1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Battier to Grizzlies for Thabeet, first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freeze00up, Feb 24, 2011.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...to me this was a pretty clear indication that we weren't going to attempt to resign Battier - and honestly, he would be better served at this stage in his career going to a contender(OKC would be perfect him now that Greene's gone).

Basically they gave up Battier(who they only had for two more months) for a chance to take a flyer on a big AND(most importantly) a potential mid first rounder. This is no different than what Denver or Utah did in that we cut out losses and tried to get value out of someone we weren't feasibly going to retain.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Grizzlies fans are rejoicing for getting getting someone to take Thabeet off their hands. I'm not expecting much of anything from him, but I hope he surprises me. He is only under contract through next year, so if he is as bad as most people think, he won't be on our roster for very long. I'll be sick if Ish turns out to be something special.

3. Apps

Apps Member

I'm actually surprised how positively people on this board are reacting to this trade. Thabeet has been pretty much a bust with flashes of competence since coming into the NBA. This trade is really all about the 1st rounder, which is even lottery protected at that. It's funny reading more negative comments in the Dragic thread than here in the Thabeet thread. IMO, the trade with the Suns was far superior to this one. The 1st rounder is really all we have going on here.

People need to stop thinking that Hakeem has some magical potion that he can give Thabeet to become great. The "project" label is just something that's used to calm the masses. If you ask any Grizzlies fan, they'll tell you that the guy is a dud.

And trust me, I really, really want to eat crow on this one. Just don't think that I will.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Especially after adding Ish's salary. Only Memphis players who would fit in that gap would be Tony Allen or Xavier Henry

5. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Don't the Rockets have a trade exception? If not, then maybe they do get one of those players.

6. anelka3913

anelka3913 Member

Memphis don't have trade exception? If morey gets Henry then he's the new god

7. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

To think Thabeet went #2 overall in a draft where a guy who continually p*wns him in Dejuan Blair goes in the 2nd Round...guess that shows the difference between organizations in Memphis and San Antonio

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Does anyone know what draft pick we received in this deal?? Memphis doesn't own their 2011 1st rounder.. is it their 2013 first??

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

You cannot combine a TE with players in a single trade. You can do a complex trade in which a player is traded for a TE which is then used to get the other player, but at least one team has to be under the cap to do that.

The wait on this details not to mention the protections is killing me.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% correct. There is more to this trade. I am wondering why we haven't gotten all the details.

Ish+Battier for Thabeet does not work salarywise. 1.3M more needed according to ESPN Track checker. Like rpr52121 said, Henry or Allen.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was all for trading Shane,but not for such a meager return. Thabeet is a bust.
    Big mistake by Morey. Dalembert would have been acceptable.

12. Apps

Apps Member

I know earlier, on this very page even, I expressed my doubt of Thabeet's ability (which I still do), but the more I think about it the more reasonable it becomes as to why Morey picked him up. He gives us great size that we are lacking at 7'3", and his value is pretty much all invested in his defense and ability to block shots, something that we sorely need from a big man.

He's essentially a tall dude that, if he gets playing time, can get a couple of BPG and alter shots. He's still an offensive wretch though.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CR_2kKujDsc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CR_2kKujDsc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Can't believe they picked this guy up, he's a stiff. Africa's version of Stromile Swift.

I expect to hear the Rox propaganda about how the Rox organization is the best in the league for developing big men. Good luck to the diehards around here that think thats going to work on this bust.

1 person likes this.
  15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Tony Allen would be nice.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed. It can't be too much longer before the details pour out.

As for the trade itself, I'll withhold judgment until I have all the relevant details.

17. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

This made me laugh so hard.

I still like the trade. It's the best we could do ... for now. We are still loaded for a Franchise Player Trade with the deals Morey did today.

18. delta69er

delta69er Member

Actually teams shied away from Dejuan Blair because of knee issues.

Anyhoo, the 2 great African centers in NBA history played for our organization and still have good ties with the team. Hopefully, they can step in and mentor the kid. The main problem is his work ethic; Thabeet was one of those kids who probably didn't like basketball but since he was so tall, he was pressured into playing.

19. Clutch34

Clutch34 Member

I think there must be a contract or unwritten rule somewhere that says the Rockets must first trade with Memphis before any other team.
    Who needs a D league when you have Memphis to farm your players. :grin:

Anyway, I am not a fan of Thabeet but I also wasn't a fan of Kyle Lowry and maybe in our system and in time Thabeet can improve.
    Not holding my breath but staying hopeful. Bring in Deke and Dream to work with Thabeet and see what they can do.

FREE TWILL! FREE TWILL!!

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wuD8IOGLwKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jordan Hill Vs Hasheem Thabeet lol