1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Guys a 1st round pick in the low 20s is about the same as a 2nd round pick in the 30s.......we don't need any more developmental players - and that is what you would get there.

Our window is NOW, we need to go for it in the next 2-3 years and then start over.....probably by trading Harden as he begins to decline...

:)

DD

#801 DaDakota, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    topfive likes this.
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Can anyone name a time a player has fit in well in the Morey/Dantoni system after struggling initially? I don't feel like its something people pick up after a certain amount of time.

3. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

james ennis the third

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is probably this year's Joe Johnson

Rocket River

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is just feeling the pressure to perform during the regular season.

Once that is over with, he is going to be really awesome in the playoffs.

[​IMG]

6. valorita

valorita Member

I remember PJ struggling early.
    His was used as a perimeter defender which is not his forte and I remember thinking Luc > Ariza > PJ.
    Now, he is a valuable cog.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I've seen enough of this guy. He tries hard, but he doesn't fit. He doesn't do what we need from that position. Defensively, he moves his feet a lot but doesn't adjust any better than the guys who don't. He moves his hands a lot but doesn't accomplish any more than the guys who don't. He's clumsy and he fouls people. He's not particularly good at rebounding or boxing out.

His judgment with the ball is abnormally poor for a guy at his position with his experience. He's a willing passer but not a good one. His shooting ... Let's not even talk about his shooting. And he's still not switching when he should. I salute his diligence at mano-a-mano defense, but in our system, we're better off with five guys who are willing to switch and who make good, fast rotation decisions.

Look at House. He doesn't work half as hard as Shumpert on defense, but he keeps his balance and agility and focus, and his rotation decisions are excellent. He's not even worse at making a play for himself. And the ball actually goes in the basket.

I don't expect Rivers to shoot this well every night. But at this point I'd put him in the rotation and make Shumpert earn his way back in.

8. Chamillionaire

It has taken longer than I'd expected, but I think he's starting to come around. He's rebounding more and is improving his switch D. I just hope his shot comes back during the playoffs. We need him hitting those at 40%. If he's not hitting those shots, more PT for Rivers, House, Green.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

What makes you say put Rivers "back in" the rotation. He was never out of it, they just sat him in 2 games. Based on the minutes he was getting, I think it's pretty clear Green is the one Shumpert replaced.

I guess I'm seeing something else, because Shumpert has clearly improved from what I've seen. If we were to go with an 8 man rotation he would be on the outside, but in a 9 man he's a noticeable defensive upgrade over Green. After some inexcusably stupid shots when he first got here, he's been much better recently. The 3 ball is the only thing he isn't doing, and even a few of those are starting to fall in the last few games.

I think people were predisposed to not liking Shumpert becuase he's the personification of "luxury tax savings" but i think he's starting to help the team.

10. Chamillionaire

I'm all for keeping him at the back of the rotation. Would like to see how much Green and Faried are going to contribute here on out.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't be in the rotation. But if someone is injured (like Green now) hopefully he can step in and contribute.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

has been contributing when hes been playing. people already have a predisposition of just hating everything he does. well that's just unfortunate for them. hell definitely be in the playoff rotation.

biff17 and Plowman like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Nah harden is a rocket fo life

I agree he will eventually decline tho

What needs to happen when that starts is he can fake an injury and get some well deserved time off .... and then we get a high pick.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I, for one, can’t believe that trading multiple assets for a proven mediocre basketball player didn’t work out. Truly shocking stuff, guys.

#814 J Sizzle, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    slothy420 and pippendagimp like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he actually looked better last nite than usual. but still a square peg in a round hole

16. hakeemthagreat

One thing I like about Shumpert, outside of his defense, is he's a solid ball handler & decent playmaker passer

biff17 likes this.
  17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You clearly don’t know what an asset is in the NBA. It’s not the same as on clutchfans.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I feel like Shumpert will either be an X factor for us in the playoffs or a complete dud. No in between.

Here's to hoping his championship experience comes through in the playoffs.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Even if you don't acknowledge our largest expiring contract and our only 1st round pick as assets, which they are, wasting them on a proven bad basketball player remains dumb.

20. s3ts

s3ts Member

i like Shump's confidence. and maybe some of his passing.

everything else about him, i hate.