1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Shumpert has gotten better since Cleveland. But yeah, in terms of gravity and how he does for the Rockets....we will have to see.

heypartner likes this.
  2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

jogo likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Shumpert is a good locker room presence. Hopefully he can push harden since shumpert got the creditability

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

I knew it. Called it way back on page 19.

Jontro and topfive like this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Harden is the good locker room presence. He should push Shumpert.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He needs to hit his shots when open first

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not wanting to let this to slip off the front page..for now....Before it's all said and done, this "under the radar" move will be lauded copiously.

This is your shakeout/ "buy in".

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jontro likes this.
  10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Official Repeater Tax Appreciation thread coming?

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Does it make anyone else cringe the way we will throw away draft picks for tax savings? How can we improve the team with no picks?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Maybe this is what Tilfart meant when he said #whateverittakes @Mathloom

Whatever it takes to get under the LT.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

2nd rounders and free agent signings?

You know how we got Clark and House.

amaru, BigShasta and D-rock like this.
  14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Which is like quitting your job and living off of day-trading and lottery tickets.

I am glad Morey is aggressive and seeks to maximize all tools at the team's disposal. But I think most of us are disappointed he has not made this season's success more of a priority over future season success. And this is coming from someone who doesn't have a problem with planning around the repeater tax.

In Morey's defense, it sounds like strengthening the bench was the priority at the trade deadline, but when preferred trades fell through, repeater tax avoidance became Plan B.

I am ultimately okay with this, but am still deflated since Shumpert has not been the House substitute I was hoping for. Bimathug tweeted that the Rockets better spend aggressively the next couple seasons, and I agree. I hope we make use of Shump's bird rights this summer. Of any GM, Morey is probably the most likely to try to utilize that particular contractual resource.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Obviously he meant whatever it takes to become financially responsible thus leading to some flexibility which could potentially result in acquiring free agents below market value when combined with the Warriors possible break up might lead to a championship if the Bucks, Sixers, Celtics and Nuggets happen to get worse and none of them acquire AD and Lebron doesn't recruit anyone.

So obvious dude, why you gotta take him out of context. :D

Corrosion, harold bingo and J.R. like this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

Your 1st sentence makes no sense there is only 1drafted player on Houston's roster currently and we still have our 1st next year.

Do you think we are going to continue to trade a 1st every year to get under the tax like the poster was implying?

We actually are in agreement on most of this, what I have an issue with is the narrative that we will be trying to get under the LT every year as the #1 priority number 1 picks be dammed.

Relativist likes this.
  17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Morey gives away first round picks like they were free candy, and with him drafting, they mostly are.

Easy likes this.
  18. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

You're right. Looking back at your post, I was narrowly and unreasonably thinking of free agent signings using only the vet minimum, which the Rockets almost exclusively relied on this year. The MLE is an important tool for improving the team (although I still consider its limited use this year with the Clark signing as within the scope of my analogy)

I do not believe the Rockets will continue to trade their 1st round draft picks for cap relief every season, but I mistakenly assumed from your post that you thought continued sacrifice of such picks without any direct benefit toward roster improvement was not a problem. My bad.

biff17 likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, first round picks for Morey are just trade assets. I've been saying this for a long time and lots of Morey apologists flame me for it. Morey's strength is not in first round drafting. He's not significantly better, if any, than other GMs. And I think he knows it. That's why he has no hesitation in trading first round picks if they get him what he needs. Those picks are not Morey's building blocks.

amaru and solid like this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

No biggie, it's nice to have a reasonable discussion.