1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Did it ever occur to you that Paul's max contract was all but guaranteed to happen the minute he didn't opt out of the last year on his previous deal so that the trade could have happened?

Did it also occur to you that if the Rockets went back on that understood agreement with Paul, the current president of the NBAPA, that the organization could have been pretty much blackballed by meaningful free agents from here on out because they went back on a promise?

So if those things didn't occur to you then yea you are "spot on"

#481 steddinotayto, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    BigMaloe, cbs1507, BMoney and 5 others like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think this is a good trade, Shumpert has been very good this year, he will contribute nicely

3. steddinotayto

We started the season with Ennis MCW and Melo. On February 6th we have Shumpert Rivers and Faried.

BigMaloe, dlite316, cbs1507 and 15 others like this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Good talk.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Durant is nearly unreadable regardless on who guards him. Dude is nearly 7 feet tall and has a high release.

Having said that, Shumpert has quick feet on lateral moves and has a reputation as a good defender which in most nights means he won't foul out before the completion of the 1st half.

robbie380 likes this.
  6. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It really was a franchise altering contract. It may be the worst in the history of the organization. That summer made no sense to me, a lot of smart teams gave out money as if the cap would raise exponentially.

Richie_Rich and Zboy like this.
  7. major_major

major_major Member

I don't hate this trade, but it's definitely underwhelming. It's like starving all day and coming home to hear that dinner will be leftover ribs from the weekend.

everyday eddie, Why not? and J.R. like this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

Rockets are a +31 since acquiring Shump, meanwhile Kings are -31.

This dude's a beast.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Fatigue injury due to heavy minutes and shortened rotation.

Would have very likely avoided it if that bum Ryan Anderson actually contributed something on the court or if we had someone else instead of him.

The bum ate up a chunk of our cap space and contributed nothing.

luckyman76 likes this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mike DAntoni coached Iman Shumpert on the Knicks so he knows him as a player.

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Now if ariza gets bought out I'll change my mind on this trade...ariza shump better then ariza luc(broke)

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with shump.

He’ll play very good with harden.

And he’s a elite defensive player that can handle the ball and playmake at the Rivers level.

We basically just got a a taller Austin Rivers.

Having two guys with that kind of defensive intensity on the wing will do wonders.

Plus him and Austin are good for 35% three point shooting which on paper is just as good as Ariza.

This was a better pick up than burks or the Memphis guys in the long run oncecint returns.

Also shump has championship experience which the grizz guys did not have.

Rockets got better and saved money ppl should really give Morey and Tillman a break they did better than the rumors we had been hearing.

Now I hope we can get under the tax so we have the full MLE to work with and gives us a fresh start on the three year repeater tax so Tillman can really spend money the next 2 years.

Mark my words that Gordon contract and the draft picks are going to bring us a superstar next year. Gut instinct.

Deuce, Hakeemtheking, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. Entropy

Entropy Member

Getting Ariza would definitely soften this disappointment over Schump.

14. steddinotayto

As my signature states, I'm the co-founder of the Otto Porter Movement and love the 3&D Messiah. That being said, if I had to pick between Shumpert at $11 mill while still keeping Gordon on the team or getting Porter and possibly having to ship Gordon out, I'd take the former 100% of the time.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Tony Allen was very physical though. Shump is more suited to guys his size and not the same type of defender.

I haven’t watched Shumpert at all this year so I just watched these vids and I’m not as down on the trade as I was. He still looks the same this year too.

D-rock likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

I think if Ariza gets bought out or waived, he's going to LA.

Richie_Rich and Little Bit like this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Iman Shumpert was starting in the Finals against the Warriors when the Cavaliers won the Championship, he played excellent defense against the Warriors and Iman helped slowed down the Warriors.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Plus shumps wife is fine so hopefully we see her at some playoffs games.

19. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

chris is holding the ball too much

either pass or shoot, you give the ball to harden with 2 seconds on the clock that far out

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

MDA CALL A ****ING TO