1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Hornets guard Kirk Snyder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Yoo Hoo !!! Yeah !!!!!!! I always said the Rockets needed some thugs on their team. He just needs to get some tatoos and then we can sign Flip Murray. You put Flip and Snyder on the court at the same time and you have two big ball hogs. Byron Scott said it and he just saw it this past week. He woas passing up open players to take his own shots. I hope this works out, at least moneyball says it will :D

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

As others have said, this was a very good pickup. He's young, athletic, has nice size and it a great value for his salary ($1.4M last season). He's signed through '08 (team option in '08). Excellent deal.

3. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Snyder could be a good pick up for the Rockets. Seems he's young and still developing his game kind of like that Gay fellow we traded to Memphis that we couldn't afford to wait for. Need to stop beating that dead horse.

I wouldn't mind them giving Pat Carroll a shot to make the team. We could use his shooting.

4. docgundy

docgundy Member

Alston/Banks/JL3
    Sura/Snyder/Head
    McGrady/Novak/Bowen
    Battier/Howard/Hayes
    Yao/Mutombo/Cato

5. opticon

opticon Member

The more i think about this deal the more i like it. Truth be told Snyder seems more Nba ready at this point then Brandon Roy does.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I would officially now be OK with picking up Flip Murray. With Snyder starting at the 2 and Murray coming off the bench for instant offense, we would be in much better shape then last year. If we could pick up Marcus Banks and Flip, I would call it an offseason.

Alston / Banks / Lucas
    Snyder / Murray / Head
    T-Mac / Novak / Bowen (IR)
    Battier / Howard / Hayes (IR)
    Yao / Deke

7. opticon

opticon Member

Hey but at least with loosing gay we gained a solid player in shane battier and got rid of stro and his contract all in one move.

8. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

So this means we actually have a guard who can dunk?

Great pickup. :D

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the jedi mind tricks won't work

10. Toast

Toast Member

Finally. A 2 guard with size. Just what the Rockets needed.

Well, a 2 guard with size who can play D and knock down open jumpers. THAT'S what the Rockets need. Hopefully Snyder fits the bill.

And for a great price! Any official word? Was it the small TE, or did we have to use the large TE?

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Thanks for the info Sooner. That along with his Roland Rating makes me think we got a steal. A young decent athletic SG with size and an outside shot to boot. There must be a negative to this. You can shed some light on that.

12. stq

stq Member

good pickup and GREAT VALUE !!!
    definitely moneyball at work...

probably that's why they didn't match Olando's offer on Bogan's
    similar player, alot cheaper...

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The article says we gave up cash and a swap of 2008 second round picks. I don't know much about this dude but that's a great deal to get an athletic guard with size. 35% from behind the arc ain't shabby.....

14. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I like the Synder pick up and some people have mentioned in the past he would make a great backup SG on our team.

Now to fill in the rest of the roster.

PG / Rafer / JL3
    SG / Snyder / LHead
    TMac / Battier
    PF / JHoward / Novak / Hayes
    Yao / Deke

I still think we need a starting caliber SG, PG and PF.

Snyder, JHoward, Battier and Rafer would be great coming off the bench. Seriously other than Yao/Tmac would these guys start on any Championship Caliber teams? Im not saying be stars but even be a starter? Battier has the best chance but think he would be more effective coming off the bench.

J

15. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Battier's too good to be comin off the bench

16. rserina

rserina Member

Well, I am not going to get too excited about Snyder because he is just a rotational player, but he gives us the ability to stay big at the two, he is more physical and a better shooter than Bogans, and he will be a good rotation with Head. And you have to love that we got him for so little.

But there are some issues here that merit following closely. I would not worry so much about the Snyder-Van Gundy-Sura conflict as I would that there is a history of these probglems with Snyder. Still, this is the kind of rotational player we need and we aren't going to expect a ton out of him: if we can contribute for 15-20 mpg, while Head gives us 20-25, and McGrady does spot dity there to fill out the remaining minutes, and our two spot is in decent shape.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

aelliott, could we have used our small TE and a future 2nd to get this guy? If so, that would be outstanding.

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Im just happy we didn't give up anyone.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Battier would start on a championship team in a heartbeat, assuming it's of the two-star variety. He's the ideal roleplayer for that situation, and is someone that you want playing 35-40 mpg, not coming off the bench.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

PG: Alston
    SG: McGrady
    SF: Battier
    PF: Howard
    C: Yao

Other than Alston starting at PG, it looks like it's gelling together. Synder will be a good backup at the 2.