions....

Nook, Richie_Rich and saleem like this.
  13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Deuce,

The biggest thing i heard in the last week before the trade was a need for support behind CP3. Hence, my "decrease the drop." A couple of scenarios were being looked at for a guard and a tweener. Miami was in play but wanted a third team to acquire someone on their wish list.

Also, from someone close to PHX camp: Knight is a high risk, low reward guy. I was told that he's healthy and wanted out of Phoenix, yet another Free Bird. So, I've been told to expect some surprises from him. He can score in bunches and could be a streaky guy off the bench. The intangible is that he's considered to be one of the better ball handlers in the league. Dependable.

Chriss is the interesting part. I've known for awhile that the Rockets were talking to PHX to see about guys not named Dev.

Tyson was in heavy play. MDA is a fan, and he's security for any Cap/Ne injury. But, it came down to youth and potential.

I think this trade works out well for Houston. You lost Ry, who stopped shooting the ball. In turn, you get a guy who can and will shoot, along with a younger big who may just need a fresh start.

Ryan was a #Freebird , again, in Houston. He was not happy with his role, but he was professional about it. Earlier posts by me suggested a decrease in confidence and general distance. Knight also wanted out of PHX. My ties down there tell me a lot of guys are unhappy with their role and feel that Dev is the only guy with support.

Chriss is a guy who is not outspoken, but I'm just going with an Ear who says his athleticism will be a huge plus on offense and defense. He needs help on D, but so did Harden, and he's improved.

#753 Codman, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i feel like the transaction is at last complete and official now that @Codman has finally weighed in :D

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Haha, I appreciate that. But, Morey keep me on my toes. I know he's not done. By the deadline, he will somehow bring in significant help, unless we don't need it.

IMO, I think we need one more big. My boy can still play, but we're awfully think if Clint is hurt.

We'll likely sign a familiar face.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the education!

So, you're suggesting BK was not brought in for a quick flip? No Johnson back for Miami to mitigate their lux tax bill?

Is a putative Suns - Heat Dragic deal uh, 'hot'?

Howcum Noah was not stretched?

Thanks and best to you!

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not the Dwightmare returneth?
    Not Joey D for the 3rd time?
    heh & heh

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i was thinking we still need that classic 3&D wing to cover for ariza's loss, a guy who we can just stick on the opposing team's best player when necessary. as far as bigs go, with capela/nene/hartenstein/zhou/chriss i was thinking we already have enough bodies on the roster. btw i made mention yesterday about the way chriss got switched onto harden in our last meeting on 3/30 and was able to defend him very well, forcing 4 consecutive bricked 3's in the first half. got me wondering if chriss is one of the very few guys who could eventually down the road with his length and athleticism -- be able to stick KD!

HP3, hakeem94, ArtV and 1 other person like this.
  19. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

I agree start your 5 best players

Ennis: Career Point Avg = 6.4 Total rebounds = 3.2 PER = 11.7

Melo : Career Point Avg = 24 Total rebounds = 6.5 PER = 20.3

20. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Please God not Omer.