1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Hornets guard Kirk Snyder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 14, 2006.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

2. CG202

CG202 Contributing Member

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Deseret Morning News, Friday, July 22, 2005
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600150353,00.html

'Veterans' not having successful summers

2nd-year Jazzmen struggling in Rocky Mountain Revue games

By Rich Evans
    Deseret Morning News

In an NBA summer league, second-year players are supposed to play a notch above their rookie counterparts.

Utah's Kirk Snyder brings the ball downcourt during Thursday's loss to Atlanta in the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Michael Brandy, Deseret Morning News
    With that expectation in mind, it's not a stretch to say that so far, at least one of the Jazz's two second-year "veterans" has been a disappointment.

And the other hasn't been a total success.

Coming into Thursday night's Jazz-Hawks Rocky Mountain Revue matchup at Salt Lake Community College, Kirk Snyder had played at roughly the level of an undrafted first-year free agent. In three games, he had shot 33.3 percent from the field, averaged 6.0 points per contest and grabbed exactly one rebound.

Disappointing stats, to say the least.

The other second-year player, Kris Humphries, had far better numbers but still hadn't delivered as his coaches had hoped.

"Obviously we need a lot more out of them, and we expect more out of them," said Jazz coach Jerry Sloan. "They're like the veterans in this league."

What Sloan and his staff expected was improvement, some evidence that the players had spent their offseasons doing something more than lying on a beach. What they've seen, from Snyder especially, has left them puzzled.

"For whatever reason, Kirk's struggled in a lot of these games," Sloan said, "in just about all aspects of the game — defense, rebounding, running the floor, shooting the ball."

Snyder's problem doesn't appear to be one of conditioning, however, Sloan noted.

"He looks in great shape," Sloan said. "He's strong and he can run the floor. Now he has to put all that together and make something happen."

Snyder appeared to make more of an effort to do that Thursday, playing his best game of the Revue, though that isn't necessarily saying much. While the Jazz were being crushed by the Hawks, 90-63, for their third straight defeat, Snyder made 4-of-8 shots for 12 points, with three rebounds, two assists and four turnovers.

Jazz assistant coach Tyrone Corbin, acting as head coach for the game, said Snyder benefited from cutting down on an activity that has hurt him this summer — thinking.

"He showed us a little bit more tonight," Corbin said. "He's been thinking a little too much, instead of just playing, and tonight he just put his head down and got on top of the basket."

Humphries, who is the Jazz's leading scorer for the Revue, led in this game, too, with 13 points. He made 5-of-9 shots and grabbed six rebounds. But even though his numbers have been respectable, Sloan said he'd like to see the youngster get more involved in team hoops.

"Kris has had moments, but he's struggled some, too," Sloan said. "He's got to learn to play with other people. He's always just caught the basketball and thought about himself. But that's not the way we play. A lot of guys can get shots, but sometimes those shots hamper your team's progress. If you've got a guy with a better shot, you give him the ball."

Corbin said it's not unusual to see players like Snyder and Humphries going through an adjustment period.

"It's tough for young guys who have been go-to guys to suddenly not be the go-to guys," he said. "They're still trying to get used to that."

Adjustment is much of what summer league is about, of course, with players trying to get accustomed to such things as NBA rules, a shorter shot clock and officiating.

Sloan said players such as Snyder and Humphries also need to figure out who they are and who they are going to be.

"Are they going to be support players or are they going to be stars?" he said. "And if they're going to be stars, they need to recognize that they have teammates and try to help them be better."

The Jazz's Revue entry had problems with that as a group Thursday, registering just 11 assists against 19 turnovers. The team's top-two draft picks, Deron Williams and CJ Miles, combined to go 0-for-11 from the field.

If it offers any consolation to the Jazz's draftees, the Hawks' top pick, Marvin Williams of North Carolina, was equally unimpressive. He committed eight fouls in 17 minutes and finished with six points. The leading scorer for the Hawks was Salim Stoudamire of Arizona, with 13.

Corbin said his team seemed a little tired, which seems a little odd, considering it had Wednesday off and no one is playing huge minutes. Whatever the reason, this Jazz team looked not dissimilar to the most recent regular-season Jazz, inasmuch as the Hawks shot 60.9 percent from the field while Utah shot a paltry 29.7.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

#64 thumbs, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  5. ty185

ty185 Member

now, can any of our capologists tell us how much is the rookie contract for a 16th pick in the 3rd year? -- in other words, did we use up our larger TE or smaller TE?

I would feel it's a GREAT trade if we used the smaller TE to get him. However, if what we used was part of the larger TE, then the only meaningful resource we have left is our MLE, which makes me a bit concerned.

6. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

All the 'Moneyball' stats say he is a good pickup. He looks like he has a positive impact when he is on the floor. He shoots decent at 45.7%. An okay 3 pt shooter and an average defender. Has some of that atheleticism that we crave.

He's averaging a whopping 10 pts 4 reb 2.5 assists in the Vegas Summer League. Looks like he played in 4 games. this is probably where we scouted him. He's definitely not a bad pickup.

Here's a not so glowing review of him by Byron Scott. But well, I don't think that much of Byron Scott as a coach so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/115251091515960.xml&coll=1

LAS VEGAS -- When the Hornets requested shooting guard Kirk Snyder play on their summer league team, Coach Byron Scott expected to see standout performances.

But after the first two games in the Vegas Summer League, Scott said he mostly has been disappointed in Snyder. Scott said Snyder is forcing too many shots and not showing enough improvement as a defender.

"His whole game right now has not got better, and that's disappointing," Scott said. "I think he's selfish, everything he's doing is trying to score. You got guys open on the post, and he won't throw the ball."

During Sunday's 99-80 loss to the Denver Nuggets, Scott stared angrily away after Snyder forced a jump shot, in which the ball bounced off the top of the backboard, just before the first half ended.

Most of the players competing are recently drafted players, free agents or in their first or second season. But Snyder is entering his third season, and he started 45 of 68 games at shooting guard last season.

Snyder has made 4-of-18 shots in two games in the summer league. On Sunday, he missed eight of 10 shots before finishing with 11 points.

It appears Snyder may be trying too hard to make exceptional plays, often taking ill-advised jump shots when he should have penetrated the lane.

In Friday's 91-72 loss to the Sacramento Kings, Snyder struggled with his ballhandling when the defensive pressure converged on him. Often, he went only to the right side of the court, where the Kings could trap and force him to make quick decisions with the ball.

"I'm trying to do stuff that I'm trying to get better at and that's why I'm here," Snyder said. "I think I'm a decent enough athlete to be able to have the mid-range game and that's what I want to incorporate into my game. I want to be able to create my own shot and get better at it."

Scott said he's not given up on Snyder but admits it could be a struggle for him to get substantial playing time next season. The Hornets plan to use Peja Stojakovic, who has accepted a five-year, $64 million contract, at shooting guard. Free-agent point guard Bobby Jackson, who has agreed to a multi-year, $25 million deal, is expected get minutes at shooting guard, too, when he is paired in the backcourt with starting point guard Chris Paul.

"When you are in summer league you still work on the fundamentals of basketball, you still work on playing with your teammates," Scott said. "That's just basketball. I don't care if it's summer league or preseason. He has to have the same attitude that he had last year."

Brandon Bass also struggled for the second consecutive game, finishing with two points after missing six of seven shots.

"I'm thinking out there too much instead of just playing with a flow," Bass said.

#66 Little O, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

about.com
    scouting report before he went pro

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AWESOME move, he is a big athletic 2 guard, and plays with an attitude.

Sometimes players take a bit longer to mature, let's hope he gets here and fits in and watches how hard Yao and Tmac work and it rubs off.

We are MUCH better this year in our supporting cast....gonna be 55+ wins....WOOOHOOOO !!

DD

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I like it. I really hope he gets along for Van Gundy for Van Gundy's sake. That picture of JVG screaming at him is hilarious but also a little concerning at the same time.

10. docgundy

docgundy Member

That is a hilarious picture JamesC.

JVG looks like he's about to get taken out. Give the midget credit for never backing down..

Snyder is one of the biggest steals this offseason. I remember when he played for Nevada they were saying he's the best guard in the nation and he would become an All-Star in the NBA. This will be his 3rd year, and 3rd years for guys who spent all 4 years in college means breakout year. He took a Nevada team that had no business in the NCAA Tourny to the Elite 8 or something like that.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Want anymore proof that JVG isn't involved in personnel decisions? ;)

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Because they signed Peja.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm guessing you're close to alone in this sentiment. But, Snyder's not bad and JL3 has potential.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we got Maxwell for cash from San Antonio
    in return

we got a CHAMPIONSHIP

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree with you on that one. Some players need the right coach or be surrounded by the right teammates. VG is a hard ass yes, but the team is full of "all for one" guys. I think if Snyder has the right encouragement around him, he might rise to the occasion - he's still a very impressionable kid. If he doesn't pan out - what do you lose? Plus, he is coming into this with little expectations so the chance for him to overachieve is good. I like this pickup - youth & athleticism for next to nothing...

16. anitasri

anitasri Member

Utah does that to you!

17. opticon

opticon Member

I love this guy all ready not only does he have mad hops he can piss off jvg. ;)

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/snydeki01.html

Some of the 10 he's compared with as being most similar at the same age...

Mickael Pietrus
    Nick Anderson
    Rolando Blackman
    Harold Miner
    Derek Smith
    Reggie Miller

and...

CHUCKY BROWN!

That's fate and I'm all over this deal. Way to go CD.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

True, but I think most of us wanted another 6'-1" shooting guard out of desparation for scoring. Something that never worked well between TMac, Yao and James- He only made passes when he couldn't possibly get a shot off.

I wanted MJ only because we had no scoring other than our 2 stars.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes, the sense of fear and dread up here is so ethereal, you can't see it...