1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Knight's last full season:

12.4 PER, .502 TS%, -4.5 BPM, -0.7 VORP, -5.32 RAPM (2nd worst PG in the league).

Dude is a total bum.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Knight is not good.

This move, in and of itself, was just to save some tax dollars. Knight will be our 4th guard and will almost never play. Chriss, from what I have seen and read, does not appear to be an NBA quality player.

So from a pure talent perspective, when looking at this trade without any context to its implications down the road, we probably downgraded. As much as RA sucked, he could at least play in some regular season games. And I'd take Melton over Knight on my team regardless of salary.

My hope is that the $$$ saved here will make Tilman more comfortable with spending money elsewhere this season. Also, as much as I liked Melton, he was only going to be our 4th guard. So trading out your 4th guard for a worse 4th guard isn't something that will kill your team.

daywalker02 and kevC like this.
  3. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

I think if this trade was reversed and RYNO had been playing for the Suns the past few years and we ended up adding him and Melton to this team we would think Morey had fleeced the Suns on that deal too. It actually looks better on paper. People would be saying Anderson had been playing on a bad team and was going to be getting wide open 3's all day. I'm not saying that the deal isn't good but both teams are swapping guys that don't work for them
    We added:

Carmelo Anthony
    Bruno Caboclo
    Marquise Chriss

Three talented players but all three bone heads. Caboclo and Chriss will become the new DMO vs Jones with everyone wondering who is the future and I think we are going to get the same outcome as before.... Neither.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think both are total trash but within a serious Top 2-3 team in the league those 2 should be close to end of bench candidates.

I agree a little here, after the ACL tear, he should have lost a lot of his athleticism.

The one season 19 ppg in Phoenix displayed his offensive ability but provided that he can only play up to 15-18 mpg there is no way he comes close to averaging 12 ppg and we surely dun need him to.

And he is awful defensively.

I love that PJ Thicc has upped his production to 11-12 ppg in the Playoffs, I would rather have him taking the shots.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meh trade.

This was using Melton to save money, and hopefully making it easier to make more moves down the line.

Knight was bad before having a major surgery. Chriss has some potential, but I liked Melton more.

Would have much preferred Bazemore for our 1st and keeping Melton.

Little Bit and mfastx like this.
  7. AB423

AB423 Member

Woohoo, finally got of useless Ryno.
    I actually like Chriss from the games I saw him play, he can hit a 3 pointer from time to time.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HOLY **** !!!

Morey is GOD !

Easier to flip 2 smaller contracts than one huge one.

DD

#508 DaDakota, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    luckyman76 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah. Caboclo and Chriss are nowhere nearly as interesting as Dmo vs Jones and neither was selected by the Rockets.

10. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Knight was legit in Bucks and even Pistons uniform. This is more like another low risk, high reward move by Morey. We already knew what we were gonna get from Ryno, but Knight coming back from an injury could still have game. Chriss has the upside tools and hopefully playing next to Harden and Paul, Chriss can develop into Capela lite. I like Melton but he was needed as a sweetner to get the deal done.

Above all else, we got 2 positions of need. Defensive interior big man and pg/sg depth. Given CP3's injury history and Melo's lack of defensive identity, I think these 2 players could really prove to be critical in times of need. We're a contending NOW team and I like these insurance players who could potentially step up when unexpected injuries arise.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

I don't like that we had to trade Melton had it been someone else it would have been great i just get that feeling that he is going to be something special.

Little Bit likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Calling a 21 yr old big man who can hit 3's and play defense useless is ludicrous. With the right team and organization around him he could end up being better than Capela.

luckyman76 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And I'd like to think that Wright's struggles over the past couple of years are temporary. He was pretty damn good before he went to Phoenix. Let's hope we get some version of Wright that's closer to that one.

I have a good friend who's a big Suns fan and neither of us can tell who got the better of the deal. I guess that's a good thing. No obvious winner or loser. I could see where Anderson, despite the contract, could be a contributor off the bench for us but I'm not disappointed he's gone. I didn't watch the Summer League and have no opinion on Melton...other than he was a 2nd rd pick and those are more often misses than hits. I guess we'll see...

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can say the VERY same thing about *any* future, very late, first round pick.

Tell us honestly, would you feel the same way had Morey added the 2019 FRP rather than Melton?

hmmmm....That question might be IDIOT

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Here we go again with postbadlee over-valuing players.

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I wished they had traded for Tyson Chandler instead of Knight but I'm not mad. If that's the best deal then cool. Maybe Suns will buyout Tyson mid season and we can pick him up. Sacramento must be so jealous that they have been replaced by the Suns as Rockets trading partners.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think Chriss is going to help alot. Nene is to old now and Chriss could have a lot of Capella in him with the ability to shoot

Brandon Knight is okay but I dont really care about the regular season and would like to see our boys get more rest. MDA needs to tone it down with CP3 during the regular season

Elephant810 likes this.
  19. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Chriss talent is pretty impressive...if we can bring out his best as Caps backup.... i would be thrilled

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Oh if he is on the team he’s going to feel it no question. Dude still needs to grow up and our vets won’t let him get away with anything.
    I hope you’re wrong regarding stretching Knight. If he could regain his form, he could help in the short term and be a decent trade piece in the future.